User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,088
It's not the first time it's been done - CR500AF

So this particular build has been done many times over, but I figured I would throw it in here for posterity's sake.

By combining the amazing torque, powerband and easy maintenance of the CR500 engine with the modern handling of the aluminum frames you get an incredible bike... or at least that's the story. I'm going to find out for myself.

This isn't my first rodeo with the CR500. I had one years ago and hated/loved it. I started by feeling I bought a bike over my head but by the time I sold it I absolutely loved it. It was one of the best trail bikes I've ever owned. Since then I've gone through more than a few different dirt rides but after spending ridiculous amounts of money trying to keep my Husaberg 470 going I finally decided to swear off valves and get back to basics. I want the ease and power of the 500 but not in that buckboard of a frame - hence the conversion.

CR500 motors have been getting shoehorned into Honda aluminum CR and CRF frames for over 10 years now. Service Honda started it and while you can still buy one from them in the neighborhood of $10k, it's been done enough times at home now that it's a well-documented process. In fact, you can even buy the necessary billet y-piece and all motormounts for less than 400 bucks. Cut off your old Y-piece, clean off the old mounts and drop the whole thing by your TIG expert of choice - it doesn't get much easier than that.

I've found it's cheaper to buy a whole CR500 that someone has left rotting in a corner than just the motor. I bought this one for $1500 and it's even got an E-Line 200W stator. I was able to finagle a street title for it so I should be able to make back most of what I spent on parts. It's got some other aftermarket stuff as well to sell.

The donor frame comes from an '07 CRF250R. Service actually builds theirs using the 250 frames instead of the 450 frames too. I haven't researched why but I should. The 250 motors seem to be time bombs, so it's not hard to find a blown up one. They take a fair bit of maintenance that needs to be kept up. I bought this one actually almost back together after losing the big end crank bearing. The PO had the bottom end rebuilt and it just needed the top end put back together. I'm in the process of finishing it so I'll be able to sell the engine. I bought this one for $1800.

The plan is to finish the 250 engine, ride it briefly just to make sure it's good and then yank it and start cutting the frame. I'm done with riding the 500 so I can pull that one now along with the pipe and electrics. So far the engine seems to be in great shape. I took the 500 for a 35-mile ride last weekend and the engine ran flawlessly. I can't say the same for the suspension and handling, but I'm very happy with what I bought as a plant.

I'll keep tabs on the cost just to see how far under the Service Honda price point I come. Stick around if you're interested...
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,068
nice

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Helikoptermann
bloody german...

Oddometer: 36
Consider this subscribed!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,596
I'm in. I have an 86 CR500 myself. Have been thinking of doing this for a long time but always have something else going on. Good luck.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post

I'll keep tabs on the cost just to see how far under the Service Honda price point I come. Stick around if you're interested...
You should be way under... I managed to come in just over 3K for my build.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Well, things just get better. A fellow inmate offered to sell me a 93 500 that's been ported and polished for $500. As I was looking for a CR125 or 250 on craigslist this morning to slap another 500 engine in I ran across a Gen 1 99 250 that had already been converted. The guy had pulled the 500 motor to put in a Gen 4 frame. I bought the complete roller for $700.

Now I'll have a runner by this weekend to ride while I build the Gen 4 frame. At the end the p/p motor will go in the new frame and the other motor will go in the old frame and go on the block. Score!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,088
You dog! I am jealous. When they're both running let's take them out for a spin so I get to see what I'm missing and or buying next.

So eventually the original steelie 500 you will sell as a roller then?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
You dog! I am jealous. When they're both running let's take them out for a spin so I get to see what I'm missing and or buying next.

So eventually the original steelie 500 you will sell as a roller then?
Definitely. My buddy over here is building a Gen 4 also but with a KX500 plant. We'll have to see what runs best.

The first 500 was pretty much a roach. The motor is good but I still haven't gotten it out as the swingarm bolt is still frozen after a week of Kroil. It's got some good parts though and the frame is street-legal. I'll see how the second one looks and maybe combine the best of both into one roller just to get some parts out of the garage. I'm tripping over two Husabergs and four Hondas in various states of functionality right now.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
What'd you think of your new motor?
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote