Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #91
Billy.B.F.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA
Gotta say, out of all the 450's, the Speedbrain BMW pushes my buttons the most
Yep, what gets me the most is the height (or lack thereof) at which it carries its fuel - makes a lot of other rallye setups look poorly designed.

(Apologies to Peter Egan)

The appropriate number of cylinders for any motorcycle is two.
Billy.B.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #92
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA
Gotta say, out of all the 450's, the Speedbrain BMW pushes my buttons the most

It is a beautiful bike; it just looks light and small.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #93
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,999
Light and small isn't always a plus I'd imaginbe for a race like the Dakar. There is ALOT of road riding in the liassons. A heavier bike will be easy to ride (wind, etc). Riding one of these small 450's for 10, 000 km's must be freaking grueling, much more so than a larger bike (excluding the timed sections).

Just a thought

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #94
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
That 450X Rally bike is hot, I've been smitten for awhile
Looking forward to seeing how it does in the Dakar with Factory support.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #95
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
For those interested in some detail shots from the Intermot here in Germany a few days ago:
Wow. That is a work of art - in more ways than one. Beautiful.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #96
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,996
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #97
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Light and small isn't always a plus I'd imaginbe for a race like the Dakar. There is ALOT of road riding in the liassons. A heavier bike will be easy to ride (wind, etc). Riding one of these small 450's for 10, 000 km's must be freaking grueling, much more so than a larger bike (excluding the timed sections).

Just a thought
Nothing hard about riding down the road.
The lighter bikes come into their own off road when you have to get physical with them, which is the major part of your day.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #98
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Frétigné still a ???
Quote:
Well prepared to enter the Dakar adventure

13 December 2010 15:35
The Dakar 2011 is approaching fast for Team "BMW Motorrad by speedbrain". As bikes and equipment are on their way by sea to South America , the 14-men squad under the guidance of team principal Wolfgang Fischer feels well prepared for their debut appearance in the rally legend.

The race gets underway on 1 January 2011 in Buenos Aires. Four riders will compete aboard speedbrain BMW G 450 RR motorcyles, having secured backing from BMW Motorrad and Monster Energy.

Rally routinier Frans Verhoeven, who has been developing the bike all throughout 2010, provided major input when it came to building a competitive race weapon based on the BMW 450 X. Being a multiple stage winner, the Dutchman has a lot of experience regarding the Dakar. He´s certainly a top rider to reckon with.

David Frétigné unfortunately is a questionmark. The Frenchman injured himself during the Rally Oil Libya Maroc and, although making good progress, will have to see whether doctors give green lights to compete. This may only happen shortly before the start. Meanwhile Jose Helio Gonçalves Rodrigues Filho, also know under the name "Ze Helio", sits in standby mode. The Brazilian already rode for speedbrain in the Rally dos Sertoes. The multi-time rally champ has a lot of knowledge from racing all over South America, he could make an excellent replacement.

Paulo Goncalves and Pedro Bianchi Prata from Portugal complete Team "BMW Motorrad by speedbrain". While Bianchi Prata performs sometimes a back up supporting role for his team pilots, Goncalves is an eventual front-runner. The former Motocross ace has shown several times before that he can go pretty quick on a rally bike. Goncalves finished the Portimao-Marrakesch 2010 on the podium.

The nearly 6,000 mile long Dakar 2011 does its best to create the thrill and challenges which the previous editions have presented since the beginning in 1979. The Argentina/Chile route consists of everything from sand dunes to mountainous conditions: over the plains of Patagonia, across the Atacama Desert and through the Andes Mountains (all in the heat of summer south of the equator).

Team „BMW Motorrad by Speedbrain" is working closely with Team Monster Energy X-Raid, which is entering the Dakar 2011 with BMW X3 and Mini All4 race cars. Both teams are using synergy effects in the logistics.

The race ends in Buenos Aires on 16 January.

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #99
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Frétigné still a ???
He is out, Ze Heilo is riding his bike, bummer for Fretigne

BUT a big WOOOOHOOOO for Ze
Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #100
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,642
Go! Ze Go!

Will he run the #12?
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #101
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
He is out, Ze Heilo is riding his bike, bummer for Fretigne

BUT a big WOOOOHOOOO for Ze
from google translation from the bike mag: " moto verte"

News Fretigne

Convalescence Express David Fretigne who still hopes to participate in the Dakar 2011. Decision on December 23. © JM Pouget

Seriously injured in the Morocco Rally, David Fretigne is since October convalescing. He gave us some news on his health and his chances to participate in the Dakar 2011.
Mainly affected the vertebrae and ribs, neo-BMW driver had to support three full weeks of immobility. But since mid-November, he started his rehabilitation at the center of Perpignan Présports with the help of his coach Christian Millet. Despite the seriousness of his wounds, calcification of his ribs was fast, which allowed him to regain some mobility. Under the eye of Dr. Christian Fournols, it has started swimming, bike room and forced himself on several sets of pumps each day in addition to long sessions of physiotherapy. "These days I found my strength almost before the crash. I'm as much of pumps!" We said No. 3 of the Dakar 2010.

Decision on December 23
Yet if his ribs do suffer more, the affected vertebrae are currently weak, especially at the apophyses not yet fully rewelded. The decision whether to participate in the Dakar 2011 has been postponed to 23 December. "From my side, I am confident. I'm all for it, " concluded David recovered more than ever.
JMP
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #102
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,578
Rally proofed

I asked this question else where and this thread appears to have given me the answer. I asked if the speedbrain bikes used a cush drive...the photos in this thread seem to indicate they did not. It has been my understanding that cush drive was always a given for rally bikes, or is this only on the larger capacities?

How many of the 450s of other makes ran cush drives...any?

I also heard somewhere that Verhoven's 450 had a 6 speed box, he was clocked with the highest speed on the last stage. Any insights here would be useful.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #103
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
They added a 6th gear, running a 47 rear sprocket on that stage.

Dont know about the cush drive on the BMW, Aprilia dont use it if memory serves me well. Cush drive is more comfy, thats about it i'd say. Might introduce an extra chance of failure with those rubber blocks..
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #104
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
I asked this question else where and this thread appears to have given me the answer. I asked if the speedbrain bikes used a cush drive...the photos in this thread seem to indicate they did not. It has been my understanding that cush drive was always a given for rally bikes, or is this only on the larger capacities?

How many of the 450s of other makes ran cush drives...any?

I also heard somewhere that Verhoven's 450 had a 6 speed box, he was clocked with the highest speed on the last stage. Any insights here would be useful.

Cheers
Pilbara
Hi Kelvin

I can't say for sure whether they use a cush-drive, best to check out their picture gallery here: http://www.speedbrain-rally.com/inde...ories&Itemid=3

Verhoeven did, however, tell me they went the extra mile and redesigned the gearbox to fit a 6th gear which would allow a top speed of something like 185km/h

If you don't already know they also fitted a new left hand side cover from the new Husky that increases the oil capacity a bit and allows for an oil filter to be fitted:

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #105
buspilot
Dr. Dirt

Oddometer: 41
Correct Tony, and for the last stage Frans asked his mechanic Boy to use a 47 teeth rear-sprocket

My travels, my pics, my site: http://www.dr-dirt.de
buspilot is offline   Reply With Quote