User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
SR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
A Day in El Campo, Zacatecas, Mexico

This was my best RR but the pics were hosted in Facebook and all the links are lost. I asked the mods to erase it but say they cant. I've deleted most of the text and it is not worth reading.

SR screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 10:16 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,848
Nice

Moved to Day Trippin'
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
YES!
Bring on Zacatecas pics!

"Entre un Cielo Cruel y una Tierra Colorada"
Ramón López Velarde (1888-1921) Poeta Zacatecano

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Photos of Zacatecas!! The best kept secret of Mexico, not yet discovered by the tourists.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,939

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Suqsuda
Secret Sharer

Oddometer: 166
Thanks for your report, I'm enjoying it. Many years ago -- in the 70s -- I traveled to Zacatecas and then spent some time in a small town called Jerez and in the mountains around Jerez, which I think was west of Zacatecas. Curious, did you pass through there?
Suqsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Arte
Pata de Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR
After a couple of hours on country roads and several ranchos the largest being Gonzales Ortega, asking anyone I saw donde estan los Mennonitas, I arrive at a place called La Honda.

La Honda is a Mennonite colony located on a very large piece of very productive agricultural land in western Zacatecas.
The Best cheese I have tasted is made at LA HONDA colony.
The best Cheese in Mexico is MENONITA CHEESE. Well, that says my brain.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Sweet ride and pics

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Arte
Pata de Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR

I must admit, I really don’t understand Mennonite culture. On one hand they drive these buggies, but on the other hand I've sat next to a whole family of Mennonites flying on a 747 from Mexico City to Toronto. That doesn't make sense to me but I guess it doesn't have to.
I have seen young mennonite guys selling cheese on the traffic intersections here in Reynosa, talking over their cel phone, discretely, and quick.
Is not supposed that their culture is against the banal tech not strictly necessary to live?

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Arte
Pata de Perro

This December I'll try to revisit ALTAVISTA site. Did was in your itinerary?

http://paseos.cultura-inah.gob.mx/pa...les/altavista/

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
SR-

Great report! Don't worry about being put in day rides- look at it this way- how many folks on advrider can post their day rides into Mexico. I wish I could ride in Mexico every weekend!

BTW, Mexican Mennonite history-

A group of Mennonites originally immigrated to Canada (and also the Midwest US) in the late 1800s from the Ukraine, being promised freedom of religious practice, including exemption from military service (which was why they originally went to the Ukraine from Holland). In the 1920s, the Canadian govt started to require education by the state, including learning English. This was an unwelcome assimilation into 'the world' for the Mennos, and they began to look for land elsewhere.

During their prospecting for territory in Mexico, they were offered freedom of religious practices, freedom in education, and exemption from military service, by none other than presidente Obregon. I don't know that cheese making was required, but Mexico's end of the deal was that they received a bunch of hard-working farmers that took some fairly arid land and made it productive, along with, of course, dairies and QUESO.

This explains the connections and movement between Mexico, Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatechawan- there are still family ties between them. Some families left, and some families stayed behind. Interestingly, there is currently outreach from the Canadians to provide education to the Mexican colonies, as this has fallen behind, and lack of education does cause problems.

The differences in colonies can likely be explained by their self-governance. Each would have elders or bishops who decide what is or isn't permitted. Tractors and cars may be fine in one, or tractors with steel wheels or only horses in another. Also, there are no Amish in Mexico, even though that is what we in the states would call Mexico's more conservative, horse using Mennonites. And yes, some colonies may be more prosperous than others.

The original Mennonite colonies are located around Cuautehmoc Chihuahua. Other colonies likely formed due to needing more land to accommodate growing population or due to disagreements in governance, technology, relating to the outside world, religious interpretation, plain-old-politics, etc.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR
Thanks for the information Mark. I am glad someone has some factual information for this RR.

I try not to get too bogged down in the messy facts. Rumor, gossip and third hand information work just fine for me, as long as it makes for a good story.
Messy facts? I can make some up if you want, and invent a story or two

Its a neat report. I think the pics you provided on the colonias are great. Thanks for the photo tour to a place I haven't been - I'd love to get there sometime. Gotta put that on my itinerary for next time.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Thanks SR

I enjoyed two of your rr, keep up the good work.

I have the same 05 klr and starter problems. My first plan has been to park on hills. Then I discovered that I could shift into gear and pull back to move the starter just a hair, like there was a bad spot on the starter. Then I would shift back to neutral and the starter would catch.

Let us inmates know what you do to solve the starter glitch. Maybe the starter safety relay, there is a bypass some have done. Check maitenance threads. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
Thanks, SR. That's some good stuff there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 4,002
Cool report! very informative. Gracias!