User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
pavement pounder OP
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

I just installed a Hyperpro steering damper on my .08 1200 and I can sum up the difference in two words

WOW

wait, that's one word. I honestly don't know why I didn't put one on earlier. Ok, the $700 ones where a bit pricey for a what if... but when hyperpro came out with a kit for around $ 400 clams, I decided to try it out. Major reduction in rider fatigue if you ride highway, less wind fatigue and it stays planted in gravel. Other than my Elka shocks whick cost way more but perform sooooo well (i think this is the best money I spent so far) the steering damper is the best money I have spent for handling/performance.

I got one during a group buy. You'll have to get one next time they offer it!

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Awesome . . . . have one on my ST1300. Does the GS unit mount under the trip clamp? Thanks,

Jeff
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,583
Why do you need a damper on a GS? I don't need or want one.....
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
Why do you need a damper on a GS? I don't need or want one.....
I never felt the need either. What, exactly, does it do for the GS on and off road?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I am on my 3rd R1200GS. I put the Hyper pro on before a trip from Wisconsin to Utah. My 2010 R1200GS now has over 12000 miles on it. It only takes a few thousandth of an inch of handle bar movement to steer and balance it. It makes it a little less twitchy on the highway, on grooved pavement, passing trucks. easier to move up and down stepped pavement. Off road it helps to keep the bars straight when hitting rocks, in sand, and spinning the rear wheel going up hill. Worth every penny. In 13 years of riding and over half a million miles I found out last February that the less you move the bars the better off you are.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
OGRE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Back in 2002 I was riding my fully-loaded R1150GS up a very rocky road toward Colockum Pass. The road was full of big rocks. One moment I was riding up the road, and the next moment I had my GS off the road, parked right between two giant rocks. That was the bad news. The good news was, you couldn't have positioned those rocks better for my GS if you spent two hours trying to get them just right! No damage! Other than the right-side system bag getting peeled off the mounts, but it was not harmed!

We built a little ramp to get back on the road, only going back downhill, and got my bike back up, off the side of the hill. It was really hot, and I was toasted. I loaded all my stuff back on, including Zeke the Motodog in his kennel crate, and then we rode into Wenatchee to fine a motel with a pool.

Wonder if I'd had one of those dampers on the bike she'd have kept on going up the road, despite hitting that rock? Probably I would have dumped it on the river crossing trying to get into camp...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I have the Hyperpro and won't leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!

The GS, with its up right riding position and wide bars creates great leverage & ease of handling, which for me is a good thing. However, because of that I've had to focus on being very smooth/relaxed/carefull about oversteering the GS, particullary when the front end gets light from accelerating out of turns or landing the front end when traveling at high speeds over peaks.

With the HYPERPRO and its 20 settings, one can dial out that bit of nervousness and slop the front end has to suite one's personal needs (as an example I prefer using 8 clicks, where my friend likes using 10 clicks out of 20).

In closing, with the Hyperpro, I have the best of both world's, great leverage/steering, without any front end nervousness.

Mike K.
Dana Point, CA.
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Can't imagine needing one. I like my gyroscopic precession to go on unimpeded.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
KentNV
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Are you all using the active or non-active HyperPro?

-Kent
KentNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentNV
Are you all using the active or non-active HyperPro?

-Kent
Kent:

Mines an active, BTW "Annitori Distributing @ (847) 526-6116" say thats there best selling version.

Mike K.
Dana Point, CA.
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I never felt the need either. What, exactly, does it do for the GS on and off road?

Jim
On road advantages for my Scott's damper:

- No bar twitch when landing a wheelie.

- Total stability in 50 mph or so cross winds (highest I've been on since I got the damper). I assume it will help in higher winds to.

- Took away any hint of nervousness from truck buffeting

- Took away any hint of grooved pavement/edge trap induced nervousness

- Gives the bike "bike is on rails" feel through sweepers regardless of pavement roughness or wind buffeting.

Off road advantages:

- removed at least 90 percent of nervousness in sand at slow speeds

- removed at least 90 percent of nervousness from hitting rocks/ruts

- have not had a hint of slow sand induced tank slapper (maybe I just got better at riding sand?)

I am sure there are lots of Rossi level capable riders who whould never want or need a damper on a GS. For myself, of more modest abilities, it sure seems to work exceptionally well. I am also hoping when/if I end up hitting some object in traffic on the freeway that the damper will give me an edge in keeping the rubber side down.

I too agree that it is about the best bang for the buck I have spent on the bike. Is there a single person who has put one on that is in the naysayer camp?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
On road advantages for my Scott's damper:

- No bar twitch when landing a wheelie.

- Total stability in 50 mph or so cross winds (highest I've been on since I got the damper). I assume it will help in higher winds to.

- Took away any hint of nervousness from truck buffeting

- Took away any hint of grooved pavement/edge trap induced nervousness

- Gives the bike "bike is on rails" feel through sweepers regardless of pavement roughness or wind buffeting.

Off road advantages:

- removed at least 90 percent of nervousness in sand at slow speeds

- removed at least 90 percent of nervousness from hitting rocks/ruts

- have not had a hint of slow sand induced tank slapper (maybe I just got better at riding sand?)

I am sure there are lots of Rossi level capable riders who whould never want or need a damper on a GS. For myself, of more modest abilities, it sure seems to work exceptionally well. I am also hoping when/if I end up hitting some object in traffic on the freeway that the damper will give me an edge in keeping the rubber side down.

I too agree that it is about the best bang for the buck I have spent on the bike. Is there a single person who has put one on that is in the naysayer camp?
Thanks for the responses. Though I have never felt the need for one, I am glad others are finding the relief they desire.

As for anyone saying they didn't see any improvement, well, at $400 who would admit that kind of mistake?

Jim
Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Gillies
Monkey Boy

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
As for anyone saying they didn't see any improvement, well, at $400 who would admit that kind of mistake?

Jim
If $400 amounts to a mistake you can't man up to, you ain't lived much.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies
If $400 amounts to a mistake you can't man up to, you ain't lived much.
Believe me, I have seen plenty of people unwilling to "man-up" to a lot less of a mistake than that!

I am NOT saying the posters do not get what they want out of a steering damper, just that I have never felt the need for one.

I do not do much off-road, so that might account for it.

Jim
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
A lot of what you describe I fixed with some aftermarket shocks. I admit I haven't had a steering damper but I think my Ducati could have used one. It was twitchy in a way I didn't like. But the GS never has been like that.

And like Jim, I don't ride off road much. Mostly gravel. And that's like marbles.

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote