Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #136
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 49
After checking out the websites for the Hyperpro - can't find one for the 1150 GS's. Is this correct? Any other ones that will fit the 1150's?
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #137
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,482
The RalleMoto Damper fits the 1150. For HyperPro, I have an e-mail into Klaus and he's looking into how difficult it would be to mod the 1200 damper or some other unit to fit the 1150. Doesn't look like it would be that hard to find a way to clamp it to the trailing arm. I'll post up here if I hear anything.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #138
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,482
I heard back from Klaus. Here's what he had to say--
I checked parts availability and no, the R1200 GS brackets will not fit due to the different design of the Telelever. As you said the fork part is easy, we do have the mounting bracket for that side, but the other end is of trouble. I am pushing the factory a bit to develop it but it may take a little time. Please check into it from time to time, and maybe we will have it.
Regards, Klaus
Sounds like some genius inmate here needs to figure this out and then post up the DIY instructions.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #139
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Besides the low cost and ease of installation of the HYPERPRO I like its adjust-ability that ranges from 0 to 20 clicks, whereby I can dial it in for personal taste or use. Typically, I love canyon carving and find that at "8" clicks it still provides quick steering, but good stability as well. I guess, If I were doing more straight line, high speed, windy highway work, I would go up to 9, 10, 11 clicks. Anyway, thats the beauty of a steering dampener.

Best Regards:
Mike K.
Dana Point, CA
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #140
TheVikingRider
mudonmymind

Oddometer: 455
I wish they made a hyperpro for the 1150gs.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #141
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I've done 1000+ miles of gravel without a steering damper in the Yukon and Alaska. Several high speed wobbles in heavy gravel shook my confidence a few times. I decided before heading to Labrador for the Trans-Lab and Phase 3 Road I would install the Hyerpro SD. I love it! Big improvement.....at least for me.....1000+ miles of gravel and not a hint of wobble, steady as she goes! Even feels more planted on the street, not so nervous up front.
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #142
TheVikingRider
mudonmymind

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5410
I've done 1000+ miles of gravel without a steering damper in the Yukon and Alaska. Several high speed wobbles in heavy gravel shook my confidence a few times. I decided before heading to Labrador for the Trans-Lab and Phase 3 Road I would install the Hyerpro SD. I love it! Big improvement.....at least for me.....1000+ miles of gravel and not a hint of wobble, steady as she goes! Even feels more planted on the street, not so nervous up front.
Tryin to rub it in?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #143
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #144
OGRE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I'm saving up....

Fellow Pig Drivers:

OK, I'm convinced. I'm saving up my hard-earned consulto-bux for a steering damper for my GSA.

You know how it goes. I know the Hyperpro is out there for "only" $400, but how 'bout that Ralle-Moto unit for only a skoshi tad over TWICE the cost of the Hyperpro? If they ever drop me and my R1200GSA out of a C-130 into the desert, I'll need the extra dirt-proofness of the R-M unit.

Anybody out there running the R-M?

Seeya
ATB
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #145
pklop
shit happens

Oddometer: 71
Damper and tires

Hi All,
A lot of you guys are thinking about purchasing a damper for either a more relaxed ride on the highway, or for offroad use. I don't know about the latter, and other uses aside, i did put on a hyperpro damper after reading this discussion and wanted to share my findings.

My problem started with pain, neck and shoulders, and i believed this came to be because the front of my GS was like a feather in the wind (strongly exaggerated ;o). This in wind and turbulances from other traffic on the highway. Riding it was tiresome because of the continuous small streering corrections that i automaticly made. I couldn't relax my muscles enough, instead kept always pressure on the handlebars.

Off the highway this bike was great. Cornered incredible easy and had lots of amounts of grip. Only under hard acceleration out of the corners the front wheel wend light and thereby restless. Now with the damper the front still gets light but don't get restless anymore. It doesn't want to shake it's head like before.

That's a plus but not why i bought it. As the reason for my tiresom highway rides i suspected the tires. I asked my dealer to take a ride and coming back from this he suspected the suspension. After investigating this they however concluded the suspension not to be the problem but most likely the tires. These where Conti Trail Attacks. Since i did suspect these before coming in, i told them to put on some Metzler EXP tires.

I did suspect the Conti's because when i bought them i noticed that they cornered far more easely and turning the front wheel was also more easy (like you start to do when driving realy realy slow), it had a lighter feeling about it. It maked sense that something was sacrificed by this easy steering; the straight on stability. At first you play and have fun with such an easy steering machine, and praise the new tires responsible, but months later things change. The weather, the tires themself, the use of the GS - far more highway use then before. So i changed the tires before i did put on a steering damper.

The effect of this change was not small. The influence from wind and turbulance was grealty declined. I could relax my muscles again and the bike follewed it's track without me trying to force it to. The front did still make small movements under influence from turbulence, which you also can see looking at the front-forks, but didn't leave it's track anymore under these circumsances. Therefor i can now relax far more riding on the highway.

After this i put on a steering damper, in search for further improvements. The hyperpro factory is located 10 miles from here so that was easy. They adviced to me the linear (CSC) damper. I did however buy the progressive (RSC) damper. Perhaps i was not that smart about it. I don't know. However, installing it was very easy, and yesterday i wend for a test run.

I did find that it has not eliminated the turbulance-movements but did lessen it to my liking. Off the highway, With 10 or 11 clicks the steering feels more heavy but also more encouraging when sweeping the corners. I have no problem making u-turns and the like, but i do have to get used to applying the more pressure it requires (which is not al lot but remember i also changed the tires that require more pressure to turn).

So there you have it. I learned that the influence of wind and turbulance is about two subjects; does the bike make small front-movements (left-to-right-to-left thus shake a little bit) that you don't like, and/or does the bike keep/loose it track while doing this. These subjects are not the same.

When you get tossed around in your lane you are better of checking your tires first. Go for example on a test-run on another GS from your dealer (with different tires). For me the change in tires was the greatest change and made the head-shake less also. In retrospect i could have done without the damper, but then again, why should i :o)

Regards.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #146
nixobilly
Riding new 2014 GSA

Oddometer: 72
BTW -- I called EPM to order my hyperpro. No discount available and not in inventory. I then called Annitori the other us distributor at 888-963-1212. They had it in stock and "normal" price of $429.95. I got it next day as promised for an additional $30.

Mark
nixobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #147
cerv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop
Hi All,

That's a plus but not why i bought it. As the reason for my tiresom highway rides i suspected the tires. I asked my dealer to take a ride and coming back from this he suspected the suspension. After investigating this they however concluded the suspension not to be the problem but most likely the tires. These where Conti Trail Attacks. Since i did suspect these before coming in, i told them to put on some Metzler EXP tires.

Regards.
Yup, Trail Attacks do wobble. There was even a recall as the original batches would wobble way too much, but even now there’s definitely a degree of directional instability inherent to their design. Sorry for OT.
cerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #148
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Just curious - have any of you that have installed steering dampers done anything with your suspension first?
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #149
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peka
Just curious - have any of you that have installed steering dampers done anything with your suspension first?

For me, suspension wasn't an issue as my bike only had a little over 6,000 miles on the clock when I installed the Hyperpro.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #150
pavement pounder OP
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peka
I put on a set of Elkas before. They are awesome. over 20000kms on the whole set up so far this year. Including a trip to TLH trans Labrador Highway.

rubbing it in!

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote