Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #181
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2712 View Post
Im intrested! I'dlike to get my "wobble" out of the frond end when i land after takeoff when crossing railwaycrossings at 80miles/h
Steering dampner would more than likely solve this issue. I'm convinced you won't want another bike without one.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #182
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
What setting was your brother using on those curvy roads? Could he have dialed it 'down' to 1 or 2 to resolve the problem there? Would that have worked?
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyalhi View Post
My brother; however, though he agrees with all of the above improvements, he says that it changed the characteristic of the bike especially on the curvy country roads where he feels he needs to push more on the handlebar. The bike is not the same as it was for him and thus he removed it. He says that he will only use it during enduro rides.

Regards,

Ömer
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #183
oyalhi
Riding, not writing

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
What setting was your brother using on those curvy roads? Could he have dialed it 'down' to 1 or 2 to resolve the problem there? Would that have worked?
-ceej
Well at first it was at 10 (that is the setting I always use it). He wasn't happy, so he dialed it down to the lowest setting. After a while, he suggested that event though the damper is at its lowest setting, it still has some effect and he decided to take it off in the middle of the trip and he is happy ever since.

Myself, would not ride the bike without it. There is one drawback I think the damper is causing though, at higher speeds, e.g. over 140km/h and higher, the back of the bike starts to wobble. Sometimes at 140km/h sometimes at 180km/h. But the back wobbles and I don't feel as comfortable as without the damper at higher speeds.
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter - Mark Twain.
oyalhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #184
Santron
Hates sand...

Oddometer: 39
Another happy HyperPro Damper GS

Just installed a Hyperpro RSC damper on my new-to-me 08 GS Adventure and I think it makes a huge difference in the way the bike rides.

This is my first GS and my only complaint with the bike is that the GS is more susceptible to turbulence from high profile vehicles, and irregularities in the road surface (tires perhaps?), than either of my fully fared R1100RT or FJR. The Hyperpro damper set on 12 clicks has straightened out both of these conditions. First ride with it on the freeway I followed the aerodynamic equivalent of a brick (cargo van) at 80 MPH and felt absolutely no effect from the turbulence it produced, whereas before the turbulence would have been felt substantially.

Although I purchased the Hyperpro for offloading the GS in loose stuff, it's improvement in the GS's slab manners alone are worth it. When I put my Scotts damper on my KTM 640 Adventure it also make it a LOT more freeway palatable in the same way.
Scotts SUB Mount Damper

04 FJR 1300 ABS
04 VFR 800 ABS
02 DR-Z400S
00 BWM R1100RT-P
Santron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #185
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 920
Just seeing this thread (because somebody awoke it from the dead...).
I always thought (and still think) that my 1150GS is exceptionally stable in cross winds (one of my first rides was at what felt like a constant 30º lean angle, only interrupted when passing trucks; took a bit getting used to, but the bike was rock steady), and on grooved pavement (bridge gratings, grooved interstate concrete etc.). So, did the newer ones become squirrely at some point? Which year? Is it due to less weight and more horsepower? Or was the steering geometry changed? Or is it really more an offroad and touchdown after a wheelie issue (two things I don't do so much)? Or could the squirreliness be due to tire pressure?
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #186
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
My 2004 1150 GS was also "rock steady". Big difference at speed with my 2007 GSA - added HP stabilizer - fixed. Better on pavement & heavy gravel! I have now moved on to my 2011 GSA and one of the 1st things I did was add the HP SS.
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #187
mcmarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Thumb Damper, yes!!! Safety First

I suspect if the naysayers were to ride their GS bikes on the same off road trail of gravel, sand, some rocks, maybe a cattle grate or two both with and without a damper, they would feel and understand what a damper can do. I have had a serious tankslapper on GSPD airhead probably due to a combination of mechanical and environmental factors about 6 years back. You can read all about if you look at the first post I ever did here. I am convinced that the wobble would not have occurred if the bike would have had a steering damper on it. The old airheads did have them, as primitive as they were.

I think we can mostly agree on safety being of upmost importance on ADVrider, ATTGAT and all, I want to live another day to ride again, how bout you? So installing dampers seems like an obvious move in the right direction. If we were always just cruising perfect new highways, no wind, no worn out cupped tires, no potholes, no unknown obstacles that suddenly appear around the blind corner, no rider fatigue, mechanical issues, etc... then dampers might be overkill. But the reality is many of us are out exploring unknown backroads and trails, solo and S**t Happens. I know cus it certainly happened to me, 2 second event, OMG I am gonna die!!!....F**k that my brain said, and kick the bike down the road with my legs as hard as I could to avoid a high side at 60-70MPH, and then log roll down the highway two dozen times. I will not ride a dirt bike without a damper, I want one for my big GS bike.

Current flock: GS1100, R1150R, KTM450MXC, G650GS. Flown away: GSPD, yam 250 & 450WR
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #188
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I had a "scared the bejesus out of me tankslapper" at about 65 mph on my GSA just outside of Prudhoe Bay AK in 2008..... saved it by hitting the gas. That incident convinced me to buy a HP SS for my GSA. I have ridden thousands of miles of gravel roads since and she's always steady now! Now want a SS for my '81 R80 G/S, and G450 X......
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #189
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,084
The Hyperpro, or any other damper is well worth the $$$ for the GS, whether yuo ride offroad or not.
I bought my '05 from an inmate here as a salvage bike. He'd had an odd and completely unexpected 'slapper as he went over some railroad tracks on a paved road out in the middle of nowhere. Totaled the bike. He was O.K.
First thing I noticed about the early 1200GS (dealer test ride)was the twitchy feel compared to other R12 models.
When I got mine first thing I did after rebuilding the bike, was install a Hyperpro. Made things mucho more stable.
But maybe I digress...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #190
Boston Mangler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
The Hyperpro, or any other damper is well worth the $$$ for the GS, whether yuo ride offroad or not.
I bought my '05 from an inmate here as a salvage bike. He'd had an odd and completely unexpected 'slapper as he went over some railroad tracks on a paved road out in the middle of nowhere. Totaled the bike. He was O.K.
First thing I noticed about the early 1200GS (dealer test ride)was the twitchy feel compared to other R12 models.
When I got mine first thing I did after rebuilding the bike, was install a Hyperpro. Made things mucho more stable.
But maybe I digress...
Yup.. I installed a GPR on mine and it totally transformed the bike IMHO
Boston Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #191
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Thanks for the responses. Though I have never felt the need for one, I am glad others are finding the relief they desire.

As for anyone saying they didn't see any improvement, well, at $400 who would admit that kind of mistake?

Jim
The logic on that would be, that he would not mention it at all if he was not happy with it, rather than say he wasted $400.

I never saw the need for one until I installed my Rallye Moto damper.
I second what SoCalRob posted.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #192
rattlecan
Caffeine Driven

Oddometer: 1,507
Another believer here, after a tank slapper somewhere in New Mexico, I put one on the gs.
Couldn't be happier! I still think JVB is the Bomb!
rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote