Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #31
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
Yeah the CBR's needed 'em. Sportbike steering geometry and all...
I don't see the need for one on the GS, but if we were all the same this world would be mighty boring. Enjoy your farkle and ride on

Sanders

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Dude, I think you are reading too much into my responses.

Just because I never rode a GS with a steering damper doesn't mean I never rode a bike with one, nore does it invalidate my beliefe that I do not need one.

It also doesn't invalidate the responses of those who have and love them.

Like I already said twice, if you are happy with it, and it does what you like, then great!

Now, will you ?

Jim

jim, you r too nice......take him to the cellar and rip his ass..............
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #33
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist
This thread is the perfect example of "The best you've ridden is the best you know". Several of the posters who've stated, "I've never felt the need for one", seem to be telling those who have a damper, "you just THINK you need one". JvB is probably the worst of the lot. He has no freakin' idea...

You know, Jim is one of THE most valuable, and I might add generous, resources this forum has. He invariably takes a practical and pragmatic view of all things motorcycle. I have met the guy a couple of times and can say he really takes a balanced view.

I think YOU have no freakin' idea. And if he were to STFU, I for one would miss him here. Maybe you should reread the posts he made on this thread.......

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #34
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,448
I not adverse to trying new things for the bike, and rely on those here for their thoughts on what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty skeptical, but by and large when so many say 'this is a good thing'....it probably is.

So I ordered one today. My 2006 isn't going to be sold any time soon, or traded in (its hugely over-farkled, I'd lose my butt on a sale), so what's another $ 400 to try it out? I ordered one today ..... will report back. If its great - I'll tell ya....if its mostly bling, I'll report back on that as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #35
briangorrell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout
I not adverse to trying new things for the bike, and rely on those here for their thoughts on what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty skeptical, but by and large when so many say 'this is a good thing'....it probably is.

So I ordered one today. My 2006 isn't going to be sold any time soon, or traded in (its hugely over-farkled, I'd lose my butt on a sale), so what's another $ 400 to try it out? I ordered one today ..... will report back. If its great - I'll tell ya....if its mostly bling, I'll report back on that as well.
Where did you order it from? Curious minds want to know!
briangorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #36
pavement pounder OP
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangorrell
http://www.epmperf.com/

just email them, they'll figure out which kit you need. They know.

and guys, just a reminder, everyone is entitled to their opinion! Everyone! Just play nice.

Tried it out with major side wind on the highway and transport trucks buffeting, almost all the pushing and shoving is gone. I feel semi retired!

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011

pavement pounder screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 03:52 PM
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #37
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Where did you order it from?

this is where I got mine ....Annitori Distributing @ (847) 526-6116 / (888) 963-1212

Mike K.
Dana Point. CA.

mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #38
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout

Need some help installing it? Maybe I can take a ride and see what all the fuss is about?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #39
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Need some help installing it? Maybe I can take a ride and see what all the fuss is about?

Jim
HA! Looks like it takes longer to pull it out of the box to install it, Jim....but come on over and we'll play with it (before / after), etc....

Duane
Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #40
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangorrell
They are still honoring the Group Buy discount of 15% off so its just over $ 400 with shipping.

Date

7/8/2010

732-786-9777 Dee@epmperf.com

77 Pension Road., Suite 17

Manalapan, NJ 07726

EPM Performance Imports, Inc.

Qty Item Description

BMW R 1200 GS 2006
1 MK-BM12-B002 B Mt Kit for R 1200 GS (& Adventure) 04> Black 209.95 209.95T
997 Group Buy -15.00% -31.49
1 DS-075B-NP1 Progressive Steering Damper-RSC-75 mm- Black 263.60 263.60T
997 Group Buy -15.00% -39.54
1 Shipping & Handling Domestic 15.00 15.00T
$417.52

$417.52
Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #41
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 791
I'm late to the party but I would like to thow in my $.02

Coming from sportbikes, I rode damperless for several years before finally putting one on my 600RR (ohlins bar-type). After discovering the huge difference it made in cornering stability, I immediately turned around put on on the heavier 1KRR which up until that point, I thought was plenty stable through corners; it got even better.

I rode the R1200GS for about a year before looking for a damper, mostly because nothing was readily available and the bike felt stable enough. I ended up going with Gavin/Mort's mount and a Scott's rotary damper. WOW what a difference! The twitchiness of the bike on dirt/gravel roads and it's new-found stability in sand are like night and day. I just got back from a multi-state trip through the Southwest and did some sand in and out of Chaco Canyon and you could feel the difference between just a few clicks of firmness on the damper when riding through sand and over washboard roads.

On the road I found the fully rear-loaded bike was twichy in corners at times, especially on the tar-snakes. I had been running the damper pretty soft on the road, but after a couple moments in Utah, I ended up riding with the damper just a few clicks away from full-damping and the rest of the ride back to WA was stress free.

My only criticism regarding the Hyperpro is the fact that it is not handlebar mounted; meaning you can't adjust it on the fly. So if you're say riding down a dirt road and you sense that some sand is coming up, you can't just crank up the hardness without stopping, or conversely if you need increased low-speed manuverability you can't reduce it easily either.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #42
pavement pounder OP
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
1000kms later, no regrets. I still can't believe how bad a great bike was! (but I've had much worse) don't get me wrong, the GS is a great bike (at 52000kms in just over 2 years, i have no complaints) but with a stabilizer, it's just that much better. In fact, it's more than $400 better!

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #43
footloose
and fancy free.

Oddometer: 217
I've never ridden a bike with a steering damper but I can imagine that it would be a very worthwhile addition, particularly for those that ride on sandy roads.
Getting caught out by hitting a deep sandy stretch of road in SA cost me 10 days in Port Augusta Hospital and $12500 in damage to the bike.
I'm a lot better now at picking the change in road conditions and handling the bike in sand and bulldust but the heart rate still goes into overdrive on some road stretches.
Thanks, Pavement Pounder, for bringing this improvement to my attention at least.
I lay awaiting the approach of sleep, watching the constellations swing across the sky. Did I sleep that night - or was I caught for a moment into the ceaseless rhythm of space? Blank on the Map. Eric Shipton.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #44
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
my $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCOliverNorth
I'm late to the party but I would like to thow in my $.02,,,,plus my $0 .02 = 2cents coming from a S/Sgt USMC,,i concur with the Colonel

Coming from sportbikes, I rode damperless for several years before finally putting one on my 600RR (ohlins bar-type). After discovering the huge difference it made in cornering stability, I immediately turned around put on on the heavier 1KRR which up until that point, I thought was plenty stable through corners; it got even better.

like the Colonel i have a ton of experience building and riding winning road-race bikes...both without and with steering dampeners,,,,they were pretty primitive back in the '70s..the fact is they worked especially from induced wavy pavement tank-slappers

I rode the R1200GS for about a year before looking for a damper, mostly because nothing was readily available and the bike felt stable enough. I ended up going with Gavin/Mort's mount and a Scott's rotary damper. WOW what a difference! The twitchiness of the bike on dirt/gravel roads and it's new-found stability in sand are like night and day. I just got back from a multi-state trip through the Southwest and did some sand in and out of Chaco Canyon and you could feel the difference between just a few clicks of firmness on the damper when riding through sand and over washboard roads.

like the colonel i've ridden my 1200GS with every conceivable tire and rim size combo,,someone had/has to make sure what i build works
FYI,,,steve red a fellow inmate from down under wanted to swap out some of his trick steering dampeners for a lil Superlaced wheel work...
Had my technician install the integrated 3'' riser steering stabilizer in less than an hour....

,,,so on my way to the rawhyde adventure shootout i stopped at White Wash in the Utah desert just south of Green River ...some old pals were spendin gthe weekend there,,,,that sand-wash has snookered me before,,,so i let ol Greg take my basically stock suspensioned beast out running a 21/18 Dunlop dakar knobbies with this new contraption..it has the ability to not only provide the usual variety of dampening IT ALSO has the ability to choose 3 basic formats for the style of riding you do..ie the rebound could be firm to soft,,in the sand we want FIRM

we're on this bluff overlooking the 2-3 mile wash below,,watch a dozen dirt bikes plowing through the stuff and there he was reeling em all in!!!! and then blew by them all...he returns all wild eyed and grinning,,'',HOLY shit!!! that thing is like on rails in the sand!!!,,man i wanted to go faster but those sorry excuse for shocks ya have on ther wouldn't let me go more than 80mph because they chatter so bad..''.

well we all knew he was eating up the terrain,,,so i took it on all the little sandy stuff,,, the pea gravel ... a little countersteering and i was standing up,,rounding smooth corners and throwing mongo roostertails,,,,i actually got into it ,,,where did all this confidence inspiring feeling emanate from,,,,never had it before that dampener was installed ,,that i can swear by....

later i took it all over our local terrain around Deckers /Sprucewood and Rampart Range..with massive confidence inspiring handling,,,i'm keeping it on there,
[pics will follow as well as brand name and model#]

On the road I found the fully rear-loaded bike was twichy in corners at times, especially on the tar-snakes. I had been running the damper pretty soft on the road, but after a couple moments in Utah, I ended up riding with the damper just a few clicks away from full-damping and the rest of the ride back to WA was stress free.

My only criticism regarding the Hyperpro is the fact that it is not handlebar mounted; meaning you can't adjust it on the fly. So if you're say riding down a dirt road and you sense that some sand is coming up, you can't just crank up the hardness without stopping, or conversely if you need increased low-speed manuverability you can't reduce it easily either.
well after what i just wrote about above ...there is a device that will answer all your needs,,,,everything you wished for above is handled,,,it runs circa $850 if my memory serves me right....so here it is :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=47

S/sgt w
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 10:32 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #45
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
well after what i just wrote about above ...there is a device that will answer all your needs,,,,everything you wished for above is handled,,,it runs circa $850 if my memory serves me right....Hey Woody what is it specifically your talking about? I'm looking for something like what you and the others have described,but would imagine that having on the fly adjustment would be better than the Hyper Pro that can't be adjusted on the fly. Still a bit confused on all this,but am very interested.

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 02:59 PM
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote