Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #121
oyalhi
Riding, not writing

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
I think blue would be sufficient, red not necessary IMO.
I was looking at the Turkish Loctite site where there is no blue or red but many numbers and models with same description on them :). I'll ask the distributor here which one is the best for this application.

Thanks,

Omer
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter - Mark Twain.
oyalhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #122
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyalhi
I was looking at the Turkish Loctite site where there is no blue or red but many numbers and models with same description on them :). I'll ask the distributor here which one is the best for this application.

Thanks,

Omer
Blue Loctite does not require heat to remove, red does. Use that as your determiner. IMHO I would not use red for this!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #123
oyalhi
Riding, not writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Blue Loctite does not require heat to remove, red does. Use that as your determiner. IMHO I would not use red for this!

Jim
Hmm, by that explanation I think that the Loctite 222 is the way to go. The description says it is used for screws up to M30 and allows disassembly with normal tools.

Thanks,
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter - Mark Twain.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #124
GS Dude
Hooter

Oddometer: 292
My experience with dampers

Just thought I'd add my experience with several dampers used on off road bikes. There have been occasions when I've installed a damper and really didn't think it did much. Then after several months of riding I took it off to sell the bike and I was shocked at the difference I felt. That was actually my "Ah ha!" moment. To me the best damper is not felt. It just makes everything smoother, more under control, better.

The last one I had was a GPR built into the triple clamp (similar to the Ralle) but it had a remote adjustment lever that mounted to the bars near the left grip. This made major adjustments super easy. I would run with it about 1/3 tight (let's say 3 clicks out of 10) and then when I came to a rocky wash or nasty log crossing I would just flick it to max and barge through. I wouldn't ride desert without one again. I've even mounted one on my 4 wheeler for sand dune use and it's like adding power steering.

I've never had one on a street bike...but that may change soon once I decide that the R12GS is ready to flop on its side in the rocks
GS Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #125
RodSTer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Never know you need it until....

Looked at one at the Redmond Rally, thought it could wait until next year. Unfortunately I came upon a "wet spot" after a local shower while riding a gravel road. All I remember is a head shake and down I went. Luckly it was cosmetic damage, although a lot of it. I might have gone down anyway because of the mud, but I probably wouldn't have gone down quite so fast if not for the head shake.

I haven't had a dampner since my '84 750 Intercepter had a wicked head shake way, way back. I forgot how scary that was and hope I never feel that again.
RodSTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #126
WYGSer
Ummm...

Oddometer: 32
Hyperpro received and installed...

...and it kicks serious ass. Only a 50 mile test ride last night, but the difference is remarkable. With the clicker set between 9 and 12, the Hyperpro seems to almost completely eliminate all those minute steering adjustments that I didn't even know I was making before - I think it'll be amazing on long trips. Oncoming trucks on a 2-lane at 130 mph closure didn't even seem to nudge me.

+1 - it's one of those things that isn't necessary until you wonder how you managed so many miles without it.

Definitely farkle $$ well spent. Between that and the new (to me) Corbin and backrest, I'm a happy guy....

- Clay
Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #127
Patagonian Fox
nOOb, not any more

Oddometer: 282
Received and installed

I'm in the process to check in witch CLICK I like better for urban and highway riding.
Next will be offroad riding test, this is the reason why I make the purchace for, to fillfull my offroad riding skills, not much of it.
Thanks Klaus and Hyperpro team
Cheers.............Omar
Patagonian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #128
Leostrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Cant seem to find the part number at Hyperpro or Scott for the 1200GSA.

The diamond cannot be polished without friction nor
a man perfected without trials!
Leostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #129
Patagonian Fox
nOOb, not any more

Oddometer: 282
Call them, they know exactly what you need, the pic above is my 09GSA, everything fit perfect.
Cheers......Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leostrom
Cant seem to find the part number at Hyperpro or Scott for the 1200GSA.
Patagonian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #130
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

I participated in the group buy for the Hyperpro dampener and have been most satisfied with the results. I've got to mention what I witnessed on a large group ride Sunday before last.

I was following a H-D dresser at about 50 mph as we crossed the Mississippi River at Helena, AR. As we proceeded toward the city limits, the Harley wobbled violently, rear wheel skidding right until the floorboard caught pavement. With that, the rear wheel went to the left and the bike went down. This all happened so fast the H-D rider never touched any brakes. Using the "two second rule" and ABS, I avoided both sliding bike and rolling rider. I did, however, hit the same break in the pavement, about 4" to 6" wide, over six feet long and positioned in our direction of travel. When I entered the break, I knew immediately what was happening and the GSA didn't flinch. Did I hit it a the same angle the Harley did? I dunno. I do believe, however, the dampener helped.

2 cents.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #131
oyalhi
Riding, not writing

After reading the comments on this forum, I, my brother and a friend all purchased the damper. We went with the hyperpro. After about 2000km of mixed road riding and mountain soft enduro riding I have decided to keep the damper for the following reasons:

1. On the highway when it is windy, the handlebar is more stable
2. On the highway where the road is not so perfect the handlebar is more stable
3. On the highway cruising at higher speeds (~200km/h - ~120mph) the handlebar is more stable
4. On the mountains enduro riding, the handlebar is more stable (and saved me from dropping the bike at least 2 times)

I could go on and on. Basically the handlebar and thus the bike is more stable with the damper. I have it at 10 all the time, I increased it couple of notches during enduro, but that's all. The damper is always going to be there for me, I love it.

My brother; however, though he agrees with all of the above improvements, he says that it changed the characteristic of the bike especially on the curvy country roads where he feels he needs to push more on the handlebar. The bike is not the same as it was for him and thus he removed it. He says that he will only use it during enduro rides.

Me and my brother have similar experience on the bike; however, I am new to the GSA (proud K1200S owner, though I find no use for it anymore now that I love the GSA), my brother had always the GSA. So he is more familiar with the GSA then I am and thus the damper made a huge change that he did not like.

Regards,

Ömer
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #132
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,948
Thumb

I'm selling my HyperPro damper, selling the bike. If anyone's interested...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #133
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,934
interested. pm'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
I'm selling my HyperPro damper, selling the bike. If anyone's interested...
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #134
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,948
Question

no Pm from ya Magoo......too slow Magoo.

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 10:12 AM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #135
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 48
Thumb

After reading all the posts I bet the steering damper would have saved me from having to drop my 1150 gs on a very sandy section of dirt/gravel/sandy road. About two weeks ago I was out on a solo adventure on southwestern Idaho roads. About 15 miles into it on my first day I went into a left hand sweeper at about 30 mph and hit about 5-6 inches of very soft sand and the handlebar wobble was so bad that I decided to just get it over with and laid the bike down. Fortunately, the ground was very soft and I don't even remember hitting the ground. The bike landed about 15 feet away on it's left side in the ditch 180 degrees from my riding direction. Nothing was damaged except my pride. I will be considering a damper very seriously. Thanks for all the great input.

01 1150 GS 38,500 miles
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote