User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Mclean Creek: a lost wallet, license plate and 2 XR650R's

This all started last year when a friend from school tells me he has a 1974 honda XL100 that's been sitting in a garage for the last 20 years or so... fast forward he now has his motorcycle license and a plated XR650R.

We decided to go on a 4 day trip to the Canadian Rockies in August so we figured a mini trip to see how things go was in order. So Ben shows up on Thursday night and we start preping his bike Friday monring. A quick oil change, new chain and sprockets and a Clark 4.3G tank and were ready to roll at an early noon.

We head west out of Calgary on HWY 8, then head south onto HWY 22 stoping in at Bragg Creek to top of the tanks before we hit some single track in Mclean Creek...

I do my best to figure out this outdated map of the single track trails in the McLean Creek FLUZ. A few $$$ in gas and were off, almost. I get about 3km out of Bragg Creek and realize that my bag was still open and my wallet is long gone! So Ben & I double back to the gas station riding the ditch looking for my wallet. We get all the way back and no wallet. Im starting to sweat at this point. When were about to give up an old couple pulls up to me and asks "are you Jason?" These awesome people had seen it fall out of my bag and followed me all the way back into town to return it.

This is pretty much where our luck runs out... We make a run for McLean as it is now about 1PM and we had yet to see any single track...

One more glance at the map of the area and we are off! (notice that one XR650R is missing a license plate...)

More to come...
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

About a Km down the McLean Creek road we hang a left onto a quad trail that leads us to the single track. We had such a blast riding this great trail that when we popped out on a 4X4 trail we realized none of us had taken any pictures!

After taking a quick break we realize that Ben has no license plate .

So I hop back on the bike and backtrack to the main road to see if the drop offs, roots and logs may have ate his license plate for lunch.

While I raced back down the trail Ben took a break to contemplate the maze of trails that we are struggling to not get lost in...

I rode all the way back to the main rode with not luck, so I turned around and for the 3rd time rode this great piece of single track. Once I get back we decide to take the 4X4 trail North which is supposed to meet up with more single track. The trail turns out to be a lot harder than expected, big slabs of rock with a vertical ledge near the top that took out Ben. Lots of huffing and puffing and we got Ben's XR to the top.

To all of you who ride an XR650R, if it floods use the "race start" Don't try to clear it out just hold the throttle wide open and kick as usual. I was shocked how much easier it is...

Continuing on we reach the top of this hill and ponder the landscape.

More to come...
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,843
Continue in the new Day Trippin' forum.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
windquest OP
Studly Adventurer

This was the point where we got hopelessly lost... I forgot that my gps cookie trail was set to one second interval after which it deletes and starts over, and we couldn't figure out what grid the map was

looking at the map I have highlighted the trails we ended up actually on after some research.

So at the intersection of the 3 purple trails (4X4) and the green trail (Quad) we took the quad trail, which in hindsight I should have taken a pic because it was awful to ride. straight down a rocky stream infested trench with no where to stop or turn around.

Ben & I were struggling on this section. I recommend NOT riding it if you can as it is pretty much impossible to ride back up (@ least for our skill level).

We wussied out at the red trail as we need a break. we headed south on the red road (logging rd) and had lunch where the red trail forks. We were completely lost at this point and running low on time so we tried the red trails that when south and east only to find that they dead end. On the third try we headed north and ended up in Gooseberry.

We decided to cut our losses and license plate and burn back to town before the registry closed so Ben could get a new license plate...

A few cold beers and my old license plate bracket and Ben was ready for the second half of our weekend riding: Limestone Mountain Lookout

As I have no pics of the actual single track I will try and make it back with a camera and possibly a HD helmet cam for some live action! will post as soon as I have it.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
akadvntr
Frozen

Oddometer: 220
It's never an adventure until things break or fall off!

2008 KLR650 sold 1-4-14
2012 VStrom DL1000
akadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote