Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #16
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,821
nice sample of a modded one (gsxr front end swap)

MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Three years ago I bought a used 2003 SV1000S. I drilled the top triple clamp and installed bar mounts with FZ6 handle bars and bar end weights and added Buell footpegs. I was able to use the existing brake lines and throttle cables but had to reroute them. The riding position is comfortable for me for up to 200 miles. I'm 6"2" and 65 yrs young - without the bar and footpeg mods, I was in pain within 15 miles. I did my own valve shim adjustment at 18K -- all but one shim needed to be changed but the SV1000 engine is very easy to work on. Love the V-Twin sound and instant power (geared one tooth down on the countershaft).
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Patmich OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
All of your newest posts were very good. Thank you. I do not think I will be getting the SV1000. I know mods are available. but I just don't want to
have to mess with mods. I don't know dick about mods to begin with,
and I live in a 1BR apartment to boot so I want a bike that is ready to ride,
as is. I learned a lot here, and you helped me make a decision. Thanks much.
Patmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmich
All of your newest posts were very good. Thank you. I do not think I will be getting the SV1000. I know mods are available. but I just don't want to
Good luck with it - post a pic or two when you get the chance. Did you buy the yellow S3 that was on craigslist?

I just picked up an '03 SV1000S last Friday. I'm going to reserve judgment on it until after I get a new chain, sprockets, and tires installed, but the engine's a peach. The riding position is close to a full-on sport bike, though the clipons are a bit higher than typical SS fair. It sounds like that would have been something you'd want to change, either with helibars, convertibars, or installing a handlebar. Really makes me wish manufacturers would give options with regard to clip-on rise.

On the plus side, the front fairing does a great job, producing a nice turbulent-free flow of air right around shoulder height.

I test rode a Speed Triple a few weeks ago. Great bike, wonderful engine, and more comfortable, though the footpegs are a little high and didn't seem to match the handlebar position. Not many choices for wind protection, though I would at least go with the flyscreen. It's a great choice for riding around in the mountains. Probably the one I'd choose, given the minimal price difference.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmich
To be honest, I don't think you can wrong with EITHER the SV or the Triumph... BUT ...

You really should at least take a test ride on an SV1000S if you can't find a naked one. The ergos might actually work for you. I was at the National SV Rally last month with a whole bunch of SV-S owners and didn't hear complaints about the riding position. ADV tends to skew older, too, so you hear a lot of complaining about back pain on here. That's just the way things are.

Take a test ride before you decide the riding position won't work for you.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #21
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,307
I had an SV650N, bought a new SV1000N because I wanted a little more power. In hindsight, the 650 handled better. I still love my 1000 naked though.

The riding position on the naked was still decidedly sporty though, and I remedied that by the Buell peg change, and a set of Heli-Bar bar backs.

Now a very comfortable bike that can do anything.

My only complaint against the Triumph would be a sometime parts problem. I've heard Triumph can have a problem with parts availability.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #22
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 877
i raised the stock bars of my 03 sv1000 with a 20mm spacer gen mar i think, and lowered the foot pegs about an inch with buell foot pegs and added the shorter shift arm from a tl and i gotta tell you this bike is a joy to ride.my wieght keeps changing so the suspension is a little harsh right now but thats my fault for not adjusting it .
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #23
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66

My only complaint against the Triumph would be a sometime parts problem. I've heard Triumph can have a problem with parts availability.
Not really, Truimph has got better and better in my decade of ownership. Maintenance items are no problems, its balling up the bike that can take a while.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #24
Don Gavino
Michigan Catracho

Oddometer: 172
Dude, SV1000, awesome

Here's mine on a trip around Lake Superior. I have made some changes to make it more of a tourer, like lowering footpegs, raising the fairing, bolting on upright handlebars, heated grips, swapping '03 subframe for an '05, made my own rack for the GIVI. It hauls ass and got 45 mpg on that trip.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
I had an SV650N, bought a new SV1000N because I wanted a little more power. In hindsight, the 650 handled better. I still love my 1000 naked though.
The 650 is a little more "flickable", but the SV1000 is awesome with a GSXR fork and the appropriate springs! Fly screens are cheap too, this one was about $80.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
Patmich OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks for the most recent replies, ate it up. Appreciate it.
Patmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #27
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
it's very close to call. you might notice the ergos on the s3 to be more relaxed...fewer options for bags/luggage on the s3 due to the high pipes and stubby tail (it's a 1050, right?)...the svs has clipons to the s3's handlebar...right? that'll make the sv less comfy...but it will make the front end feel much better. my own comparison between my gixxer and a friend's 1050 s3 brought out that particular vagueness from the front...he came back from my bike loving how solid/planted the front felt. i think it was less leverage from the clipons and more direct connection to the front end.

the SV will just plain run like a top. it needs nothing special as far as maintenance is concerned, it makes very good power and would be my personal choice but lacks the bling factor the s3 has. the 1050 has a very good reputation for reliability...so there's nothing really in it.

saving a few hundred bucks and putting that toward a good set of luggage to make the sv more trip-worthy...or maybe a penske shock might be just the ticket.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
I think either bike would be good for what you wanna do. If ergos are a big concern, the speed triple may be better, since you will not have to modify it to have the higher upright riding position.

I have ridden my SV1000, and a buddies Triumph Sprint 1050. I also used to have a GSXR 600 as a track bike. The feel of the power of the three is interesting. The GSXR, inline 4, you don't really feel the power...you give it gas, look down and you are doing 100 MPH. The SV1000...Vtwin...you give it gas, and know you are getting to 100 Mph...because the torque makes it feel like an invisible rope is pulling/pushing you there very hard. The triple motor, is like a beautiful blend of the two feelings.....you feel some torque, and some HP..and it is very different than the other two motor configurations. It made me laugh at how different it was.

Not sure if the ST suffers the same issue as my buddies bike, but the engine puts out a crap load of heat, and you feel it on your legs bigtime. That is not an issue with the SV1000.

I know you said you did not wanna mod anything, but you can do it if desired. I loved my clip ons for riding the track or twisties...but not the hour or two slabbing it there and back...so I changed my bike to bars: (I do not mind modding....note the GSXR tail and custom subframe I built)

Also, for anyone having issues with the brakes on the SV1000....swap to stainless line, Galfer, Speigler, etc, and some Vesrah RJL pads...totally transforms the braking.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #29
basstodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Sv1000

Not to hijack this thread but will drilling into the triple tree, to mount straight handlebars, compromise the clamps strength?
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #30
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 327
Really no need, buying the standard bar top triple clamp is cheap and it's easy to swap.