Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shanks
Has anyone run a Leo Vince enduro slip-on muffler on a KLR? Good? Quiet? What do you think?
I have no knowledge of the KLR specific Leo Vince system, but on a few
bikes I've seen/read the specs, the Leo Vince WITH the dB killer is at
best AS loud as stock at half the available RPMs (where most measure
the noise), and for some bikes (like my 650R, or the Aprilia Pegaso/Shiver)
it's actually 1dB down from stock!

If it's listed as road legal, you'll probably end up with a different sound
but same noise level.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
koyote
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Just installed the Leo Vince X-3 on my KLR and have to say I am very pleased. The unit seems very well made and comes with various options for short tube insert or long tube insert. I chose the long tube with spark arrestor. Install was fairly simple even for my very limited abilities. I will need to trim the rear fender slightly and was made aware of this prior to purchase from Happy Trails. The X-3 feels significantly lighter than the stock exhaust and looks ALOT better. The exhaust note is deeper and just slightly louder than stock, perfect in my opinion. I was a little apprehesive about there being any performance gain, however after the first ride I could absolutely notice improvement. The improvement I noticed was in throttle response. No more lagging up to speed, acceleration was smooth and responsive all the way to higher RPM's. My bike is an 02 with the only carb adjustment being the 22 cent mod. I noticed no popping on decelleration and jetting seems spot on. Hope this helps, can't post any pics at this time (sorry).
koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #18
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyote
Just installed the Leo Vince X-3 on my KLR and have to say I am very pleased. The unit seems very well made and comes with various options for short tube insert or long tube insert. I chose the long tube with spark arrestor. Install was fairly simple even for my very limited abilities. I will need to trim the rear fender slightly and was made aware of this prior to purchase from Happy Trails. The X-3 feels significantly lighter than the stock exhaust and looks ALOT better. The exhaust note is deeper and just slightly louder than stock, perfect in my opinion. I was a little apprehesive about there being any performance gain, however after the first ride I could absolutely notice improvement. The improvement I noticed was in throttle response. No more lagging up to speed, acceleration was smooth and responsive all the way to higher RPM's. My bike is an 02 with the only carb adjustment being the 22 cent mod. I noticed no popping on decelleration and jetting seems spot on. Hope this helps, can't post any pics at this time (sorry).
I'm still on the fence with intake/carb/exhaust mods. My KLX650 was heavily modded, and got finicky at times. I love the way this one just starts right up and runs flawlessly. I might eventually cave and do a slip on, so I did up a list of availble pipes. The Pro Circuit T-4 looked like a decent one, but no one said they had one for a review. LV is one I like, but I wouldn't want to trim the fender. I have to see if Akrapovich has one, as I love the full race system from them on my RSV-R.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
koyote
Studly Adventurer

The fender trim is very minimal and hardly noticable. I was also hesitant at first as my KLR also started and ran very well with the stock pipe. I really wasn't expecting the improvement that I got.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
pix
Old 07-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyote
The fender trim is very minimal and hardly noticable. I was also hesitant at first as my KLR also started and ran very well with the stock pipe. I really wasn't expecting the improvement that I got.
Thanks. Can you do some pics when you get a chance? I have a pretty lame one of mine as she sits in my "farkeling" thread. I need to get some better ones.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #22
koyote
Studly Adventurer

My camera recently came up missing so I'll try and see what I can come up with.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
lonerwolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Cool2 I just installed on my 09'....

I like the sound..
Very high quality and easy install..
Backfires under decel but will have that dealt with..needs to be re adjusted slightly.
I can send you a pic tomorrow.
lonerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
I assume the X3 will have to be repacked every so often. Has anyone had to do that yet? I'm curious what the repack interval would be for a KLR.

Thanks!

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #25
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
I see it has a nice bump in power output in the 6-7000 rpm range according to the dyno chart at Happy Trail.

In my opinion, any exhaust that needs repacking will be a PITA on a bike that sees any touring type mileage.
That said, it is still great to see another pipe for the KLR 650.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,357
I listened to a 705 KLR that Happy Trails had at the BMW national rally. I was impressed with the sound and the sound level. Seemed not much louder than stock, with a pleasant (to me) thumper sound.
Like Stu says, it will get louder, so one needs to decide if the repacking is more trouble than it is worth.
I'm tempted

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

I looked at the Yoshi and Pro Circuit mufflers. I ruled out the Supertrapp. Now also considering the LV. Do all of them require re-packing?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #28
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,555
i like mine, quiet with 16,000 miles on it. 685 stgII head. A loud exhaust isn't something I can handle since I use the bike for touring. It works well for that mellow sound and gives a good TQ curve
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #29
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley
i like mine, quiet with 16,000 miles on it. 685 stgII head. A loud exhaust isn't something I can handle since I use the bike for touring. It works well for that mellow sound and gives a good TQ curve
How many times have you had to repack it over the 16k miles?

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #30
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

I'm looking for a little improvement in sound, although the wife actually went out for a ride on this one. She hated how loud the Supertrap equipped KLX was. Some weight savings is always good.