User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Rockkyyy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Plano-Arkansas, A 3 day Weekend Ride !

It’s been 5 months since I moved to Dallas. I am here on a work assignment. Which means didn’t ride a bike since Jan. I ride a 225cc Honda back in India. Always wanted to ride a bigger one. Ever since I landed I wanted to take a bike for rent. Before that I wanted to take car license so that I can go around and look for some rental shops.

I don’t have a car license in India too so couldn’t drive here. So first step to ride a bike here was to get a Car license. Oh yes I did that, 3 weeks back.
Very next week end went to a rental to look for bikes. I wanted to take something for touring and comfortable for my wife as a pillion. He had bikes in all segments, I but I didn’t want to go for a bigger bike for the first time. FZ was the only choice I looked at since it almost had the same stance and seating position as my bike, of course much powerful than my 17bhp ZMA 223.So reserved the bike and decided to ride on the July 4th weekend.

Posted a thread on Planning section to know about some good places to ride close to Texas. Thanks to all for the feedback and tips specially a1fa for giving detailed plan. Buddy sorry I still don know your real name.

Not writing much on the pre-ride lets get to R&R.

Day 1.

Started around 7:20 am, It was drizzling here in plano. I was not yet comfortable with the bike’s clutch, it was almost at the end. I am not sure if that’s the case with all the bikes here. Especially in traffic in city limits it got switched of couple of times when I had to stop and go. It took some time, then I got used to it. Fist 50 miles I was getting used to the bike and the highway riding here. I am used to 70 miles per hour in India but here its quite different since every one travels at same time. More over this time its quite different that I have a pillion. BTW forgot to say we got married in Jan this year, so this was our first long ride, though we had couple of short one day rides. So this is more of like a Honeymoon Ride 

My Wife - Deepthi

Yours Truly

The plan was to hit Talihina and ride thru Talimena scenic ride and then head to Mt Magazine or Mena. I got pretty much comfortable with the bikes after around 50 miles and was much less nervous that when we started – I got to admit. It was drizzling all the way, but I a way it was good that it kept us cool and for me it was a perfect condition to ride. I love riding in rain. We stopped couple of times including a fuel stop before Talihina. We reached Talihina around 1:30. Went ahead and drove towards Talimena Scenic Drive. We had only one pair of rain gear which I gave to her. I was completely drenched and was quite liking it. We stopped in the Information center just before the scenic drive starts. Took half an hour break , took map and registered our name in the record.

I had bought GoPro HD Cam a day before the ride. I tried to set it up on helmet , it didn’t work out since helmet was wet and more over I was not doing it correctly which I realized later.

We started from there. This is one time I was totally got surprised by what we have seen.I never knew US had this beautiful place. I was completely foggy and it reminds me of many routes I rode back in India. It was exactly the same with much better road. The whole way till Mean was completely foggy. Just mind blowing. The only problem being we couldn’t see all the view points because nothing was visible because fog. We took around 3 and hour to cover just 60 miles till Mena. But I must say this was the best part of the trip – just pure natural beauty and perfect weather.

We reached Mena around 5:30. Went to Mc D and had Mac Chikens. I had 3, oh yeah this was the first full meal of the day, we just had snacks whenever we stopped whole day. I was surprised to see that cost was Just 1 $ for sandwiches which is much lesser than Plano rate. After having food we went to wallmart which was right opposite to Mac D. We had got along only one Tent with us. So we bough one sleeping bag and one more pair rain gear and some snacks. Oh yes used to Wal-Mart restrooms too since the camp site which we booked didn’t had a bath area/toilets.

We had booked a tent space in Renegade Ranch , 3680 Highway 88 East . Mena, Arkansas 71953 - Cell#1: 479-216-0155 – Catty. Set the route in GPS and called catty when we reached close by. Had to spent 5 mins to figure out the place since we rode a little ahead. We rode back and then noticed the Ranch Board close by.

Since it rained every else had canceled the booking. So it was just us. So go to pick up any spot. She gave us a can of water. We setup the tent pretty quick and took rest.
Then it was time for Camp fire – next one hour was looking around to get some dry woods. It was nice , not much cold / hot. We could hear only the night insects noise as a music. Slept nice and tight in one sleeping bag – we just opened it up completely and was king of using like a blanket than sleeping inside.

To be continued .....

Rockkyyy screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 07:56 PM
Rockkyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Elder_Rogue
Loser Gone Wild

Oddometer: 137
Thumb

Cool Pictures!

The wife and I need to make that run soon.

We are just northwest of Dallas, about 70 miles.
Elder_Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301

Nice ride, Captain - and you have a beautiful wife! Welcome!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Rockkyyy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Rogue
Cool Pictures!

The wife and I need to make that run soon.

We are just northwest of Dallas, about 70 miles.
Thank you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa

Nice ride, Captain - and you have a beautiful wife! Welcome!

Thank you Bro.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
goinssr
Crazy S.O.B.

Oddometer: 286
Ditto on the beautiful wife!!! I really like the pic of you and her kneeling beside the bike in front of the Arkansas state line sign.
goinssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Nice pics. I was following your other thread, but couldn't help you any.

I just sold my FZ6 before I ever had a chance for a really long trip. It was a nice bike for sure. About what...70-80 hp difference between your India bike and this one?

Thx for posting up.
MN
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. What camera did you use? Did you fix up the pictures a little bit with some editing software or these are directly from your camera? Coloring is really nice! Thanks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Rockkyyy OP
Adventurer

@goinssr - Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand
Nice pics. I was following your other thread, but couldn't help you any.
I just sold my FZ6 before I ever had a chance for a really long trip. It was a nice bike for sure. About what...70-80 hp difference between your India bike and this one?
Thx for posting up.
MN

oh yeah
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Rockkyyy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. What camera did you use? Did you fix up the pictures a little bit with some editing software or these are directly from your camera? Coloring is really nice! Thanks.
Thank you. Canon 450D. Most of them from exposure. Others adjusted the brightness/contrast/crop - which pretty much can be done if pic is taken by spending enough time. I dont know to use Photo shop but results can be much better if we use. I just use picasa.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Lexington
deliciously wicked

Oddometer: 11,489
Great ride! I was hoping to head that same direction with a friend this weekend, but plans changed.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out there soon!

Some women aren't meant to be tamed...they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Rockkyyy OP
Adventurer

Some More Pics on Day 1

Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockkyyy
BTW forgot to say we got married in Jan this year, so this was our first long ride, though we had couple of short one day rides. So this is more of like a Honeymoon Ride 

To be continued .....
That is one of the coolest reports I've read in a long tiime. The photo of you two at the border just says it all.

I sure hope your last statement rings true for the rest of your lives together.

Very inspirational story........ keep it coming.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,048
Nice ride.. i like those misty pics
Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Rockkyyy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel
That is one of the coolest reports I've read in a long tiime. The photo of you two at the border just says it all.

I sure hope your last statement rings true for the rest of your lives together.

Very inspirational story........ keep it coming.
I am glad you liked it. Yeah the life long ride will continue :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Nice ride.. i like those misty pics
Thank you
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
great pics, thanks for sharing!
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote