ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
SCVGS OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: SCV, CA
Oddometer: 72
800GS Uni Filter

I got some free dyno time today and found that the little foam plugs that Uni gives you as prefilters cost me 3.2 peak HP! Remove them and its equal to a stock filter. Drill three 1" holes in the airbox lid and gain 2.6 peak HP and the torque rises a bit below 5K RPM. YMMV
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,792
Interesting.
I wasn't crazy about the pre-filters when I put them in. I will most likely leave them in for now.
Horsepower is the devil, right?
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVGS
I .... Drill three 1" holes in the airbox lid and gain 2.6 peak HP and the torque rises a bit below 5K RPM. YMMV

So what is it about vehicle engineers that makes them design air intakes that overly restrict air flow ... some people would read your comments and wonder why BMW didn't make the snorkels another 1/2" larger in diameter or something exotic like that and pick up some free HP ...

I've had the same issue on lots of other vehicles...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur
 
Too Many Toys's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
So what is it about vehicle engineers that makes them design air intakes that overly restrict air flow ... some people would read your comments and wonder why BMW didn't make the snorkels another 1/2" larger in diameter or something exotic like that and pick up some free HP ...

I've had the same issue on lots of other vehicles...
I think OEM intake systems on bikes are a measure of performance vs. intake noise, so there is usually a slight compromise on out-right power to keep the intake noise down. Just my opinion
__________________
TMT
Too Many Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Toadride
Studly Adventurer
 
Toadride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Done Roamin/Now Homin.
Oddometer: 826
Can someone clue me in on this prefilter thing? I wasn't aware of anything but the main air intake filter.
__________________
I once was lost but now I'm...no wait, I'm still lost.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
Can someone clue me in on this prefilter thing? I wasn't aware of anything but the main air intake filter.
They are two foam plugs that sort of pre scrub the air coming from the snorkels. Sort of like a two stage system. The air that then enters the main filter has already been filtered a little..... Drawback..... more restriction= less flow.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVGS
I got some free dyno time today and found that the little foam plugs that Uni gives you as prefilters cost me 3.2 peak HP! Remove them and its equal to a stock filter. Drill three 1" holes in the airbox lid and gain 2.6 peak HP and the torque rises a bit below 5K RPM. YMMV
Could you post the graphs please. I would like to see them... It is sad that you loose flow with the uni..... Neither uni or k&n should rob any flow....I say should.....apparently does`nt mean the y wont..... But is it surprising never the less.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle
 
3Rrr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Oddometer: 172
Prefilter to filter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Could you post the graphs please. I would like to see them... It is sad that you loose flow with the uni..... Neither uni or k&n should rob any flow....I say should.....apparently does`nt mean the y wont..... But is it surprising never the less.

Erling
Here is the link to Touratech's product page.

3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,779
The Touratech one is for the R1200GS and does not fit well in the F800GS. I told a guy at TT this, and he said he'd look into it. Well it looks as though they haven't. They still list it for the F800GS. I bought it and tried to install it. The filter pods are a good inch or more too tall, making them sit and squish into the bottom of the air box. Also, you can't use those sock-style prefilters that for the R1200GS on the F800GS without cutting the snorkels. I do not advise using the TT/UNI Australia R1200GS filter on the F800GS. It is simply not designed for it. I told TT this, and they didn't listen. IMO it should not be listed for the F800GS.

So, I sent the TT/Uni Australia filter back to TT for a refund of my $100. Next, I called up and worked directly with UNI USA (the original) in California. They built me a prototype dual pod filter specifically for the F800GS. It has shorter pods so that it fits in the airbox without being squished, and (I have to toot my own horn here) comes with two coarse foam prefilter plugs that I thought of.

So, if you want a foam filter specifically for the F800GS, then call up UNI USA in Cali. Plus, it's $35. Not the absurd $103.20 that TT asks for the Uni Australia one that isn't even for the F800GS!

Here is a post from the "F800GS Air Filter" thread that shows the surgery you have to do to the bike to use the pre-filters. It also shows how the TT/UNI Aus one is way too long:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=73

Here is my post showing the UNI USA F800GS filter:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=159

Here is my post installing the UNI USA F800GS filter, showing how well it fits and how you don't have to cut anything to use the pre-filters:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=164
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

The Griz screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 11:04 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile
 
DolphinJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
Can someone clue me in on this prefilter thing? I wasn't aware of anything but the main air intake filter.

They are talking about an aftermarket foam filter brand "Uni Filter" that comes with two prefilters for the intake tubes.
__________________
_________________________________

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,779
Here is the UNI USA F800GS filter listed on the UNI USA website:

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...streetbmw.html

It is UNI USA part number NU-7308.

Cheers.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Bartron
Bike Punisher
 
Bartron's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: mid-west-northern Canadia
Oddometer: 692
Just so people don't get as confused as I did. The F800GS specific Uni Filter fits very well but the rider's right pod does make contact with a small bulge in the plastic floor of the airbox.

Good kit at a good price.

EDIT: By "F800GS specific Uni Filter" I am referring to the "UNI USA" F800GS filter
__________________
Ride on.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."

Bartron screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 03:54 PM
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,779
Actually the $35 UNI USA F800GS specific filter "touches" on the right pod ever so slightly. I mean barely touches. This is ok since it just touches and doesn't squish. Also, Roger at UNI USA in Cali said that it is as short as they could go on a pod filter anyway. That said, this is a far cry from the serious squishing you have to do to the taller $100 UNIfilter Australia R1200GS filter to get it to fit in the F800GS air box.

The point is this:

The Unifilter Australia filter (Unifilter Australia model NU-7305 kit) is designed for the R1200GS and HP2, not the F800GS.

The UNI USA filter (UNI USA model NU-7308) was designed by UNI USA and I specifically for the F800GS.

PS I just talked to someone at Touratech USA and they're going to remove the $103.20 Unifilter Australia filter that is for the R1200GS from their F800GS page. Again, it is not designed for the F800GS.

Also, it's important to remember that Unifilter Australia and UNI USA are not the same company. They are two completely separate entities.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OZZY-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Tarlee South Australia
Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Actually the $35 UNI USA F800GS specific filter "touches" on the right pod ever so slightly. I mean barely touches. This is ok since it just touches and doesn't squish. Also, Roger at UNI USA in Cali said that it is as short as they could go on a pod filter anyway. That said, this is a far cry from the serious squishing you have to do to the taller $100 UNIfilter Australia R1200GS filter to get it to fit in the F800GS air box.

The point is this:

The Unifilter Australia filter (Unifilter Australia model NU-7305 kit) is designed for the R1200GS and HP2, not the F800GS.

The UNI USA filter (UNI USA model NU-7308) was designed by UNI USA and I specifically for the F800GS.

PS I just talked to someone at Touratech USA and they're going to remove the $103.20 Unifilter Australia filter that is for the R1200GS from their F800GS page. Again, it is not designed for the F800GS.

Also, it's important to remember that Unifilter Australia and UNI USA are not the same company. They are two completely separate entities.

I have been using the Unifilter Australia kit for about 3000 klm and are very happy with it. It is actually 8mm longer than it needs to be on my kit. It does not seem to effect the bikes air filtration at all.I have never had any dust get past it nor excessive oil build up in the Airbox.
I understand it is made for the 1200 but hey it works great on the 800. Having said that if I could get the specific UNi USA kit I would use it for sure.
I would love to hear what documented issues you guys have had with the Unifilter Australia kit or if it is just a good excuse to complain about something else on this Thread.
Just get out and ride and enjoy your bikes guys.
__________________
Riding
BMW F800GS
OZZY-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmon
I have been using the Unifilter Australia kit for about 3000 klm and are very happy with it. It is actually 8mm longer than it needs to be on my kit. It does not seem to effect the bikes air filtration at all.I have never had any dust get past it nor excessive oil build up in the Airbox.
I understand it is made for the 1200 but hey it works great on the 800. Having said that if I could get the specific UNi USA kit I would use it for sure.
I would love to hear what documented issues you guys have had with the Unifilter Australia kit or if it is just a good excuse to complain about something else on this Thread.
Just get out and ride and enjoy your bikes guys.
Reading the above, there are two complaints they have:

a) It's three times as expensive (in the USA) as the UNI-USA kit

b) It doesn't fit as well as the UNI-USA kit

They sound valid to me.
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014