ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmon
I have been using the Unifilter Australia kit for about 3000 klm and are very happy with it. It is actually 8mm longer than it needs to be on my kit. It does not seem to effect the bikes air filtration at all.I have never had any dust get past it nor excessive oil build up in the Airbox.
I understand it is made for the 1200 but hey it works great on the 800. Having said that if I could get the specific UNi USA kit I would use it for sure.
I would love to hear what documented issues you guys have had with the Unifilter Australia kit or if it is just a good excuse to complain about something else on this Thread.
Just get out and ride and enjoy your bikes guys.
Not only is the Unifilter Australia R1200GS filter not designed for the F800GS, but it costs us over $100 for us to get in the US!! For a foam air filter that is simply consumer abuse/rape! If you think that we're just "complaining" then you're not paying attention to the facts:

Unifilter Australia NU-7305 R1200GS KIT:

1) Designed for the R1200GS, not the F800GS
2) Too tall for the F800GS airbox. Yes, it won't effect filtration. However, why would people in the USA want to spend over $100 for a filter that you have to force fit/squish into the airbox when you can spend only $35 on a filter that is designed strictly for the F800GS and fits perfect?
3) The Unifilter Australia R1200GS filter has more left to right play in the F800GS airbox hole than the UNI USA F800GS filter.
4) You can't use the Unifilter Australia R1200GS kit's snorkel pre filters on the F800GS without cutting plastics on the bike.
5) Upon inspection and comparison of the filter rubber flanges and filter media, it is my opinion that the UNI USA F800GS filter is a superior product. The UNI USA filter media seems nicer to me as well as the rubber flange on the USA filter seems made to strict F800GS airbox hole tolerances.

I've tried and used both. This comes from experience.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OZZY-GS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Tarlee South Australia
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Not only is the Unifilter Australia R1200GS filter not designed for the F800GS, but it costs us over $100 for us to get in the US!! For a foam air filter that is simply consumer abuse/rape! If you think that we're just "complaining" then you're not paying attention to the facts:

Unifilter Australia NU-7305 R1200GS KIT:

1) Designed for the R1200GS, not the F800GS
2) Too tall for the F800GS airbox. Yes, it won't effect filtration. However, why would people in the USA want to spend over $100 for a filter that you have to force fit/squish into the airbox when you can spend only $35 on a filter that is designed strictly for the F800GS and fits perfect?
3) The Unifilter Australia R1200GS filter has more left to right play in the F800GS airbox hole than the UNI USA F800GS filter.
4) You can't use the Unifilter Australia R1200GS kit's snorkel pre filters on the F800GS without cutting plastics on the bike.
5) Upon inspection and comparison of the filter rubber flanges and filter media, it is my opinion that the UNI USA F800GS filter is a superior product. The UNI USA filter media seems nicer to me as well as the rubber flange on the USA filter seems made to strict F800GS airbox hole tolerances.

I've tried and used both. This comes from experience.
Re the price, I would have thought all of us suckers that buy various items from Touratech's catalogue should be used to getting shafted for parts.
As I said in my previous post if I could get one of the UNI USA filters I would use it for sure.(Maybe I should get online and order one and give it a go)
I was just stating the AUS unit works well and I don't think it hurts having more filter surface area on an Air cleaner!
Also, when you say that UNI USA have made the pod filter as short as they can go, does that mean there is only just enough filter area to do the job? Just a thought.

I totally understand the price factor but I think people shouldn't use that as the main reason for not buying something.
If this was the case I don't think any of us would be riding a BMW thats for sure.
__________________
Riding
BMW F800GS
OZZY-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
SCVGS OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: SCV, CA
Oddometer: 72
I bought mine a month or so ago online for $42 shipped. Just do a search for the UNI USA part #.
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmon
I totally understand the price factor but I think people shouldn't use that as the main reason for not buying something.
If this was the case I don't think any of us would be riding a BMW thats for sure.
What do they put in the water in SA and where can I get some?

If you think it makes sense to pay triple for a filter that doesn't fit your bike properly and isn't as well-made, feel free

Me, I reckon even $35 is too much and am happy to swap out the OEM paper filter as required. But then, I ride alone, so I don't usually have much dust to suck in.
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,767
UNI USA NU-7308

http://www.mxmegastore.com/UNI-AIR-F...S-p/147308.htm

http://www.mawonline.com/newsite/uni...ls___misc_.htm
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #21
OldCrock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OldCrock's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Gippsland
Oddometer: 111
Why we dont use BMW paper filters

Hi Raider,
The reason most of us swapped to foam filters (unifilter Aust or USA) is if we take a dive in a creek or river crossing the bike doesn't ingest a wad of paper. Yes I have 1st hand knowledge of this happening on a BMW GS, but not mine thankfully!.

Cheers
Oldcrock
OldCrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #22
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrock
Hi Raider,
The reason most of us swapped to foam filters (unifilter Aust or USA) is if we take a dive in a creek or river crossing the bike doesn't ingest a wad of paper. Yes I have 1st hand knowledge of this happening on a BMW GS, but not mine thankfully!.

Cheers
Oldcrock
Yep, fair enough. I don't do water crossings enough to worry. I had a foam filter on my DR650 though, because that used to be more adventurous - I've got more timid as I get older

Pre-filter does nothing for water crossings though, and I thought that's what we were talking about?
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #23
tmex
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrock
Hi Raider,
The reason most of us swapped to foam filters (unifilter Aust or USA) is if we take a dive in a creek or river crossing the bike doesn't ingest a wad of paper. Yes I have 1st hand knowledge of this happening on a BMW GS, but not mine thankfully!.

Cheers
Oldcrock
If you dunk the pleated paper filter on an F8 you have bigger problems to worry than ingesting paper. I tend to avoid foam filters and K&N filters simply because several tests by reliable independents who don't sell filters have shown that the pleated paper works much better. Of course, on my dirt bikes I use foam since that is all that is available.

Personally I would stay with the OEM filter.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,767
Let's not let this turn into a filter media opinion argument. That said, if everyone running the Dakar plus everyone running Baja are ok with using foam, then I'm ok. They don't seem to run into any issues with their engines related to filtration. It is my opinion that tacky oiled foam (UNI USA filter and UNI USA filter oil) is far superior to paper (OEM) or oiled cotton gauze (K&N, Blue, etc.). On my KLR650, when I was replacing the doohickey, I decided to take my inspection a bit further and pull the cam cover and cylinder cover. I mean, I had the gas tank off anyway. A few bolts is all it took. What I saw is a impeccably clean engine. The factory finish was still on the cylinder walls and piston heads. I rarely saw particulates in the oil filter, and the oil looked clean. I ran UNI USA foam filters with UNI USA filter oil. Engine oil was Motul 7100 Synthetic. So, regardless of what others have claimed in "independent tests", my personal experience is what I roll with.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #25
tmex
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Let's not let this turn into a filter media opinion argument. That said, if everyone running the Dakar plus everyone running Baja are ok with using foam, then I'm ok. They don't seem to run into any issues with their engines related to filtration. It is my opinion that tacky oiled foam (UNI USA filter and UNI USA filter oil) is far superior to paper (OEM) or oiled cotton gauze (K&N, Blue, etc.). On my KLR650, when I was replacing the doohickey, I decided to take my inspection a bit further and pull the cam cover and cylinder cover. I mean, I had the gas tank off anyway. A few bolts is all it took. What I saw is a impeccably clean engine. The factory finish was still on the cylinder walls and piston heads. I rarely saw particulates in the oil filter, and the oil looked clean. I ran UNI USA foam filters with UNI USA filter oil. Engine oil was Motul 7100 Synthetic. So, regardless of what others have claimed in "independent tests", my personal experience is what I roll with.
That said. You just did turn this into a filter media argument. I've actually raced Baja. I ride in the desert regularly. Pleated paper would get clogged pretty quickly in a Baja race which is why most of the guys running there use a foam prefilter. The reason the pleated paper gets clogged in that environment is that it traps more dirt. I would encourage people to do their own research into this topic and not rely on anecdotal endorsements.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,767
I did didn't I. Damn it. Sorry.... ....

I agree that paper filters a tad bit finer particles than foam. However, I think paper is overkill, and they clog up very fast. My opinion is that tacky oiled foam is the best compromise between filtration and air flow. All I'm saying is there is no evidence that tacky oiled foam filters cause any damage. There is no evidence of engine failure due to poor filtration from a UNI filter. And what I saw inside my KLR650's engine after thousands of miles of using a UNI filter supports that. But to each his own of course.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #27
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,767
Now, when it comes to K&N, I was shocked at what I saw upon visually inspecting two K&N's for the F800GS. Large holes in the filter media!! WTF?? These K&N cats are :



The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
SCVGS OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: SCV, CA
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Now, when it comes to K&N, I was shocked at what I saw upon visually inspecting two K&N's for the F800GS. Large holes in the filter media!! WTF?? These K&N cats are :
Want to sell it???
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVGS
Want to sell it???
Sure, I've got two actually. They retail for $40 each. They're both hardly used. I'll sell 'em for $20 each, $40 for both.

Good luck protecting your engine with these though, since there are large holes in them.... I'm not sure why you want to buy them? Unless maybe you're just being facetious.

Oiled or not, decent-sized particulates will pass through easily and into your engine.... but hey PM me and I'll give you my PayPal!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
k Dog
Nomad
 
k Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kamloops, BC Canada
Oddometer: 125
F800GS Uni Filter

Hi All,

Does anyone use the snorkel socks that come with the Uni-Filter? The instructions state to cut off the first 7.5cm of the snorkel intake to make the socks fit properly. I am a little leary about doing this. Can I get a way with just using the filter that goes in the filter box?

K Dog
__________________
K Dog

2011 F800GS
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure
k Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014