User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
kel2320 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Front Range to Moab and Back

A few months back a buddy and I decided we wanted to ride the COBDR. After researching the route we realized it consisted of a lot more pavement than we wanted. During this process one of us brought up the idea of doing a COBDR/UTBDR loop. This didn't seem reasonable with only a five day window. But the idea was there and months later we have finally come up with a route. Even though we are a still a week away from even starting the trip, the planning process itself has been one of the best and most rewarding parts. I have discovered more websites, this one included, with more information on trails, gear, and opinions that will help in planning future trips.
Attached Images

kel2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
kel2320 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The Bikes

My buddy Tom will be on his '10 KTM 690R and I will be riding my 08' KTM 530 XCRW. Both bikes are equipped with larger fuel tanks averaging to around 6.5 gallons a piece. As you can see our packing styles differ greatly. The most challenging part of preparing for this trip is deciding what to bring and what gear I really needed. Even before we decided to do this we both already had riding gear. The biggest issue was luggage. Tom has lucked out and found his GL bag and other odds and ends at steals online. I on the other hand have had no such luck. It is almost a relief though. I, like most other people, have been sucked into the black hole of motorcycle gear from time to time. Lucky for me, and my wallet, I have a wife who will reign me back in. (by reign me in I mean threaten to leave me if I don't stop wasting money on my motorcycles) Either way, I spent a lot of time looking at different luggage and luggage setups. I really liked the Wolfman brand, especially since it is made here in Colorado, and Giantloop because of its innovative design. There were many others in consideration. About a week ago though when walking through the sporting goods section I came across a couple of cheap dry bags. As much as I enjoy quality gear, the idea of just bungee strapping a bag with the minimal camping gear I needed started to appeal more to me. (again, appealed to my wife and wallet more) But honestly, just a small 20l dry bag with the essentials strapped to the back taking up minimal space is going to make riding a lot more fun for me. That plus a backpack will be more than enough. I guess what I'm getting at is this. I have spent so much time planning this trip and trying to prepare for it, that I almost forgot it was about riding. I got sucked into buying things that I thought I needed, most of which I wont even be taking with me. This is starting to sound like a hippie dippie, consumerism is bad, rant. Which it's not. Because I mean, who doesn't love buying sh*t you don't need?

kel2320 screwed with this post 06-27-2015 at 12:46 PM
kel2320 is offline   Reply With Quote