Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,809
Very nice Firenailer. Thanks.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #228
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 480
Just saw this thread last night. As a NY'er (Rochester) I'm ashamed to say that last year was my first trip to Lake Placid in my 41 years. Great roads, small towns, and for a guy from the Finger Lakes this is tough to say, but the lakes up there blow our area away from a scenic POV.
You take amazing pictures and on my next ride up there I'll try to hit some of the spots you posted.
for a great thread!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #229
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 424
Hey Quint, I was just up in Watkins Glen. Stayed at The Harbor Hotel on Seneca Lake. Spent lots of time over the years at The State Fire Acadamy in Montour, but had never gone up just to ride and sight see. Beautiful area, really nice roads, and the people just blew us away! Everyone was so nice to us, my GF wanted to move up there. I told her we'd have to come back in the winter first to see if she still thought that was what she really wanted. I'd go in a minute!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #230
quint7
I don't need a title

HAH! I work for the Rochester FD Bob. I've only been to the Academy twice for some college classes, but the area around the Glen is gorgeous. I was riding around there a couple of weeks ago. It's a great area like all of the Finger Lakes, it's just economically struggling like most of the small towns in NY so land and houses come cheap but the taxes are high for the services you get.
There are amazing roads around the Finger Lakes but they are heavily patrolled by Troopers and Sheriffs. I was on RT 21 today (one of the best "fast" curvy roads around here) and saw 2 different Troopers hiding out and one kid on a bike pulled over by a Sheriff. There are tons of wineries and B&B's too.
I need to get downstate and do some exploring around the Catskills. I have read that there are great roads all over there and I've been wanting to take a trip along the Hudson forever.

Stay safe Brother!
Jason

Oh, we get 100+ inches of snow here. That is in Rochester. Amounts vary by area but the whole Finger Lakes area gets close to that each winter. I seriously think about a Ural Hack all of the time.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #231
Firenailer
just passin' thru

You ain't kidding about those Troopers Brother! I got to meet a couple of them up close and personal, they take that speed limit thing very seriously up there! Nice enough guys though, none of that "Mongo" attitude you get down here sometimes. I'm really thinking about the Glen area, I liked it that much. Just got back from a mini tour thru VT and NH and while it was really nice, didn't like it enough to think about moving there. Love skiing there in the winter, and a ride or two during the summer but that's about it. Lake George and Champlain are both beautiful areas but I think the winters are worse than yours. I did like the Berkshires alot too, I've got to look around there a little bit. If you think the Taxes are bad up there you should try Westchester. The County is now rated the highest in the NATION!
I'll be back up in Montour in Nov. for the Fire Investigators Seminar and hopefully I can re stock on some of that wine, now that I know which ones she likes best. What a great area! I'm jealous Brother. The active firefighting is over for me, I do Cause and Origin now for a Private Company, but keep yourself safe. Retirement is good! Goodbye tension, hello pension!

BMW R1200RT
Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #232
quint7
I don't need a title

I need to take a solo trip up to the Vermont/NH area this summer. My buddies don't appreciate great pics like are in this thread. I ride around to do 2 things, ride great roads and 'meet" America in person. People, food, places, roadside folk art, it all makes traveling by bike that much more interesting. bar hopping or rallies or whatever might have been something I would've liked in my 20's, but I was broke so that didn't happen and I'm fine with it.
I'm glad to hear that you found a gig post retirement. I can go in 3 years if I want and I love your closing line so I'm gonna steal that one from you. All of the Southern Tier is like the Glen area. Ithaca is a great place to live and is close enough to Syracuse and here in Rochester to not feel isolated from the world. Anywhere around Keuka Lake is great too, but the rich and fabulous from Hollywood and down in the City are buying up all of the lakeside properties which sucks. All of the seasonal cottages are being torn down all over the Finger Lakes and mansions are being tossed up which then increases the friggin taxes even more. You can't even buy a bare lot on the water anymore and if you can it costs more than your current house does.
Don't lock yourself into the Glen area, take a couple of days if you can and just ride around the eastern lakes. Lots of "rural poor" folks down around there but friendly people and amazing country is the norm.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #233
Firenailer
just passin' thru

I agree, I just ride around, see the sights, take a few pics, (when I remember), and meet the people who always ask about where are you from, or where are you going. That's the cool thing about motorcycle travel. Even when you're on the road alone it's never really all that lonely. And our small part of America is still a pretty nice place! Don't stay on "The Job" too long Brother, we all know too many guys who stayed for whatever reasons, and are either sick or broken from the injuries, to think you can do it forever. I lasted 25 years and after my 7th surgery, I finally came to my senses and decided it was time to roll. Stay well, be safe.

BMW R1200RT
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #234
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Hannda - Capri pizza

Firenailer - so thats what AMericade looks like, even though I live 25 minutes away from Lake George I have never gone to Americade. That last pic almost looks like Lake George from the top of prospect mountain.

quint7 next time you go to Lake Placid jump off I-87 at exit 23 , this is my favorite route, great scenery and roads follow rte 9n and rte 73

Th rain has stopped here for a while and the rest of today and tomorrow is going to be riding

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:07 PM
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #235
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

W e certainly have been blessed with abundant rain so far this spring / summer and though it;s still raining with some flash flood warnings for certain areas the severe flooding we had in early spring thankfully has not returned

These are of the Conkinville dam in the middle of May

It looks calm enough from this side

Still looks normal as it approaches the spill way

Here, however is some serious volume

For comparison this was last Saturday

And a few random shots from last Sunday ,

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:07 PM
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #236
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
Gore or Whiteface?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #237
grafikfeat
-Out There-

Oddometer: 351
Looks like Gore Mountain.

That's some flow over that dam. I used to fish below it after putting in at Hadley.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #238
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Gore or Whiteface?
White Face

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:08 PM
Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #239
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
White Face

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #240
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Will you walk into my parlor said the spider to the fly
For I have many shiny things I know you'll want to buy

It’s hot outside, come in; and take a respite from the heat
And let me fill for you a glass with a tasty Kool Ade treat

Oh no said the tempted fly to ask me is in vain
for whover tastes your beverages are never the same again

Said the cunning spider to the fly, Dear friend what can I do
To prove the warm affection I’ve always held for you
I have within my parlor many things you’ll like
So come right in and feel the urge as you sit upon a bike

sweet creature said the spider you're witty and your wise
How handsome are as you stand before my door, how brilliant are your eyes!
I've a little looking-glass upon my parlor shelf,
If you'll step in one moment, sir , you shall behold yourself."
I thank you, gentle sir," he said, "for what you’re pleased to say,
And bidding you good morning now, I'll call another day."

The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,
For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again:
So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And these words came to mind...
" I generally avoid temptation unless I can;t resist it" Mae West