Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #256
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
this bike speaks to me like no other I have ever seen, ridden or owned.
When you get one that fits your body and riding style like that, you stop looking.

Quote:
BTW , I did get to Dirty Johns, need to dig out the pics for you.

Interestnly enough while passing through Warrensburg last week I spied rennovation being done on an old building with signage proclaiming "new way lunch of Warrensburg coming soon"
Did you enjoy it? I love them, my wife hates them. Never heard of anyone being ambivalent about them. As for Warrensburg, they'll sell but won't be any real competition for Oscar's.

Edit: I should have kept reading. Glad you liked/enjoyed them. I hate to tell everyone how great something is only to find I'm the only one who actually likes them.

And thanks for having two for me. Greatly appreciated. Next time I'm in GF I'll treat you to a Dirty John's or a Zach's if you haven't had one or two of those.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #257
Hannda

Quote:
Jaxobsessed, thanks for the visit

Hannda, these are for you one of the last trips on the 800. two with the works . and then I had two for you. They are as good as you remember

That you had them down on South Street, rather than up on Rte 9, well - that's just makes them that much better.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #258
Hannda

Quote:
Hannda, these are for you one of the last trips on the 800. two with the works.
THANK YOU.

Quote:
They are as good as you remember.
I was hoping/expecting that they would be.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #259
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
That you had them down on South Street, rather than up on Rte 9, well - that's just makes them that much better.
The best ones are at Hot Dog charlies in the troy/albany area. I had a quick 10 the other day.
When my uncle first took me there they were a dime.
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #260
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Hannda, my pleasre.

Boogieman, hot dog charlies are good, i like gus;s in watervluet too.

however gentlemen I recently discovered saratoga awsome dogs and dare i say they are the best yet. no camera when i went but i will go back and get some. wood grilled and their meat sauce is sublime

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:11 PM
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #261
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Gold wings, pink crocs, flying monkeys - or heat induced hallucinations ?

The heat wave started Tuesday and my air conditioner shit the bed on Wednesday. The good news was it’s under warranty, the bad news was the part needs to be shipped and won’t be here till Monday.

Now understand I’m not whining, I’ll be longing for some heat and humidity when January and February roll around. But after four days of triple digit heat index and no air conditioning I was a little bit crazy from the heat.

Sunday was free and I hadn’t ridden in a week so I was up before the sun , stood under a cold shower for 15 minutes to get my body temperature back to somewhat close to normal . Two ice coffees and a watermelon smoothie later (seedless watermelon, milk , throw in the blender, try it and thank me later) and I’m good.to go

The sun was not yet above the mountains but already it was doing its best to burn through the haze and humidity that foretold of another scorcher.

After I took this i was already overheating and bored so I amused myself by standing under the hose for a while. Destination for the day was a tour of Vermont which in addition to being world class riding had the advantage of being a few degrees cooler than New York.

Now I am one of those people who are of the opinion that if it doesn’t have a picture it didn’t happen. I admire all the pics you guys and girls take while in motion, I however do not possess that particular skill, so although I have no pictorial proof of two sightings, I swear they actually happened.

A quick fill up and I hit the slab to make some time. Traffic was conveniently almost nonexistent and I was blissfully cruising in the right lane at around 70 when i saw a single headlight far behind me but gaining ground at a fair clip, crotch rocket I’m thinking. Umm No, as he passes me I am treated to the awe inspiring sight of a late model gold wing, piloted by some guy wearing a brain bucket bleached hair peeking out,, sleeveless denim shirt unbuttoned all the way and flapping in the slipstream, neon pink crocs and cut off denim short shorts , that would look smoking on Giselle Bundchen , but in my humble opinion have no place on a man. And he was also towing the biggest freaking Jet Ski I ever saw.

Shortly thereafter I was in Vermont and I do have pictures of people who were a lot smarter than me when it’s pushing 90 degrees

smack dab along rte 30 in Dorset Vermont you'll find

and almost right across from the acess road to Okemo Ski Area there is a paved/gravekl road which brings you here.

there were only a half dozen or so people around this pool and from the strange looks they gave me it was apparent they had never seen somebody wade into a pool with full suit and boots and lie down in the shallows for a few minutes

A while later I pulled off to pee and manged to annoy this

I was headed home on vermont 30 N just past arlington. It's a beautiful two lane road, narrow, winding and runnig along the Battenkill river for a while , all in all a sweet road plus it was newly paved and smooth as silk . Bonus Points !

I'm diggin it,face shield up just doing a scootch or so above the speed limit, smelling the water in the light breeze blowing across the river when i see another bike behind me, i go around a right hand curve and when i come out i check the morror again and sweet jesus its about 5 feet off my ass and it appears to be piloted by one of the flying monkeys from the wizard of oz hunched over the handlebars leering at me with evil intent and what appeared to be salivia dripping from it;s fangs, damn those freaking things haunted my dreams as a child and now ones chasing me on a freaking motorcycle.

motioning the creature back had no effect as he remained in position, so i slowed down went as far right as i could and waved it on

as it passed me i realized it was not one of the loathsome monkeys but a wizened little old man who bore a striking resemblance to Yoda standing on the pegs of an older model gold wing. Wrinkled skin burnt brown by the sun and wearing nothing but a minuscule helmet, the afore mentioned denim shorts and what were known to my grandmothers generation as "sensible shoes" he passed me without furhter incident and continued on. WTF if you're looking for your son he's in New York with his jet ski.

All in all it was another great day and I even managed to save a baby

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:23 PM
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #262
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 427
Another great report! Hope the AC parts come in soon. No riding here last week as it was either Nairobi hot, or raining like Heck. Over 8 inches yesterday alone. HOLY COW!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #263
Hannda

Quote:
Gold wings, pink crocs, flying monkeys - or heat induced hallucinations ?
Reminds me of The Black Hole up near Chestertown. Fun swimming there in high school.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #264
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,777
Nice Joe.... You really have excellent turtle karma. Those big snappers are AMAZING.
I look for turtles and snakes all the time and have very little luck.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #265
jontow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Gorgeous shots. I live a bit northwest of most of these, and have seen many of the sites you've shown. My favorite, and I can't find it at the moment, but I took the same shot of the lonely red barn in that field shown a few pages back.. you'll know the one I'm talking about: not shown in the picture is a T intersection in an open valley with the rolling hills off the top of the T. Beautiful spot.

I took my shot from a Jeep a few years ago in mid fall, the colors were in full swing and the sun was hitting the hills in a very interesting manner. The hills alternated red and gold, and a few were lit and a few were dark. Very cool spot, and thanks for taking me back.

I noticed you like power dams and related waterflow: If you're ever in St Lawrence county, aim for Colton/South Colton/Parishville.. some nice back roads following the Racquette and the Brookfield-owned installations there. One particularly nice stretch is the "Racquette River Road" from South Colton to Parishville.

jontow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #266
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Bob, I saw the pics of NY you guys did get pounded, looks like Irene is really going to spank you this weekend, stay safe and batten down the hatches, Worst case scenario for us is 75 mph winds and 12 inches of rain, here's hoping she blows out to sea before it hits the North East

Hannda, black hole , next time i"m up that way I need to check it out

jaxobsessed i do have good tutrtle karma, snakes? i'll leave them to you I really do not like snakes

jontow, good eye the troad was right behind me in that pic, gorgeous road to ride

start of last Sunday's ride ( Vermont again)

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:24 PM
Old 08-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #267
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Spectacular photograph Joe!

08 DL1000
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #268
Hannda

Quote:
Hannda, black hole , next time i"m up that way I need to check it out

PM sent.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #269
Hannda

The PostStar showed photos of homes in Queensbury with trees crashed through their roofs from Irene . Hopefully it won't have closed your riding areas.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #270
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Hi dragonflylily how did Irene treat you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
The PostStar showed photos of homes in Queensbury with trees crashed through their roofs from Irene . Hopefully it won't have closed your riding areas.
Lots of wind and rain, power outages and downed trees Schoharie county closed evry road in the county as the gilboa dam is expected to breach, The stockade area of Schenectady will be under water this afternoon as well as parts of I 890 when the Mohawk crests. Village of green island evacuated for same reason. Vermont supposedly has major flooding issues, catskills got bombed too from what I understand.

Troy has had some mudslides and downtown they are expecting flooding today also

Today I'm guessing we'll find out more as the rivers crest and people start to get out and assess the damages

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:25 PM