Just PM'd you. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #377
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
It wouldn"t be my first choice , PM me for some routes and suggestions

I'd be happy just going up Rte 9 to people watch at Shepard's Park and, coming back the same way, stopping at Martha's for a soft serve cone.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #378
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Your entire thread is absolutely awesome!

Your photos are superb even if you do have good sites to photograph.

Also - how do you like the 800 GS? I looked and REALLY wanted one but decided to start out with a Wee Strom until I was certain I really want to be a motorcyclist again. After two months and more than 2500 miles I am certain I do and will likely try to trade next spring. Although I am falling more and more in love with the Wee every day - your BMW is still a NICE bike! :)

Thanks
J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #379
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
I'd be happy just going up Rte 9 to people watch at Shepard's Park and, coming back the same way, stopping at Martha's for a soft serve cone.
Hannda, hope all is weel with you and you are out of the fire zones.

Went by shepards Park and Martha's a few weeks ago, still loooooooong lines at Martha's, rumor is The Great Escape bought it a while back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Your entire thread is absolutely awesome!

Your photos are superb even if you do have good sites to photograph.

Also - how do you like the 800 GS? I looked and REALLY wanted one but decided to start out with a Wee Strom until I was certain I really want to be a motorcyclist again. After two months and more than 2500 miles I am certain I do and will likely try to trade next spring. Although I am falling more and more in love with the Wee every day - your BMW is still a NICE bike! :)

Thanks
J
I loved everything about it but the stock seat which I quickly replaced with a Sargent. Only issue and it was a minor one was the water pump had a slow leak and was replaced under warranty. One of the best bikes I ever owned'. 16,000miles in the year that i owned it and every one of them was a hoot

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #380
Hannda

Quote:
Hannda, hope all is well with you and you are out of the fire zones.

Went by shepards Park and Martha's a few weeks ago, still loooooooong lines at Martha's, rumor is The Great Escape bought it a while back
Thanks. As of today we're no longer under "pre-evacuation" orders.

I make statements like the ones about Rte 9, Shepards Park and Marthas but it's been so long since I lived in Glens Falls I really don't know what I'm talking about most of the time. I just have fond memories and, admittedly vast, nostalgia issues. But whenever I'm there I make it a point to have lunch at Dirty John's and, if it's summer, have a cone at Martha's and a night time walk around Lake George Village with a soft serve cone watching the folks from downstate and Quebec. Some, truely, world class people watching in LGV.

Buying Martha's would be a smart move on TGE's part, but it would probably ruin the small town, mom & pop feel about the place. I thought I saw an article in the PostStar a year or so ago that said that Martha's daughter and son in law were running the place during the summer and a second location over by East Field (on Dix?) the rest of the year. But a lot of changes could have taken place since I read that.

Thanks for the pics and the updates, it's the next best thing to being there.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #381
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Thanks. As of today we're no longer under "pre-evacuation" orders.

Buying Martha's would be a smart move on TGE's part, but it would probably ruin the small town, mom & pop feel about the place. I thought I saw an article in the PostStar a year or so ago that said that Martha's daughter and son in law were running the place during the summer and a second location over by East Field (on Dix?) the rest of the year. But a lot of changes could have taken place since I read that.

Thanks for the pics and the updates, it's the next best thing to being there.
Glad to hear you're Ok out there

just found this re marthas

http://www.retroroadmap.com/2010/06/...dside-rooster/

Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #382
Klrlindy63
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Next was a short run North to Warrensburg via Route 9N

Signs of The Times

Road Kill du Jour

Turkey Buzzard enjoying Woodchuck Tartare

While overhead a relative waits for his turn

And in the Vegetarian aisle we find........

Bambi all grown up

I spend almost all my vacation time in the ADK, Upper Saranac Lake. That one shot looks like Marcy Airfield, is that correct? Some of my favorite Riding / Driving is through that area. Usually pushing hard to get to camp.
Nice pictures!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #383
Hannda

Quote:

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #384
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrlindy63 View Post
I spend almost all my vacation time in the ADK, Upper Saranac Lake. That one shot looks like Marcy Airfield, is that correct? Some of my favorite Riding / Driving is through that area. Usually pushing hard to get to camp.
Nice pictures!

Good Eye, that is indeed Marcy field

Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #385
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,507
We spent last week touring the Adirondacks and never saw a mountain because of the rain and low clouds, but had a heck of a good time anyhow. Spent our evenings in Saranac Lake Village. Met some very nice locals. The ethnic and racial diversity surprised me somewhat (a good thing). We might do it again before the riding season is over.

Thanks again for reminding me of an area which I had forgotten about.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #386
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
PR - I can't beleive I just now discovered this thread. I lived in Lake george for 7yrs, but have been gone for 15yrs. You have brought back some great memories: tubing the Sacandaga, Dirty Johns dogs, Marthas ice cream, Prospect Mt, the fall colors, and more. God I miss the Adirondacks.

Thank You!
CR
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #387
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
You have brought back some great memories: tubing the Sacandaga, Dirty Johns dogs, Marthas ice cream, Prospect Mt, the fall colors, and more. God I miss the Adirondacks.

Thank You!
CR

You forgot to mention Eggs Benedict at The East Cove at 5am after a night of drinking designated driving.

As it appears to be for you, PR's travels and photos take me back to a pleasantly memorable time.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #388
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
We spent last week touring the Adirondacks and never saw a mountain because of the rain and low clouds, but had a heck of a good time anyhow. Spent our evenings in Saranac Lake Village. Met some very nice locals. The ethnic and racial diversity surprised me somewhat (a good thing). We might do it again before the riding season is over.

Thanks again for reminding me of an area which I had forgotten about.
Bummer about the rain but as you said a good time. Saranac is a beautiful spot. You really need to check out the area in the fall when the colors are popping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
PR - I can't beleive I just now discovered this thread. I lived in Lake george for 7yrs, but have been gone for 15yrs. You have brought back some great memories: tubing the Sacandaga, Dirty Johns dogs, Marthas ice cream, Prospect Mt, the fall colors, and more. God I miss the Adirondacks.

Thank You!
CR
Thanks for stopping by, welcome aboard, keep tuned in theres plenty more to come

Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #389
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

This is the vid I posted before that was blocked in the US

Route 73 where it cuts through a narrow canyon and runs along the cascade lakes, a series of three small stepped lakes

Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #390
spinningmywheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
advice

im crossing from vt to ny at the top of lake champlain and want to drive south towards central pa. can you suggest the nicest road?

thanks
spinningmywheels is offline   Reply With Quote