Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #451
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Possibly the finest photo I have seen on ADV.
WOW.
Thanks Jax, the combination of heat and humidity makes for some beautiful misty early mornings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I just read that the Adirondacks are the largest national park in the states. I was not aware of that, but
Do love the place!. Especially these pics. Mine so suck in comparison!
Yes it is and it's a magical place to ride

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #452
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Loon Lake to Schroon Lake

10 or 12 miles from Loon Lake is Scroon Lake

Entering many of The Adirondack towns and villages is like stepping in a time machine and being dropped back into a bygone era when things were so much simpler and Schroon lake is no exception

Its one of those places where old friends catch up over coffe in the local diner

And there's only 1 Theater in town

The main street is mostly small local businesses

And they have a very cool public beach

Where you can hang out on a bench and enjoy the view

And have a picnic

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #453
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,872
Thanks for the post!!! BEAUTIFUL!! This is the home state I want to remember.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #454
readymix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
10 or 12 miles from Loon Lake is Scroon Lake
I had to finally join the forum after reading this post. Just wanted to thank you for the memories.

I grew up in Schroon Lake and the pictures you posted brought back many memories. I saw the first Terminator movie in the Strand Theater, and I learned to play the drums at Flanigan's bar. I also lived in an apartment above one of the stores you took a photo of.

Thanks again for the post. I'm really enjoying it. Maybe someday I'll be back in NY and enjoy a ride around the area.
readymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #455
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Also...in relation to page 1 and the bike in the handicapped spot. I am a disabled rider who sometimes parks in the handicap spot depending on how my legs are doing that day. Now if you saw them walk in and do cartwheels thats a different story! screw them! Haha i have canes and other stuff to walk sometimes.

I have read this thread a bunch of times. I love it
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/

Geology Rocks screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 06:23 AM
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #456
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
Thanks for the post!!! BEAUTIFUL!! This is the home state I want to remember.
Thanks upST8, here's hoping you had good weather for your trip back

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymix View Post
I had to finally join the forum after reading this post. Just wanted to thank you for the memories.

I grew up in Schroon Lake and the pictures you posted brought back many memories. I saw the first Terminator movie in the Strand Theater, and I learned to play the drums at Flanigan's bar. I also lived in an apartment above one of the stores you took a photo of.

Thanks again for the post. I'm really enjoying it. Maybe someday I'll be back in NY and enjoy a ride around the area.
Great town to grow up in, although the winters must have been killer, welcome to the aylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Also...in relation to page 1 and the bike in the handicapped spot. I am a disabled rider who sometimes parks in the handicap spot depending on how my legs are doing that day. Now if you saw them walk in and do cartwheels thats a different story! screw them! Haha i have canes and other stuff to walk sometimes.

I have read this thread a bunch of times. I love it
I did see them pull up and park and though they didn't do cartwheels trust me when I say they were young robust and had no business parking there

Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #457
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Well then screw them. Some of us actually need to park there and have the legal right too!

Go ride and post more pictures please.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #458
chromius
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Just got back from my trip, and wow. Joe You truly are lucky to live in such a beautiful place, with great roads!

I really enjoyed exploring the area, and while the weather was on and off rain, you were spot on that the mornings were always beautiful and nice and crisp. Always made sure I was up early to take it all in. I'll be returning for sure, because there were lots of things I wanted to explore, but ran out of time.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #459
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Just got back from my trip, and wow. Joe You truly are lucky to live in such a beautiful place, with great roads!

I really enjoyed exploring the area, and while the weather was on and off rain, you were spot on that the mornings were always beautiful and nice and crisp. Always made sure I was up early to take it all in. I'll be returning for sure, because there were lots of things I wanted to explore, but ran out of time.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it and had a safe trip, if you can make it back in the fall you'll see a color show like no other

Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #460
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Route 9 used to be the main road to get to the North Country until I-87 aka the Northway was completed, Over the years this resulted in some areas losing their luster.

North Hudson used to be home to Frontier Town one of the amusement parks that used to dot The Adirondacks.

Opened in 1952 , closed for a number of years in the 80's and shut down for good in 1998

Oddly enough it's right off an exit but times passed it by

The motel is still there ( and it;s for sale)

Although there may be bad karma there for some

Take a left out of the parking lot however and you;ll come to one of the finest rides around - Blue ledge

Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #461
readymix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
My friends family owned frontier town, and both my grandmother and mother had jobs there when they were young.
We used to go there all the time.
readymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #462
Caymen8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Adirondack Ambassador

Hey Prometheus! I've just spent a whole bunch of lunch hours reading your whole thread. If there was such a thing as Adirondacks Ambassador, you would be the perfect guy for the job. I've done some bicycle trips in New York, Vermont, and Maine, but I've never been able to take the time to get my motorcycle up there. Now I'll have to figure out a way to do it!

Your photography is astonishing! I showed some of your work to my wife and we both agree that it belongs in an art book. Do you use a filter to get the really red/orange shots?

Thanks for the great photos and the entertaining writing. But thanks most of all for reminding us that we don't have to go on an around the world trip to enjoy adventure riding. Many times (as in your case and my case) some of the best riding is right in our own back yard.

Cheers!

'09 KLR 650
'08 Road Glide
Caymen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #463
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymix View Post
My friends family owned frontier town, and both my grandmother and mother had jobs there when they were young.
We used to go there all the time.
My folks took us up there a couple of times too, great place for kids

you may be interested in this http://www.frontiertown.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymen8 View Post
Do you use a filter to get the really red/orange shots?

Cheers!
Thanks for stopping by and the kind words

some times I use a circular polarizer or a graduated nd. mmost of the time i just wait for the right light, like when the sun ducks brhind a cloud or a slightly overcast day, these are the times the colors really pop

also play with different exposures. for every decent shot there are at least 10 or 15 of the same that get deleted immediatly

The early morning shots are the resullt of fog and mist which really make for some fantastic photo ops

prometheus rising screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 03:55 AM
Old 07-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #464
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Leaving North Hudson you continue up Route 9 and just before you Transition to Rte 73 you will find yourself here

T Road, do not pass this up, seriously, it's some of the best twisties you'll find in the North East

Old 07-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #465
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,389
Oops