Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #511
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post

I id go that way as you'll see in the next post - more locked gates (unless I didn't see a turn that would take me there)

Weird, maybe they gated more stuff since I was there last year? Gated roads are our greatest resource here in the North Country...

That would seem really strange to me though as there is a hiking trailhead or two, up past the blast furnace and when I was there the second time last year a school bus full of local high school students showed up for an art class field trip. There was a parking lot with an outhouse past the remaining Tahawus houses which are mostly fallen in now, and then a gated road which was the hiking trailhead.

I will go back to check it out, probably in the spring though. Keep up the good riding
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #512
Casper137
When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer: 79
Thanks Prometheus ...and Operose for that matter for the details so far.

I'll be riding down in that area next June and really want to check out the town.

Hopefully it is still accessible.

Looking forward to some more details come spring.

Also ...I do not see them gating it off if they are going to so much work on signs and educational materials for the area.

http://www.osiny.org/site/News2?page...rticle&id=8571

I be ridin an '09 DL650A with some ferrrrkles.

Casper137 screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 03:18 PM
Casper137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #513
Glenno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit0rz View Post
North Shore Rd (Saratoga Co Rt 4) just above the Conklingville Dam! One of my fav riding areas.

I have a summer home on the Great Sacandaga Lake. The view by the dam is one of my favorites!

My old HD. Sold it last August.

Glenno screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 06:38 PM
Glenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #514
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I grew up on the sacandaga, spent 25 years there and still don't live far away

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BryonLewis screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 04:15 AM
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #515
EMTNEK
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 32
Those rock cairns are the sign of a guy with way too much time on his hands.
And he punched a guy running his sawmill because he thought knocked them over. But the guy had not. I am going with a jerk that smokes a lot of dope. The cairns are for his dead dog.
It's 420 man. Huuuuusht...want a hit?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #516
EMTNEK
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 32
Joe, your photos never cease to amaze.
I think of this thread when I decide to take photos and hope to be worthy.
Passed this way this summer.
In the rain

Looks familiar.

Just around the corner from that location in the damp was a quiet resting spot like this.

But really when I think of you when I see something like this and hope I can catch it.

Almost. But not like yours.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #517
Drduct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Lake Placid and surrounding area

Fantastic thread.........it has been 10+ years since I last visited the area , guess where I am going first sign of spring ! Look forward to more of your journeys,

Cheers
Dave
Drduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #518
Grifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
PR: in 2004, I believe, the Department of Homeland Security established a 100 Mile Border Zone. Anywhere within 100 miles of the border, they have claimed the right (and courts have supported them) to stop you for any reason they like and question you. They don't need a reason to stop you -- it can be random, unlucky, a temporary roadblock or a permanent post. It doesn't matter.

If they decide they have a probable cause (which can be based on a hunch, sometimes called "an officer's years of training and experience," in other words, his say-so), they can detain and search you and your property. Until recently, that explicitly included reading your emails and the files on your computer (or data card). A judge finally decided that was a bridge too far, even for the Feds. They're just going to have to keep getting your email the old-fashioned way: ISP's hand them over for the asking.

Those of us who live in the northeast are almost never more than 100 miles from an international border. In fact, every New England state but Vermont is entirely within that zone. Consequently, it is always possible for us to be stopped by a government agent and asked to provide papers and be subjected to a search, and under penalty of law we are bound to comply. You can be sure, however, that this is keeping us safe and free, solving our immigration problem and keeping the terrah at bay.

As you noticed, they don't have much of a sense of humor about being photographed. "We're done here [citizen]. Move on [or else...]"

Anyway, great photographs and a nice running thread. I love that part of the northeast; some incredible riding over that way.
Sadly, you're right, most of New England now appears to be within this new "Constitution Free" zone.
Ich bin ein Berliner

Grifter screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 01:06 PM Reason: addition
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #519
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
great riding up there. Stayed at the Shamrock in Long lake last June before heading over to bennington, Vt for the Triumph Rally. Hope to get back there this year.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #520
SugMag60
casual observer

Oddometer: 21
Awesome Pics

Some great shots Prometheus Rising, of course beautiful subject matter is a plus. I hope to get out there again this summer/fall and your pictures are providing even more inspiration. Keep 'em coming
EMTNEK, yours are great as well. Love that part of our state more and more all the time.

Ok, I had to come back & edit my post. Earlier I had initially only looked at the last couple of pages and I was impressed. Then I found myself with some time to kill so I started to read this thread from the beginning and I am just completely blown away by your spectacular photography and entertaining narrative. I have only made it to page 11 so far but plan to read it all as time allows. It's like a book you just can't put down. Thanks for sharing your love of the ADKs and bringing a little sunshine into this bone-chilling winter.

SugMag60 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 06:22 PM
SugMag60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #521
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper137 View Post
Thanks Prometheus ...and Operose for that matter for the details so far.

I'll be riding down in that area next June and really want to check out the town.

Hopefully it is still accessible.

Looking forward to some more details come spring.

Also ...I do not see them gating it off if they are going to so much work on signs and educational materials for the area.

http://www.osiny.org/site/News2?page...rticle&id=8571
I'll be back in the spring also, altough as far as I could tell from my trips in the fall Operose is correct as I believe the only access may be from the hiking trails

I'll post up Day 2 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
great riding up there. Stayed at the Shamrock in Long lake last June before heading over to bennington, Vt for the Triumph Rally. Hope to get back there this year.
nice riding in the bennington area, enjoy this years rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugMag60 View Post
Some great shots Prometheus Rising, of course beautiful subject matter is a plus. I hope to get out there again this summer/fall and your pictures are providing even more inspiration. Keep 'em coming

Ok, I had to come back & edit my post. Earlier I had initially only looked at the last couple of pages and I was impressed. Then I found myself with some time to kill so I started to read this thread from the beginning and I am just completely blown away by your spectacular photography and entertaining narrative. I have only made it to page 11 so far but plan to read it all as time allows. It's like a book you just can't put down. Thanks for sharing your love of the ADKs and bringing a little sunshine into this bone-chilling winter.
Thanks for stopping by, you have some beautiful riding in western ny also , I.ve been meaning to head that way some time

Bone chilling winter is right, this polar vortex thing has not been good although it has afforded us some beautiful skies

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #522
SugMag60
casual observer

Oddometer: 21
Thank you!

Beautiful images I have been hoping you'd post some winter shots. It has been a harsh but often beautiful winter. Once again, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #523
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 401
Hey Joe,

Good to hear from you! I was wondering how you guys were holding up this year? Coldest winter I can remember in a long time, thankfully it's just about over.

I've actually been able to get out on the RT a couple of times these last 2 weeks, after being off of it since early December.

The snow piles along the road edges are still just about bike high and I get some funny looks from the ice fisherman as I ride by, but man it feels good to be back out again. Washing the salt and crud off when I get back home isn't so much fun....

Hopefully you guys will get some real warmth in a week or two!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #524
verdelac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Joe,

Please add to this as you thaw out.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #525
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D