Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #61
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 265
As good as the writing and riding are, your photos are absolutely stunning.

I was up in that area in early July (in 95 degree temps ) - my parents live on the eastern shore of Lake George. We rode through Lake Placid, Keene Valley, VT, etc. Beautiful area - you have motivated me to take the camera out of the tank bag in the future.

Keep it coming - I will keep reading.

Thanks,

CHris
Serbchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #62
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561

Great report. I just got a Ural and rode it into work this morning. It takes a little getting used to but I think it's going to be fun. Thanks for taking the time to take and post such great pictures.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #63
sas
Thumper Girl

Oddometer: 777
Wow. Great eye and my favorite quote from my favorite book.

Your thread reminds me of this one, also from The Little Prince, "When you've finished getting yourself ready in the morning, you must go get the planet ready."

'06 Ninja 650r
'93 Honda XR100
'93 Honda 250XR
'83 Kawasaki GPz 550
'71 Triumph Bonneville - Restored, but parts keep falling off!
'73 Honda 350cl that I intend to ride around Lake Huron when we get her running well

Go out for adventure. Come home for love.

sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #64
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
stunning

Your photo's are stunning.

I've done a few loops thru the Adirondacks and I must say,
New York road construction puts Vermont's to shame.
Much as my ass and my back hate to say it.

We stopped for lunch at the Dear Head Inn in E'town, on Elizabethtown Day of course!

Continued good fortune in your travels!
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #65
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 692
pitOrz - you nailed it, funny thing is if you asked me what road it was I would.t have a clue even though its also a favorite ride of mine

nhbill - thanks for stopping by, love to get together if your up in October, I'll pm you

V4 rider - Thanks for the comments and visit

serbchaser - east side of lake george you rode through some of my favorite routes. I envy you guys who live in an area with a longer riding season than the northeast

libera - have a blast with the ural thanks for dropping in

sas - you have great taste in books Thank You so much for the comments

seevtsaab - thanks, agreed on the vermont/Ny road construction

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 11:26 AM
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #66
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

The bike has been parked for a few days as we had torrential rain yesterday and today was spent doing things I'd been putting off for too
long.

Heavy thunderstorms are predicted for tonight and into the morning, however the afternoon looks promising as of now.
In the meantime I thought I'd go with a blast from the past.

Let me preface this first by saying I am not a fan of riding at night, I do my best to be off the road before dusk and the wild creatures
descend upon the roads. Of the times 3 stand out in my memory

The first was when I was 17, in the medieval days before before digital cameras, the second 2 fortunately for me came about just a few days apart
in early April 2009.

The first one I refer to as " The night of the Geese" and it was that day I got the luckiest picture of my life, but thats a tale for another time.

First comes this one - It was an exceptionally beautiful day for early April, the sky was and impossible shade of blue, with cotton candy clouds
and temperatures in the low 60's. I cut out from work around 2 and just rode letting the memories of a brutal winter fade pleasantly away.So engrossed in
the ride I never even stopped for a picture and before I knew it the shadows were lengthening and I suddenly awoke from my reverie and realized I should head home.

As I turned onto the lake road I came upon a sight so mesmerizing I pulled over pulled out my camera and sttod on the shore until I had filled up a 4
gig memory card. After the card was full I stayed there untill the light was gone wanting to sear it into my memory as I knew no picture could ever
fully convey the spectacle I had been witness too.

This, then was the night I refer to as the ......

Lake on Fire

This is kind of a crappy shot but I like it anyway, the black dot with the wake behind it is a muskrat and the memory of watching it swim through that gilded water is amazing

Thanks for looking, theres a few more pics here

http://prometheusrising.smugmug.com/...46055620_BkTcU

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 11:27 AM
Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #67
ChopHawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Stunning pictures Pro
ChopHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #68
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Awe struck! I think you should organize a group ride just to show us these beautiful places. I'll sign up first & I'm an early riser.

08 DL1000
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #69
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by seevtsaab
New York road construction puts Vermont's to shame.
We have two seasons in NY: Winter and Construction.
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #70
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 326
Just what more is there to say...

Promethus Rising -- rather than offer more well deserved accolades on your Ride Report and stunning photography, I offer this quote which to me sums up your efforts and results. Many of us fledgling photojournalists would do well to mentor how you view what has been created for us to appreciate.

I didn't want to tell the tree or weed what it was. I wanted it to tell me something and through me express its meaning in nature. ~Wynn Bullock
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #71
AK NIMROD
CHEECHAKO ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 43
new to forum, My 1st post newbie from Alaska, looking to buy v strom 650 , should hear in next day or two if guy accepts one of my two offers. $ or a Boat.
first Promethus Rising- wow what great pictures i forgot the beauty of that area.
my parents grew up in Saranac Lake. I spent a few summers there and 2 semesters @ Paul Smith's College . Quit during TET offensive in Viet Nam. went into the U.S.A.F. before draft got me.
thanx for sharing the pictures and details of your trips
Pat

AK NIMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #72
ghte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
PR the photos were delightful. Thank you for sharing them with us.
ghte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #73
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Sunday weather forecast was for clearing skies in the late morning, so with high hopes for a sunny day I set out around 5:30 under dark featureless skies.

First up a trip to the track to check out the early a.m. workouts, on some mornings the combination of sunrise and the dew burning off the grass creates surreal light, this morning however the light was flat and a bit foreboding so I made it a short stop

Next up was to just roll on some miles to test the new seat out and as the overcast sky would have washed out any scenic pics the cameras stayed in the back pack.. I went through a tank of gas and remained basically pretty darn comfortable, the seat is definetly a keeper. Is it the "Holy Grail" no, but for me it works well and I am pleased with the purchase, no need to take advantage of the 30 day return policy. For reference sake I am 6' 2" tall and weigh 190. The stock torture device is now just an unpleasant memory tucked away in a distant corner of my conciousness.
On day when the light is like it was even though scenics are a waste of time you can narrow your focus ( no pun intended ) and find some interesting things to look at. With this in mind I stopped by an over grown field with a fairly large pond situated at the bottom of a gentle slope. The skies actually lightened a bit as I trekked to the pond and the effect on the small details was similar to a soft light box

And in that meadow I discovered....

Brilliant Color

A Lone Sentinel

A Drooling Bird

And then as a light rain started and As I was started to leave,I experienced one of the most treasured things in life

Total Bliss

Thanks to all for stopping by

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 11:27 AM
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #74
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Chphawk - thanks for the comments
Dragonflylily, thanks for stopping by again, remeber I''m looking forward to seeing your pics
Thunderdogg, thanks so much, I googled Wynn Bullock and found his site, very cool, thanks for turning me on to him, love that quote

ghte thanks man

aknimrod, i'm homored you made this your first post, welcome to the asylum good luck with the Vstrom

prometheus rising screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 11:28 AM
Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #75
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,932
Lake on Fire is awesome!