User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
KLRfoto OP
n00b

Oddometer: 10
July 4th in the Sierra Nat. Forest

Over the long 4th of July weekend I got in some awesome riding. Most of it in the Sierra National Forest.

SPOT Track on Spotwalla
Map and Pics on SpotAdventures (Pics are placed by location on the map)

Click The Pics For Larger Versions

I left on early Friday, and rode the slab for a while and then headed east near Chowchilla, taking lonely back roads through the dry foothills. I found some easy dirt roads to get me over to North Fork where I stopped in to get some permits at the Bass Lake District Ranger Station for the Sierra National Forest in North Fork.

There I talked with one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I walked in the station door, where a couple of big ranger dudes were helping other people and she turns around and says, "How can I help you?" And I stood there stammering like the dipstick I am. I finally found my voice and told her what I wanted and asked my questions. And asked more questions. Then asked more questions. She answered everything completey, smiling and animated. By this time the other "campers" had left so it was just her talking with me staring and listening (and the rangers grinning behind her). I had run out of reasonable questions and the conversation was coming to an end. I must have had a look of disappointment on my face. One of the rangers, with a wink and big grin, asks, "Did you tell him about all the cool stops along the Scenic Byway?" "Oh, no, I didn't." she says, and launches in to ten minutes more. That grinning ranger has my heartfelt thanks.

I couldn't come up with a non-pervy way to get a photo of her, in the station or modeling with my KLR. Sorry. I should have done better. I'll just have to go back and try again soon - just for my fellow adventurers.

Anyway, back to the ride.

Headed up Beasore Rd (they pronounced it Bay Shore). My first stop was at Globe Rock - I'll let you figure out why they call it that.

Portuguese Overlook looking over Sierra Nat. Forest land

A random road I followed for a bit. The weather and temperature were perfect as I rode through this amazing forest

Jackass Meadows at 7K feet. Beautiful and moist. I rode a little into it - eventually turing back to avoid getting stuck. It was so quiet and serene

I rode to the upper reaches of the Sierra Nat Forest, bordering on the Ansel Adams Wilderness to visit Clover Meadows and Granite Creek. I got to ride some amazing dirt tracks here too. Sorry no pics.

The overflow at Mammoth Pool. There is so much water in the Sierras right now. Nearly all the lakes, rivers and streams are full or even overflowing. Many meadows are soaked through and creek crossings are more like river crossings.

I camped out for the first time in about 15 years. It was fun and I totaly enjoyed it. Stayed at Soda Springs campground instead of out in the wilderness for this first time. Just seemed like a good idea. This was a hosted state campground. The restroom was cleaner than the one in my home, with hand cleaner, air freshner, lined garbage can, etc. They're all that way, right?

One thing of note about my first in a long time camping, Mummy Bags Suck. I'd never used one before. Looks like I'll be replacing my brand new (cheap) mummy. Woke up constantly in a panic feeling trapped.

Redinger Lake Overlook 3320 feet

The exact center of California - located along Italian Bar Road (Rd 225)

Bridge and boats at Redinger Lake

Old Railroad Grade Road, looping up an throught the mountains heading for Huntington Lake. You can see the previously travelled portion of the road in the back ground. Never did see any sign of a railroad though.

Much of this canyon and many of the lakes in this area are used in California's extensive hydroelectric power system. You randomly come across facilities and pipes in the middle of nowhere.

I like the forest - cool and calm.

Lake Thomas A Edison. A small lake located on a tiny finger of Sierra National Forest land surrounded by the awesomness of the Ansel Adams & John Muir Wilderness esesss

Looking out southwestish at the John Muir Wilderness

The road I'm travelling, Kaiser Pass Road

Near Mono Hot Springs - poeple trying to kill themseleves via fast moving creek/river

Ansel Adams Wilderness - looking northwest this time

From here, I rode back into civilization at Shaver Lake where I spent Saturday evening and Sunday with relatives at their Shaver cabin. Enjoyed their company and ridiculous amounts of food and drink. My parents even joined the party. Shaver put on a great fireworks show, out over the pitch black lake with the explosions reverberating around the mountains! Pretty impressive.

I road back to the central valley Sunday evening, watching several fireworks displays as I exited the mountains and proceeded up the valley on superslabs. It was a warm pleasent evening to be riding.

Monday was a quick ride up to Greely Hill. A little dirt west of Yosemite. And then home.

Then it was over.

Thanks for reading.

2007 Black KLR 650
Some 1st and 3rd Gen Magnas too.

KLRfoto screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 05:20 PM
KLRfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 716
Sweet that's some beautiful country you got there

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
kdtrull
Alpha Nerd

Oddometer: 113
Lucky Scoundrel

That's an incredible area you've shown us.

Thanks bro.
kdtrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Double_Supercool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Dang, you guys have amazing scenery over there :)

-Philip Marlowe
Double_Supercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Gibbonboy
Just Plain Lost

Oddometer: 212
We used to start out from Shaver Lake, beautiful area! Never been there on a bike, would love to include it in a tour sometime. Thanks for the report!

The best way out is always through. -- Robert Frost

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. -- Walter Bagehot
Gibbonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Wow! What a great ride! Thanks for the report and pics. I gotta get my 2 wheeled ass out to Cali soon.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRfoto

I camped out for the first time in about 15 years. It was fun and I totaly enjoyed it.
Cheers, great report and awesome pics. I camp almost every weekend, can;t imagine going 15 years without it - glad you are back to seeing real stars and breathing real air again!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
KLRfoto OP
n00b

Thanks

I feel lucky to be very close to so much great riding and beautiful scenery.

I'm just starting to make the most of it all. Hope to keep getting better at the riding (and the reports)

2007 Black KLR 650
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,135
Great stuff. We spent a lot of time in those areas when we lived in Bakersfield. Did you take dip in Lake Huntington?
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,836

Great scenery
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
sleeping bag

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Pro.../Bag/filters/6

Might take a look at one of these. More room and still packs relatively small and light.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of heading up that way in September and this gives some good ideas.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
KLRfoto OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Pro.../Bag/filters/6
Might take a look at one of these. More room and still packs relatively small and light.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of heading up that way in September and this gives some good ideas.
Thanks for the suggestion and link. The reason I tried a mummy is because they all seemed to be lighter and smaller (and i got a +5 cheap). The Big Agnes rectangles seem close though.

It's beautiful there and you can definitely get more off then beaten path than I did for most of the trip. I was told there are some great OHVs way out by Edison and Florence lakes and Mono Hot Springs (didn't actually see them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
Great stuff. We spent a lot of time in those areas when we lived in Bakersfield. Did you take dip in Lake Huntington?
That lake is to cold for me! - Besides, I wasn't in need of a bath yet. I don't think.

2007 Black KLR 650
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRfoto
Thanks for the suggestion and link. The reason I tried a mummy is because they all seemed to be lighter and smaller (and i got a +5 cheap). The Big Agnes rectangles seem close though.

It's beautiful there and you can definitely get more off then beaten path than I did for most of the trip. I was told there are some great OHVs way out by Edison and Florence lakes and Mono Hot Springs (didn't actually see them).

That lake is to cold for me! - Besides, I wasn't in need of a bath yet. I don't think.

Yeah, I don't like mummy bags either so I go for the "squarer" ones and they must have a two way zipper so I can get my feet out if necessary. I find the extra 1lbs or so is well worth it.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote