User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Day 3

Hi Zarah! Hope all is well out there on the west coast.

And now onto Day 3. We had left off with spending the night in the Greenbrier state forest. This would be our last day travelling on the TWVT, since we wanted to be back home by the following evening. This meant that we could travel a little further down the TWVT, but would eventually have to start looping back north and east; otherwise we would have a very long day tomorrow to get home and would have to end up taking more pavement than I wanted.

Once again we were blessed with beautiful weather, and dad was starting to ride like a champ! He's going by so fast the pictures are now coming out blury!

More trail pictures:

The next to pictures show the first "loose & rocky" hill climb that we had come upon. Lucky for us, we had to go up the hill (I always find it easier to go up than down). The first picture is from about midway up looking down, and the second is looking up at the rest of the "hill". As always the pictures never really do it justice. I would rank this little climb as a 6/7 out of 10. Before trying it out, I walked it with my dad so he could try and pick out a good line. I then went up about half way and pulled off the trail. This way he could see where I went, and I could take a video of him! (videos will be posted later). Here are the pictures.

Dad got up without any trouble and we continued on our way!

Oh yeah, more nice trail.

At this point we had reached our turn around point, and started to head back north and east. I had no route planed for this return route and just made it up as I went, trying to look ahead on the GPS while riding and picking out roads that looked like they could be fun and gravel! This brought forth some unexpected surprises!

One of my favorite shots from the trip:

Shortly after this last picture, we stopped along the side of the road at an intersection to decide on which road to take. While we were there mulling it over, a lady in a Subaru pulled over to see if she could help us with directions. After explaining to her that we were not lost, just trying to decide which route would be more exciting, she offered us a "route" that she usually takes when horseback riding. She cautioned us that it was very much "off the beaten path"! Perfect I thought! Aside from being a little hard to actually see the road/trail at times, and having to ride over a fence line to eventually get back on the real road, it was a blast!

The end of the actual (maintained) road, and the start of the trail.

Now it's getting interesting.

Ummmm.....I think this is correct!?

Ahhhh.....large open hay fields!

A great little detour, with just the right amount of excitement!

Back on the road towards home, we find some nice twisty pavement.

And more gravel too!

The I route us down this road that eventually becomes a completely washed out rock gulley! With a wonderful dip down and berm to climb back up at the bottom of it! This is where we seperate the men from the boys! I have only 1 picture from this spot, but I do have a video that will be up later!

Dad once again surprised me and made it down and over like an expert.

Back to more reasonable roads.

Next we wound up riding along a ridge line and among a lot of power generating wind turbine thingies!

We eventually wound our way to Sherwood lake rec area, near the VA/West VA border. Here was our camp for the night.

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get a picture of the GPS stats for the day.

Final day and videos still to come!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Denis

Nice
glad I stumbled on this RR
Good to see you and your dad trippin together
good move getting another DRZ
you still planning on hitting Alaska with your dad

7cells
Blue motorcycles are better & faster than Yellow ones

you guys take care and enjoy your rides together
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Day 4

Heya Keith!

Shhhhhhhh....don't tell him that! And yes, as of right now, I'm still thinking Alaska for 2011, but whether or not dad will join me is all up to him. Might be kinda cool to see a moded Ninja and a Harley travellin' together!

How 'bout you, any more trips with Justin or the other boys? Say hi to the family for me!

And now onto Day 4, and the return home.

I know I've said this three times already, but we were truelly blessed with great weather for this trip! I guess the little good weather dance that I did before leaving worked!

As we were eating our oatmeal breakfast we had a visitor come by, hoping that we'd share our meal with her.

Pictures from the lake where we camped out for the night.

First little town we come to as we cross back into Virginia, Mountain Grove. Time to stop for another cup of coffee and to top off the gas tanks.

This little lady was very protective of the nectar and wouldn't let any other humming birds come to feed.

Back on the road.

And finding some interesting route through the George Washington national forest that will wind us back to Harrisonburg.

Shortly after the last picture, once we crested that hill, we came upon a black bear in the middle of the trail/road. As soon as we came into view he ran off into the woods, but only about 30 feet or so and then stopped, as we stopped. I tried to pull out my camera and take a picture, but he eventually ran off before I could take a picture!

Oh well, back to riding!

What I presume was once a flowing spring.

For most of the morning we were back in VA, but we eventually crossed back into West VA before heading to Harrisonburg; we were so close that I figured I'd take my dad up to Reddish knob. From here I was back in familiar territory and I knew some perfect trails that would lead down and out of the mountains and back to Harrisonburg where we'd have to pick up pavement to get home.

Here we are on top of Reddish Knob.

From here we went up to Flagpole.

And then down Dunkle Hollow, throught Skidmore Fork and back onto rt 33.

There was one spot going down Dunkle Hollow that almost got me and my dad. As we were going down the mountain, the trail got progessively nicer and easier and lulled you into a false sense of confidence. As it always happens in situations like this, coming around a 90 degree turn the trail suddenly became fully washed out with a big rock gully in the middle. There was a small patch of ground about 2' wide on the far right side that was easily ride-able with a little 1 or 2 foot drop off at the bottom. This was the route that I took, and once down this little tricky section, I parked the bike and started running back up to warn my dad. I of course had grabbed my camera! Well, to make a long story short, I was too slow and he was too fast, and he ended up coming down the middle of the rock gulley, but maneuvered it expertly!

Here it is!

Uh oh! Where do I go now!?

Alright, well I'm in the thick of it! Better just power through!

Yes!!!! I made it through!

The rest of the way down was a breeze in comparison.

I knew that there was a nice creek to cross at the bottom, but when we came to it, it was just about dried up!

Final shot in the Skidmore fork area, before hopping back onto rt 33.

Goodbye national forest! Thanks for the memories!

Stats for the final run home.

All in all this was a great trip, albeit a little short. We both had a lot of fun, and my dad came away with a greater appreciation for a different style of riding, not to mention that he greatly improved his off-road riding skills; some of the stuff that we encountered on day 3 and 4 he might not have been able to handle on day 1! As I told him, he is now ready to tackle the TAT!

Well, as Porky Pig would say "Tha, tha, that's all folks!"
Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
Good stuff...I have never been to skidmore/dunkle looks cool...you haven't hard wired that GPS yet?
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #21
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
Good stuff...I have never been to skidmore/dunkle looks cool...you haven't hard wired that GPS yet?
Thanks Michhub, and yes, you should check out skidmore/dunkle hollow, it's a fun time. Nothing too serious so you get to enjoy the ride instead of constantly being focused on which line to take.
And yes, I've hard wired the GPS to the bike; it's just that at the end of the day when taking the STAT picture, I usually like to work comfortably at the picnic table and therefor have to remove the GPS from the bike!

Also, almost forgot to post up the videos that I took. Here they are:

Video 1 - The little hill climb from day 3.

From Video

Video 2 - Once again from day 3, the nasty down hill in the rocks with the bumb at the bottom!

From Video

And the 3rd and final video, taken on day 4, dad crossing one of the dried up creeks in the skidmore/dunkle hollow area.

From Video
Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #22
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider

and my dad came away with a greater appreciation for a different style of riding, not to mention that he greatly improved his off-road riding skills; As I told him, he is now ready to tackle the TAT!

NICE JOB 7cells

airborndad screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 04:48 PM
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #23
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Oh man, this was awesome! It's great to see Dad's and son's out enjoying some riding together. My little dude just turned 16...months, that is. I can't wait until he's old enough to spend a summer touring around America with his old man.

Thanks for a great trip report. Really enjoyed the photos of Seneca Rocks. Had no idea ya'll had such dramatic scenery back there. Gonna have to check it out one of these days.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Hey Denis, Looks like you and Pop had a great time. I can tell by the expressions on his face that Dad was really into it and loving it at the same time. Good RR. Also it was nice seeing you the other day, maybe next time you can swing by the house. (The Ninja looked really good too!)

Bob
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #25
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Equipment you packed?

Great report and especially since it involves your father.

I think it would be great to see a picture/list of the items you took on this 4 day trip. Helps those of us who would like to do this in the future to know what to take.

Thanks again for a wonderful report.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #26
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Great report

Great ride report. I'm trying to arrange some similar trips, except in my case the roles are reversed. The old man (me) is the experienced rider and the 43 year old son is a novice. We will start with some easy rides.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Thanks for a great RR!! West Virginia has some beautiful riding, and it looks like you and your dad found a bunch of it!
A great father and son trip.
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #28
Mtngoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Thumb

Well done. This will be something you both will remember FOREVER!

2004 WeeStrom
2003 Yamaha FJR "Road Toad"
1988 K75C Left me for another woman...the bitch.
Mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #29
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretedge
Oh man, this was awesome! It's great to see Dad's and son's out enjoying some riding together. My little dude just turned 16...months, that is. I can't wait until he's old enough to spend a summer touring around America with his old man.

Thanks for a great trip report. Really enjoyed the photos of Seneca Rocks. Had no idea ya'll had such dramatic scenery back there. Gonna have to check it out one of these days.
Thank you sir. And yes, we are blessed with some cool scenery out here on the east coast as well. Of course, I don't have to tell you, but the Moab area is simply amazing! Had a blast out there last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22
Hey Denis, Looks like you and Pop had a great time. I can tell by the expressions on his face that Dad was really into it and loving it at the same time. Good RR. Also it was nice seeing you the other day, maybe next time you can swing by the house. (The Ninja looked really good too!)

Bob
Heya Bob, likewise it was good to catch up with you. And I'll try to have more time next time I come up so I can swing by the house and say hi to Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia
Great report and especially since it involves your father.

I think it would be great to see a picture/list of the items you took on this 4 day trip. Helps those of us who would like to do this in the future to know what to take.

Thanks again for a wonderful report.
Ask and ye shall receive. I'll post this up promptly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
Great ride report. I'm trying to arrange some similar trips, except in my case the roles are reversed. The old man (me) is the experienced rider and the 43 year old son is a novice. We will start with some easy rides.

Sweet! Of course start out easy, but throw in some appropriate challenges here and there. And always have your camera ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDave
Thanks for a great RR!! West Virginia has some beautiful riding, and it looks like you and your dad found a bunch of it!
A great father and son trip.
Thank you sir. Yes West VA has some beautiful spots, and I'm give all the credit for all the cool stuff we saw to Igofar for putting together the TWVT.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #30
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Equipment list

Since Liberia asked, I'll do my best to remember what I actually packed with me for this trip. Since I've spent quite a bit of time travelling on motorcycles now, I don't really worry too much any more about making sure I've packed everything I need. No matter how hard you try, I find that you always end up forgeting something or another, but it doesn't really matter, 'cause it's rarely that hard to pick up whatever you forgot along the way. Of course the one exception to this may be if you're going to travel abroad. Anyways here goes.

Clothes-

2 pairs of underwears, 2 pairs of socks, 2 spare tshirts, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 long sleeve flannel shirt. One of my pairs of shorts had the ability to add on some pant legs with zippers. The important thing about clothing is know what kind of weather you need to be ready for and pack accordinly, trying to pack as little as possible. Clothes can add up fast and take up a lot of room. If I were gone for 1 month, I don't think that I would add much more to this list, except maybe some thermals and a fleece if I were going to possibly experience really cold temps. I found that doing your laundy in the sink is really easy and not very time consuming, and that clothes will usually fully dry overnight.

Motorcycle clothes-

Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armour built in, Tourmaster pants with protection, and some gloves from Home Depot, and another heavier set of gauntlet gloves in case it got cold or rainy. Helmet was my new Arai XD3, and boots are TCX Infinity. Rain gear, two piece jacket and pants; they're actually my Harley rain gear, yeah I probably look funny wearing Harley rain gear when riding on the DRZ but I'm not going to go out and buy another set of rain gear when this one work fine.

Toiletries-

Toilet paper!!! ( I forgot to pack this had to stop at a gas station and "aquire" some! luckily I always pack a spare ziploc bag) Toothpaste & tooth brush, nail clippers, hair brush, a small (tiny) towel (also used this to clean the visor on my helmet often), and some multi purpose camping soap.

Deoderant..........I don't really care if I smell. Shampoo, a luxury, but nice if you're going to be on the road for an extended period of time.

Cookware/Food-

Stove was a JetBoil; I have the adapter for it that allows you to use it like a regular stove and put any pot on it, however for this trip I didn't need it. 1 small/medium size pot, 1 cup, 1 plate, and 1 spork. Ended up never using the pot for this trip, but that was due to the food that we packed. For this trip, I decided to use freeze dried dinners. Very quick, easy, and dirty no dishes other than maybe a utensil and a plate. They're also nice because they're made to feed 2 people. Also they pack up easy and have no weight to them. For breakfast I do oatmeal; once again, quick, easy, and efficient. For lunch, I rarely have a true lunch; instead I simply snack through out the day on beef jerky, trail mix, granola bars, crackers, and fruit that I'll pick up along the way (apples and oranges hold up the best in a tank bag in my opinion). However from time to time, if I happen to go through a little town at lunch time, I'm not opposed to stopping and sampling one of the local eateries.

Sleeping accomodations-

1 Tent, I had a cheap dome tent for this trip, but it worked out just fine; the one thing that I will say about tents is this. Personally I prefer to use a 2 man tent for myself. They're not that much bigger or heavier than a single person tent, and give you more room inside so that you can bring your gear in the tent with you. I like this for two reasons: 1) my stuff is with me when I sleep and I'm less concerned about someone coming by and stripping stuff off of my bike, and 2) if and when it rains, both myself and my gear are dry and I'm not cramped in a tiny little tent, but have a little more room to move about! 1 sleeping bag, and a termarest ground pad. I use my seat pads (an Alaska leathers sheep skin and a Stearns ATV seat cover) along with some clothes (usually my rain gear) to make a pillow.

The one thing I'm looking to add to my pack is a simple rain fly. This would allow me to create a covered area under which I can either park the bike or set up my kitchen; cooking inside your tent is not recomended!

Tools-

I brought pretty much only what was needed to fix a flat and a few extra. 1 pair of vice grips, 1 6" crescent wrench, 3 tire irons (2 of which are spoon types), a small tube patch kit, a spare front & rear tube, a small Slime air compressor, and a multi tool with: flat head and phillips screwdriver, multiple sizes of allen wrenches (hex head), and 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm sockets. I'm pretty sure my multi tool is the Cruz Tool Outbackr'. Check them out, they're really cool and compact. My dad also had some zip ties with him, and I also usually carry a little bit of bailing wire with me.

Luggage-

Wolfman tank bag (the Explorer lite for me, my dad got the Enduro), Dirt bagz saddle bags (Ranger). And a rack on the back to strap down the tent, sleeping bag, and ground pad.

Personal items-

GPS (Garmin 60CSX)
Spot Tracker (a personal locator beacon type of thing)
Lighters (2), pocket knife, MP3 player with earbuds (mine crapped out on this trip; I can't complain though, it's a cheap one and it lasted me for the entire TAT last year and then some), lens cleaner for glasses and helmet visors, camel back, Sweet cheeks (for the seat and 4 liters of water carrying capacity), sandals, Jim Beam & Coca-Cola (it's a multi purpose item! ), camera, netbook PC (not necessary, but I wanted to be able to download my pics every day, record our GPS tracks, etc.... Besides, I'm used to travelling with mine now), a West Virginia Gazeteer map book for backup, spare batteries for the various electronic items, a VERY basic first aid kit (once again it's very easy to go overboad with this and end up having it take up a lot of room. After all, if I end up in a truely bad situation, that is what the Spot Tracker is for), cell phone, cell phone charger (I have a 12v outlet on my bike), and I think that's about it! If I remember anything else, I'll post it up.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing that I can stress, is GO LIGHT!!! You'll be surprised at how easily you can get by on less, and how much more enjoyable (not to mention easy) the riding will be if your bike is not loaded down! Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way! Other than that, just get on the bike, go, and enjoy! It's that easy!