Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #136
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
dude that's perfect!!!!!!! first thing I'm doing when I get home is change the fuel petcock!!!!! I was cold and wet the other day and had to do the whole on your knees bend over flip the switch thing!!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #137
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
dude that's perfect!!!!!!! first thing I'm doing when I get home is change the fuel petcock!!!!! I was cold and wet the other day and had to do the whole on your knees bend over flip the switch thing!!
When it's something that you're doing everyday, it gets annoying real quick (is I'm sure you've noticed)! Only $20 but one of the best mods so far

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #138
bricaud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post

Just Noticed the shirt - GO COUGS!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #139
Curtis76
Coug Fan

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricaud View Post
Yeah, Baby... Go COUGS!

Nice shirt and nice F8!!

`10 F800GS

If your circle stays unbroken... then you're a lucky man. - Ronnie James
Curtis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #140
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis76 View Post
Yeah, Baby... Go COUGS!

Nice shirt and nice F8!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricaud View Post
Sorry to disappoint but I'm not a fan, I just picked up the shirt in a clearance bin at Cabela's ...3 pack for $10

Back to the bike!

The bike and I went for a dirt nap the other day. I managed to land with the beak resting on a beam. The weight of the front of the bike was on the beak and as a result the triangle mounting bits on the TT tank both snapped. The plastic used here is very stiff unlike the tank itself. I expect the rigid material is used here as the windscreen (partially) mounts to it so they didn't want vibrations. Just a guess though.

They both cracked up the sides and also broke at the mounting location at the tank:

I had been riding with no screen at the time and realized that no screen is actually more comfortable than any of the 5(!) aftermarket wind shields I have tried. It was at this point that the hamster wheel in my head started turning.

I absolutely love what ChiTown did with his bike. I think it's the sexiest F800 around, well maybe with the except of the Twalcom unit.

This project may end up being a shameless Chi knock off but if you can't beat'em, join'em

A KTM fender from UFO Plastics ($30), already orange and black, no need to paint anything:

Fabbed up an adaptor plate to mount the fender to the triple clamp:

Originally I was going to try to incorporate a 3rd mounting point and use the boss that's there for the horn mount (why so beefy for a horn?) but with 2 points the bracket and fender are plenty strong:

The KTM mounting "hats":

Cut up the low fender and made the fork guards. Simply drilled a hole and zip tied the brake hose on to keep it away from the tire. Something cleaner and more permanent will replace it this winter:

I was a bit concerned that the MX style fender wouldn't keep the mud out of the rad but it seems to be doing a decent job. The goo hits the black trim but no higher. I may attach a very small rubber extension anyway.

Not a great pic but all have at the moment:

I went for a short test ride and all worked very well. Several drops and slow speed dumps and everything held up. I was very happy with the RM1 stabilizer. I was hammering through ruts and small erosion cracks way faster and with more control than I ever have been able to before. Money well spent!

Not sure about lighting yet. I do really like the 8" Trail Tech HID that Finn has but I'm not sure about a single beam HID as the only light.

A few things I've been thinking about:

-Trail Tech 8in HID and 2 small (1.5-2") aux lights that are hooked to the BMW switch. I could use them as everyday lights around town and use the HID when offroad.

-Baja Designs "Fuego"

-Trail Tech X2

With the Fuego and X2, I could run one standard light and one HID. The X2 would give me a mini wind screen as well.

Decisions~

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #141
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

damn I want my bike back!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #142
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

anything thing new?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #143
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
I feel like I`m falling......well...at least leaning towards making a fender and ditching the beak.....rather than improving/extending it. This along with Finn`s look awesome..... Good job......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #144
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
I love the Trailtech X2, but I can't figure out where you could mount the instrument cluster. If that issue were solved, that's probably the light I'd get. Unless I figure something else out though, it'll probably be the 8" racelight. If you get that one, maybe you'll see something I haven't.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #145
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
anything thing new?
Not much other than going on a weight cutting mission. Bought a Giant Loop so I ditched the Pelicans and racks as well as the TT tool box that attaches to the skid plate, right rotor and caliper, some factory plastic etc. Total savings: Just over 50lbs. Pared down the amount of gear I'm carrying too. I should be about 65lbs lighter over all.

Other than that not much with the bike other than actually riding it which is a nice change. Normally too busy with work but have got a out a ton this year.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #146
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
65 pounds is huge!
Should handle noticeably better with that change too.

Looks like you're having fun and making the best of your time at home.
Yup 65lbs is a lot for sure. Realized that I was carrying way too many tools and spare bits and pieces. Made some changes to my camping kit too. Feels like a new bike!

I noticed in your recent pics that you have a Montana. How do you like it compared to the Zumo?

I was talking to a Garmin dealer a few days ago and they are releasing the Zumo 700 soon. Sounds like it will be a solid unit for sure. 5"x5" screen, all Garmin maps (worldwide) INCLUDED, ability to download maps via Google earth imagines if no maps available. Sounded interesting. MSRP approx $900.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #147
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
I was talking to a Garmin dealer a few days ago and they are releasing the Zumo 700 soon. Sounds like it will be a solid unit for sure. 5"x5" screen, all Garmin maps (worldwide) INCLUDED, ability to download maps via Google earth imagines if no maps available. Sounded interesting. MSRP approx $900.
Sounded interesting right up until the price.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #148
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Sounded interesting right up until the price.
Yeah expensive but when you include all the mapping it is more reasonable. If you're doing a RTW trip or Alaska to Argentina trip you have 3, 4 (or more) maps to buy @$100 or so per (if you don't get pirated copies for free). Adds up quick!
Updates are included too apparently.

Could all change by the time it's released

Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #149
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
I noticed you mentioned the bar clamp bolts and anti seize.

What I've done for a long time is anti seize the holes, and put blue thread lock on the bolts. Every bolt on the bike that I've removed gets this treatment. (That's pretty much every single one on the DR and XR)

On the 2 x DR650, XR650R, and my F800 I haven't lost a single bolt since doing this. They come out relatively easy, and I haven't broken/stripped/rounded out a bolt since using the combo.

The thread lock compound still goes hard in the threads, and provides it's normal resistance to removal, but you don't get them seizing up like they sometimes do if a bit of moisture has gotten in there somehow.

Just a thought.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #150
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Right now we are planning on riding Baja then taking the ferry back to the main land. If that doesn't change I expect we'll be crossing at Tijuana. I see you're in NM, would you suggest a different crossing?
Great looking bike! I just left Calgary after 15yrs...

I go to Baja every winter and unless you have business in TJ or are in a mad rush I cross at Tecate. The ride to Tecate from SD and then to Ensenada is nice twisty mountain roads. Last winter they had the roads ripped up between Tecate and Ensenada - it felt like a SCORE rally in my 4x4...would have been more fun on a DS bike.

In fact I'd recommend you skip Ensenada as well and head east to San Felipe. You can then cut south-west back to Mex 1 down in the desert and skip all the hassles of the more populated [ie. traffic congestion] northern bit of Mex 1 and you get to ride some dirt roads.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!

VikB screwed with this post 09-28-2011 at 07:46 AM
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote