Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hahahaha...
cadaVre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #212
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Fantastic thread! I am just delving into F8-land and you have given me lots to ponder. Thanks for that!
Since it seems like you have tried and thoroughly tested many mods... so if I could pick your brain a bit:

- what have you done about the temperamental throttle control (if anything?)
- was adding the steering dampener worth it? (especially in sand)
- where / how do you keep your tools? (was considering behind the pannier, but if the camel tank goes there...)
- how did the 2" lower foot pegs work out? (any clearance issues, or kickstand conflicts?)

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland

alison's wanderland screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 05:11 PM
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #213
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison's wanderland View Post
Fantastic thread! I am just delving into F8-land and you have given me lots to ponder. Thanks for that!
Since it seems like you have tried and thoroughly tested many mods... so if I could pick your brain a bit:

- where / how do you keep your tools? (was considering behind the pannier, but if the camel tank goes there...)
My .02

Get the HTC Throttle Controller to fix the anarchy throttle

Steering damper is good for sandy off road and other head shake scenarios.

Tools in a tool tube or a rear box on the back.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #214
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:

- how did the 2" lower foot pegs work out? (any clearance issues, or kickstand conflicts?)
I had one of the plug in modules that fools the bike into thinking it colder than it is. It seemed to work well enough for a season but slowly lost it's effectiveness and ended up being just as choppy as stock. I never replaced it. I've got enough seat time on the bike that I've just learnt to work with it.

I'm happy with the damper purchase. I do a lot of off road, actual off road not just back roads, and I find it really helps keep you tracking straight in the rocks, ruts and roots. It definitely helps in the sand too. Worth the $$ in my opinion.

Tool kit location changes depending on the ride. If it's a long ride they go in the bottom of my panniers and if it's a pannier ride they usually end up in a small zippered canvas bag on the tail rack.

The 2" lowered pegs were great for road riding. My knees were very happy with the purchase. They didn't stay installed long though. 2" lower pegs means 2" lowered levers. I kept bashing the levers when off road. I cranked the shifter on 2 occasions hard enough to tweak the shift shaft and lock the bike in 1st gear. The pegs came off shortly after.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #215
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
I had one of the plug in modules that fools the bike into thinking it colder than it is. It seemed to work well enough for a season but slowly lost it's effectiveness and ended up being just as choppy as stock. I never replaced it. I've got enough seat time on the bike that I've just learnt to work with it.

I'm happy with the damper purchase. I do a lot of off road, actual off road not just back roads, and I find it really helps keep you tracking straight in the rocks, ruts and roots. It definitely helps in the sand too. Worth the $$ in my opinion.

The 2" lowered pegs were great for road riding. My knees were very happy with the purchase. They didn't stay installed long though. 2" lower pegs means 2" lowered levers. I kept bashing the levers when off road. I cranked the shifter on 2 occasions hard enough to tweak the shift shaft and lock the bike in 1st gear. The pegs came off shortly after.
Do you think that upgraded suspension and the steering damper help (indirectly) with the throttle control? Meaning absorbs some of the road fluctuations which cause occasional twitchyness?

I find myself off road (which happens to be washed out backroads - the rains do a number here in Panama) a bit but am used to bikes with more low end torque. Have you changed the count on the sprockets at all?

Good to note on the levers. Did you try other pegs after that? (I have a bit of an inseam problem.) Say, would lowering only 1" still allow you to keep the original lever location?

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #216
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
I ran the HTC Throttle Controller for 2+ years. Never changed or reduced effectiveness. Sounds like you had a bunk unit from whatever mfg made it.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #217
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Do you think that upgraded suspension and the steering damper help (indirectly) with the throttle control? Meaning absorbs some of the road fluctuations which cause occasional twitchyness?

I find myself off road (which happens to be washed out backroads - the rains do a number here in Panama) a bit but am used to bikes with more low end torque. Have you changed the count on the sprockets at all?

Good to note on the levers. Did you try other pegs after that? (I have a bit of an inseam problem.) Say, would lowering only 1" still allow you to keep the original lever location?

No question that upgraded suspension helps maintain throttle control, especially at low rpm. All those off road impacts seemed to go directly to my throttle hand. A G-2 throttle tamer was a big help. http://www.g2ergo.com/http://www.dir...le-tamer-tube/. The bad part is they don't have a dedicated channel for the grip warmer wiring.

The temp spoofers, such as the Accelerator module or Booster plug helps, as it richens up the fuel mixture in open loop riding.

There is evidence the above temp spoofers only work until the ECU "learns" to over ride them. There are several dedicated threads on the issue, most dealing with the AF-Xied. That's an oxygen sensor spoofer that richens the mixture first in closed loop and later adapts to open loop. I own one and recommend it. They definitely work and you control the richness of the mixture. The first thing you will notice is how much improvement there is to low rpm power (5,000 rpm and below.) I have owned both types, in fact both are still on the bike.

If you upgrade the suspension it lessons the need for a steering damper. None the less I have one. A big help in sand if you get a little inattentive or can't maintain enough speed to "plane" the tires. Keeps the front end from getting knocked around in rocks and ruts. I just like the steering feel to it. The bike feels settled on pavement too.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 11:04 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #218
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:

I snapped the pin that links the damper to the steering head so acted like there was no damper, I didn't like the feeling. I'm sure I'd get used to it but it definitely felt like I was getting tossed around more in the rough stuff.

I was running a 15t front instead of a 16t but also switched to a 140/80-17 which is taller than stock so it'd be close to a wash I'm guessing. Again, for me, it's just been seat time. Lots of things about the bike that used to drive me crazy don't bother me anymore, just got used to them.

I'm pretty picky about my lever locations. I cut up both levers to get the length exactly were I wanted them and modified the brake lever so it's adjustable height. An inch lower pegs with standard height levers would annoy me I'm sure. Personal taste though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I ran the HTC Throttle Controller for 2+ years. Never changed or reduced effectiveness. Sounds like you had a bunk unit from whatever mfg made it.
I emailed the manufacturer and got the specs and test procedure so I could check it with the multimeter, everything was in spec

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #219
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
No question that upgraded suspension helps maintain throttle control, especially at low rpm. All those off road impacts seemed to go directly to my throttle hand. A G-2 throttle tamer was a big help. http://www.g2ergo.com/http://www.dir...le-tamer-tube/. The bad part is they don't have a dedicated channel for the grip warmer wiring.

The temp spoofers, such as the Accelerator module or Booster plug helps, as it richens up the fuel mixture in open loop riding.

There is evidence the above temp spoofers only work until the ECU "learns" to over ride them. There are several dedicated threads on the issue, most dealing with the AF-Xied. That's an oxygen sensor spoofer that richens the mixture first in closed loop and later adapts to open loop. I own one and recommend it. They definitely work and you control the richness of the mixture. The first thing you will notice is how much improvement there is to low rpm power (5,000 rpm and below.) I have owned both types, in fact both are still on the bike.
Thanks for that. I will look into AF-Xied and the other threads here. Leaning more toward messing with fuel mixture rather than throttle controls. But suspension and other upgrades take priority. Who knows, I might just learn to live with its quirks.

Quote:
I snapped the pin that links the damper to the steering head so acted like there was no damper, I didn't like the feeling. I'm sure I'd get used to it but it definitely felt like I was getting tossed around more in the rough stuff.

I was running a 15t front instead of a 16t but also switched to a 140/80-17 which is taller than stock so it'd be close to a wash I'm guessing. Again, for me, it's just been seat time. Lots of things about the bike that used to drive me crazy don't bother me anymore, just got used to them.

I'm pretty picky about my lever locations. I cut up both levers to get the length exactly were I wanted them and modified the brake lever so it's adjustable height. An inch lower pegs with standard height levers would annoy me I'm sure. Personal taste though.
Um... so... what haven't you broke (aftermarket part wise) on your bike? After reading this thread (15 pages over the course of 4 years?), it sounds like not much of it is still on your bike. I'm just curious what has lasted? (and passed the vigorous tests you put your bike through?)

Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #220
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Um... so... what haven't you broke (aftermarket part wise) on your bike? After reading this thread (15 pages over the course of 4 years?), it sounds like not much of it is still on your bike. I'm just curious what has lasted? (and passed the vigorous tests you put your bike through?)
Actually, I've broken very little on the bike in 80,000km. Stock chain broke within a few thousand km as did the stock battery, replaced a grip heater. Everything else has been regular wear items. I did the timing chain but the issue was actually a broken plastic chain guide once I got in to it. However, I should note as I'm typing this, I'm stuck in backwoods Arizona with a fuel system issue.

Lots of add ons, lots of upgrades, most aren't required, I just have a mentally illness that requires me to modify things

Cory

Camel ADV screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 06:42 AM
Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #221
MarinerMonty
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wheels question

First off. Great looking bike, and skills to tear down. Although they are old post, I have enjoyed reading about your bike build.

Once you cut the Hub out of the wheels, you sent that off to Woody's ?
did you ship to Aussy?

Great acomplishment, beeing slected as a GS trophy team member. I have been follwing the past years videos on you tube.

GO CANADA GO

All the Best,
Monty

Windsor, Nova Scotia
MarinerMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #222
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerMonty View Post
First off. Great looking bike, and skills to tear down. Although they are old post, I have enjoyed reading about your bike build.

Once you cut the Hub out of the wheels, you sent that off to Woody's ?
did you ship to Aussy?

Great acomplishment, beeing slected as a GS trophy team member. I have been follwing the past years videos on you tube.

GO CANADA GO

All the Best,
Monty

Windsor, Nova Scotia
Yeah I just sent the hub to Woody's rather than the whole thing.

Did I ship to Aussy... not sure what you mean.

The GS Trophy should be a riot! We have a good team and it'll be a lot of fun