Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #31
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
oh come on, those rims deserve proper knobbies!
I have a fresh (now discontinued in 17") Michelin Desert for the rear and a Pirelli MT21 for the front. A friend and I are headed to South America this winter so it's Anakees until I get there and then the knobbies at some point south.

However, the Rocky Mountain GS Challenge is next weekend so if I get the bike back together next week then I'll install the off-road tires.

But yes, I agree, road tires on these rims is sacrilege!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 11:05 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #32
adv_rider
Out riding not posting...

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
I have a fresh (now discontinued in 17") Michelin Desert for the rear and a Pirelli MT21 for the front. A friend and I are headed to South America this winter so it's Anakees until I get there and then the knobbies at some point south.

However, the Rocky Mountain GS Challenge is next weekend so if I get the bike back together next week then I'll install the off-road tires.

But yes, I agree, road tires on these rims is sacrilege!

Just a thought on knobbies - Have a look at the Mefo Stonemaster in a 140/80-17. I just ran them to Cape York in Aus which included Sand, Corrugations and bad roads for 3000 km then another 2000 km tar to get home. The rear is only just over 50 % worn. They are also really agressive and traction was never an issue. They did however feel twitchy and terrible for about 500 km.

Oh yeah and no punctures to speak of.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
adv_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_rider
Just a thought on knobbies - Have a look at the Mefo Stonemaster in a 140/80-17. I just ran them to Cape York in Aus which included Sand, Corrugations and bad roads for 3000 km then another 2000 km tar to get home. The rear is only just over 50 % worn. They are also really agressive and traction was never an issue. They did however feel twitchy and terrible for about 500 km.

Oh yeah and no punctures to speak of.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
I like the look of that tire! I did a quick search for Mefo dealers in Canada and it appears that only the 130/80-17 is available in the Stone Master here. Hopefully I can track down another dealer or 2.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #34
adv_rider

Quote:
I like the look of that tire! I did a quick search for Mefo dealers in Canada and it appears that only the 130/80-17 is available in the Stone Master here. Hopefully I can track down another dealer or 2.
Mate i couldnt speak more highly of them. The other bikes on the trip had D606 and Karoo Travellers. The 606 was as good as toasted at the end of the trip i would think the rear on mine has another 3000 km easy. Front still looks new.

Apparently the sidewalls are really strong as well which i guess i have to take the word on.

Cheers

Paul
Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #35
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Paul....

.... how did the Karoo Travellers fare on your trip?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #36
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
This from the Leo Vince site:
"LeoVince uses the industry's best ceramic composite based packing and typically does not need to be replaced very often, unless exposed to unusual wear conditions. For those rare cases, re-packing material kits are available from LeoVince."

I have no idea what the timeline of "typically does not need to be replaced very often" is exactly but from what I've read and hear from ppl using the LV it is wears very well.
My Leo Vince SBK exhaust lasted about 10.000km on my 1100GS before it needed to be repacked. There are enough "weasel words" in their statement that it can be read always as true - half way thru a riding season isn't "rare" nor "does not need to be replaced very often" - but perhaps to some people it is.

I have a rebuild kit sitting on the bench ($15 kit from the local dirt bike store) so we'll see how that goes!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #37
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk
My Leo Vince SBK exhaust lasted about 10.000km on my 1100GS before it needed to be repacked. There are enough "weasel words" in their statement that it can be read always as true - half way thru a riding season isn't "rare" nor "does not need to be replaced very often" - but perhaps to some people it is.

I have a rebuild kit sitting on the bench ($15 kit from the local dirt bike store) so we'll see how that goes!

That's not encouraging! Having to repack 3 times on a 30,000km trip is a huge pain in the ass!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #38
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
That's not encouraging! Having to repack 3 times on a 30,000km trip is a huge pain in the ass!
I'm am not sure if the bike kicked 100% of the stuffing out, but it is certainly louder now than it was back in the spring. The wife tells me I am approaching pirate loud when I take off in a hurry. Just plain riding is still certainly acceptable.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #39
adv_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemezMtns
.... how did the Karoo Travellers fare on your trip?
While the karoos seemed like a good tyre i am unable to report because when the going got tough the guy turned round and went home. Mind you that still would have been about 4000 km so i will ring and find out.

Cheers

Paul
Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #40
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,320
... SUBSCRIBED ...

Just brought my 2010 F8GS home on Saturday, 600 miles on in two days, yeah I LIKE IT.

Your mods make me a little bit horny - can I wait until I wear shit out before I replace it all? Doubtful.
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #41
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
Subscribed.

Even though I don't have an F800, your mods seem interesting and invasive enough to be worth a read, thanx for all the info and the time you've put into this.

Your blog is also worth visiting!
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #42
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Been in a holding pattern for a bit, waiting for parts to arrive. I was waiting on rims, they came in but the aluminum "seal bushings" that wheel seal ride on hadn't come in yet from the dealer. Was waiting on forks, they came in yesterday and I attempted get the guts swapped over to the original forks tubes last night but the seals I bought were wrong. eBay ad said "These oil seals fit ALL Marzocchi 45mm forks..." ....nope, they sure don't So I went to the dealer today to get some over priced BMW seals...$43 each for the oil seals and another $43 each for the dust seals...if they had them in stock but "it's not an item that we normally stock". Same thing when I asked for wheel bearing and axles seals, "We don't stock those but can have them in 10 days if you like". Maybe I expect too much but it seems like wheels bearing, and forks seals would be a stocked item.

I decided to put the forks back together with the used seals. Normally I wouldn't do it but I really need to get out on the road/trail to get the suspension tuned and test out the other mods before we hit the road in Oct. I know I'll have to screw around with fork oil weights and different springs so there will be several opportunities to swap the new seals in when they arrive.

The new (well not new but different model) Marzocchi Shiver 45s from an Aprillia Rxv, revalved by James at Super Plush Suspension:

I got lazy and didn't take any pics of the fork assembling steps but there are lots in -W-'s thread as well as Gangplanks RXV fork swap thread. I opted not to limit the travel on the forks. The stock F8's were 9 1/4" and the RXVs are just under 12". The F8 fork tubes are longer the the RXVs so when the guts are swapped over without limiting the travel it ends up being about 10 1/2. I plan on replacing the rear shock and will try to up the travel in the rear as well. Hopefully the slightly unbalanced travel front to back won't be problematic.

I did install the HyperPro progressive "TT Big Tank" springs. They say they are good for a 180-220lb rider with the extra weight of the TT tank and 20litres of fuel. I'm 235lb without gear so I think these springs should be OK even without the monster tank on the bike.

I added 14mm preload and the sag (bike only) was 55mm. Bike plus me, sag= 65mm. 10.5" travel=266.7mm. 65mm is 24.3% of the travel. 1/3 is a good starting point so if I take out the 14mm preload the sag should be 79mm give or take a couple which would be 29.6%. This fork tuning stuff is new to me so it will be a learning experience!

The zip tie shows the sag bike only:

I did need to mount the tires and install the rims to check the sag numbers. the Rocky Mountain GS Challenge is this weekend and I wanted to check that out and there is a Motorrad Offroad training course that I'll be doing in a few weeks so I decided to mount up the rear Michelin Desert and the Pirelli MT21 front rather than the Anakees.

Tomorrow I'll pull the 14mm preload out and add the fork oil so I can go for a ride to test the new bits and pieces out....finally!

Camel ADV screwed with this post 08-12-2010 at 01:13 AM
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #43
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
Just a quick note on the front fork oil, I saw at an earlier post that you have bought the recommended sae10w hyperpro oil, however for your height and weight I'd go a bit thicker, at sae15w. I have hyperpro on two bikes and I used 15w on both of them, contrary to what the dealer said. Mind you the oil only affects the "rebound", the upward extension of the suspension, so a thicker oil would give a smoother rebound after compression. You could swap them at a local dealer as they have the same cost.

I'm 6,3 (193cm) and 90kg (you'll have to convert that ) and the 15w has worked really well for me.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #44
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,051
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #45
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts
Just a quick note on the front fork oil, I saw at an earlier post that you have bought the recommended sae10w hyperpro oil, however for your height and weight I'd go a bit thicker, at sae15w. I have hyperpro on two bikes and I used 15w on both of them, contrary to what the dealer said. Mind you the oil only affects the "rebound", the upward extension of the suspension, so a thicker oil would give a smoother rebound after compression. You could swap them at a local dealer as they have the same cost.

I'm 6,3 (193cm) and 90kg (you'll have to convert that ) and the 15w has worked really well for me.

The oil was supplied with the spring so I can't just swap it. I'll try it with the 10wt and see how it is. I fully expect a lot of messing around to get things adjust properly but that was the whole point of converting to adjustable forks!