Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #76
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
A couple friends painted it last night and are wet sanding it as I type this. I'm thrilled with the how well the paint turned out I'm waiting on one valve shim which should be here Tuesday and after that I can start to get everything back together for (hopefully) the last time
I was about to ask GNP77...Aren't you running out of good riding weather up there or is Calgary typically better off than your eastern neighbors? In any event, it will be nice to test out your 36L before it gets too cold. Thanks again for the great pictorials on this and the valve adjustment.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #77
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore
I was about to ask GNP77...Aren't you running out of good riding weather up there or is Calgary typically better off than your eastern neighbors? In any event, it will be nice to test out your 36L before it gets too cold. Thanks again for the great pictorials on this and the valve adjustment.

I haven't ridden basically all this year. We got back from the RTW trip in Nov and I think I put 1000km on since then. I started a new business this spring and was working 12-14hrs 6 or 7 days a week for most of the summer. Things have slowed down now (very seasonal business) and I have time to work on things. For the next few years I expect I won't be riding much in the summer which sucks but the up side is that I have ZERO work from Oct to April so I will be able to do 5 or 6 months trips south. We'll be leaving Calgary on Oct 16 and heading to South America. I expect we'll be back early April. Africa next year I hope. I know, it's a tough life but somebody has to do it

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #78
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
I haven't ridden basically all this year. We got back from the RTW trip in Nov and I think I put 1000km on since then. I started a new business this spring and was working 12-14hrs 6 or 7 days a week for most of the summer. Things have slowed down now (very seasonal business) and I have time to work on things. For the next few years I expect I won't be riding much in the summer which sucks but the up side is that I have ZERO work from Oct to April so I will be able to do 5 or 6 months trips south. We'll be leaving Calgary on Oct 16 and heading to South America. I expect we'll be back early April. Africa next year I hope. I know, it's a tough life but somebody has to do it
Man - That will be one hell of a test, won't it? At least you have the US to ride through as you "shake things loose".
Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #79
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore
Man - That will be one hell of a test, won't it? At least you have the US to ride through as you "shake things loose".
I'll hopefully get the bike back together for next weekend and go for a ride. Then we'll be bike camping in an off-road area the next weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving). So with that and a week through the US should be enough time to get everything sorted out.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 09-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #80
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
I'll hopefully get the bike back together for next weekend and go for a ride. Then we'll be bike camping in an off-road area the next weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving). So with that and a week through the US should be enough time to get everything sorted out.
Just curious.... Where will you be punching into mexico?????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #81
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Just curious.... Where will you be punching into mexico?????

Erling
Right now we are planning on riding Baja then taking the ferry back to the main land. If that doesn't change I expect we'll be crossing at Tijuana. I see you're in NM, would you suggest a different crossing?

To be honest, we haven't planned much of this trip. I think that's one of the great things about TDF and back, only a couple of easily attainable visas and no carnets Most of the trip will only be planned a few days in advance of actually doing things.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #82
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Right now we are planning on riding Baja then taking the ferry back to the main land. If that doesn't change I expect we'll be crossing at Tijuana. I see you're in NM, would you suggest a different crossing?

To be honest, we haven't planned much of this trip. I think that's one of the great things about TDF and back, only a couple of easily attainable visas and no carnets Most of the trip will only be planned a few days in advance of actually doing things.
No... That`s good..... 10 years back....I would not get within 10 miles of Tijuana........ All is now changed......and The T. is not all that bad. I just wanted to offer any assistance needed if you ended up crossing in Juarez..... But I figured after voted the worlds most dangorous city in the world..... Nobody sane would cross there......
If anything changes.......And I can be of assistance.....let me know.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #83
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
If you're going through Tiajuana and want to stop the night before in San Diego, let me know.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #84
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
If you're going through Tiajuana and want to stop the night before in San Diego, let me know.
That sounds like a great idea! I'll let you know when we get closer

Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #85
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

I got the tank back from paint...it turned out great! A huge thanks to Jenssen and Eric for all the hard work.

Once I got my valve adjust completed (was waiting on one shim) I got the motor back together, airbox, battery etc. The tank install went pretty well. The quality of the product is great but the instructions left me scratching my head several times. The english translation is barely tolerable at times and the small and grainy photos left me cursing. I managed to get it all installed (with a ton of fasteners left over )

I'm running out of prep time for the trip so I didn't snap a ton of assembly photos. While I was in the garage I installed some HID headlights, re-installed the StarCom 1 and wired in a couple USB outlets, one cigarette lighter plug and 2 SAEs. The re-vamped pannier racks went on (well). I swapped the fork oil to 5wt (from 10wt).

The first ride with the new tank (full) was surprisingly pleasant. I was expecting to really feel the extra weight but it doesn't feel bad at all. Others with this tank have stated it felt more stable and planted with the extra weight and I have to agree. An added bonus of the tank is that it seems to have blocked some wind too.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #86
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 173
Hey man,

Digging the thread and bike modifications. Can't wait for the ride reports. Had a gear question for you. Noticed from your web page that you guys were using the BMW enduro helments. I am want to try a non flip face helmet and was conidering the enduro model. Anyway was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving a quick report on how you liked (or didn't like) the helmet and are you using them again for the upcoming trip?

Have a great ride.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #87
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman
Hey man,

Digging the thread and bike modifications. Can't wait for the ride reports. Had a gear question for you. Noticed from your web page that you guys were using the BMW enduro helments. I am want to try a non flip face helmet and was conidering the enduro model. Anyway was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving a quick report on how you liked (or didn't like) the helmet and are you using them again for the upcoming trip?

Have a great ride.
We've both been very happy with the helmets. Yes we are both using them on this trip as well. They are very comfortable and light. I can't really compare it to other brands as this is the only hybrid helmet I've ever owned. The only downside is the cost of replacement visors (about $100) seems to be more than the Shoei or Aria.

Camel ADV screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 09:35 AM
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #88
klarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
That sounds like a great idea! I'll let you know when we get closer
In fact, let's make it a party! I'd join you guys for a leisurely jaunt or to hang out and soak up the Baja adventure stories! Keep us San Diegans posted...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #89
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Great build thread, thanks for sharing! That bike is certainly no garage queen.

Really like some of the mods you have done, the tight fitting pannier racks, DIY muffler, Anderson connector etc are all great ideas that you won't just find in the Touratech catalog.

What size rims did you end up with and what are you going to fit as a headlight protector?

Cheers

LukasM screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 01:12 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #90
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Great build thread, thanks for sharing! That bike is certainly no garage queen.

What size rims did you end up with and what are you going to fit as a headlight protector?

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this year it has been a garage queen. I've only put on about 1000km since November last year. The joys of being self employed!

I ended up going with an 1.85"x21" and a 3.5"x17". I really wanted to go with an 18" rear but the lack of good road rubber in 18" changed my mind. Versatility is extremely important for an ADV bike so I went with the 3.5" width so I can comfortably run a 150/70-17 or 140/80-17. In a pinch a 130 would work too.

I'm not sure what to run for a headlight guard. I had the wire mesh TT unit last trip but it now looks like pretzel. I my just add some of the high end stick-on lens protector film. I had doubts about it but held up really well on my Subaru WRX. It didn't crack, peel or yellow.

Camel ADV screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 09:37 AM