Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #91
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
We've both been very happy with the helmets. yes we are both using them on this trip as well. They are very comfortable and light. I can't really compare it to other brands as this is the only hybrid helmet I've ever owned. The only downside is the cost of replacement visors (about $100) seems to be more than the Shoei or Aria.
I'll throw in a few comments on the BMW helmet also. I had a Shoie Hornet for a short time before replacing it (after a crash) with the Enduro. The BMW helmet fits quite comparably to the Shoei. The BMW helmet is lighter, has a better visor that is actually useful, and does not catch the wind as much. In fact the visor hardly has any adverse aerodynamic effects at all. I also have had no fogging issues with the BMW visor, while I did with the Shoei.

Its much more expensive (I got a steal on mine second hand) and not available in the US, but I like it a lot better than the Shoei.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #92
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
I'm not sure what to run for a headlight guard. I had the wire mesh TT unit last trip but it now looks like pretzel. I my just add some of the high end stick-on lens protector film. I had doubts about it but held up really well on my Subaru WRX. It didn't crack, peel or yellow.
I can't recommend the BMW headlight protector highly enough. It's very sturdy and pops off easily to clean the lense and the protector. I had one on my 1200 too.

Not the best picture of it, but (this is right after I decided I wanted to go through a Manzanita bush rather than around it):

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #93
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Is there anyway to clean oil soaked brake pads or do I need to replace them? They are 75% so I'd hate to replace them if I don't need to.
The paranoid will advise against it, but I and plenty of others have successfully cleaned contaminated brake pads by putting them in boiling water.

If I was about to enter a race or RTW and wanted as much performance/longevity as possible, would I do it? No. If I was just looking to carry them as spare pads, or to keep costs down on a commuter hack, would I do it? Yes.

Needless to say, be very careful in testing any pads "recovered" this way and if they aren't up to scratch, bin 'em.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #94
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,376
I replaced them not too long ago and did keep the originals as spares. (brake pads)

We stopped in Seattle at TouraTech and I bought the skid plate tool box and some neoprene fork gaiters. The bike has been excellent with the exception of a spongy rear shock. I wasn't sure if it felt bad in comparison to the new forks or if it was actually on it's last legs so I decided to swap it out.

Trout had a brand new Ohlins unit so Tony met us half way between San Diego and LA. The Ohlins is a HUGE upgrade to the stocker and I feel much better not having that worry in the back of my head.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 08:35 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #95
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

12,000km on the road after the build and I'm happy to report everything has been working very well with the exception of the StarCom 1 Digital. It's been nothing but grief and I ripped it all off the bike and mailed it home.

The enormous unmarked potholes and speed bumps in Mexico and Central America have really tested the Woody's Wheels and new suspension. The wheels are showing no signs of damage at all, I'm thrilled. The Shiver 45 forks and Ohlins shock are doing very well. The suspension mods really are obvious and a huge upgrade.

The TT tank is great with a few small exceptions. They don't include hose clamps for the vent line and over flow line. The fitting is a barbed gatorback so I thought there was no reason to clamp the hoses. Both locations have been leaking a bit of fuel. It's easy enough to add a clamp to the vent hose but the over flow line will require removal of the tank which will have to wait until I need to replace the airfilter or check valves as I don't have the urge to pull the tank anymore than I have to.

I'm still trying to find the best option for switching from the main tank to the front tank. I always seem to forget to flip the petcocks when we're stopped and the main tank is getting low. A soon as I start riding again I notice the fuel light and have to stop and open the valves. Not really a big deal but it can be a pain but that's just nit pickin. I may try to tee the lines from the front tank and run them to the main vent line as other have done and see if I like that option.

I've dropped the bike a few times and the tank has be unscathed. A couple drops in the sand with no damage (no surprise there) and one pretty violent drop in to some large rocks with no damage other than paint. I still have some concerns about the bike skidding on the tank. Some small crash bars or UHMW/kevlar skid pads on the lower section of the tank would ease my anxiety substantially.

The rear K60 is wearing like iron. 6000km so far and very little noticeable wear. I'm very happy with the handling on the pavement and it seems to grip well in the moderate off-road/bad dirt roads we've done.

The front Dunlop D606 grips well but despite being at 35psi (recommend max pressure) it's wearing really poorly. There's 8000km on it so it's milage is OK but it wearing oddly.

It is a directional tire but is there an opportunity to flip it and run it reverse rotation to try and squeeze some more miles out of it or am I asking for a wicked death wobble or other handling issues?

Thoughts?

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #96
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
That's just how the 606's wear when subjected to pavement. I wouldn't reverse it as it is a directional tire. It's also tearing the knobs. Trash it.

The only thing I have noticed is that the more careful I am about balancing, the longer the tire lasts and wedges less.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #97
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
that's just how the 606's wear when subjected to pavement. I wouldn't reverse it as it is a directional tire. It's also tearing the knobs. Trash it.

The only thing i have noticed is that the more careful i am about balancing, the longer the tire lasts and wedges less.
+1
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #98
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
That's just how the 606's wear when subjected to pavement. I wouldn't reverse it as it is a directional tire. It's also tearing the knobs. Trash it.

The only thing I have noticed is that the more careful I am about balancing, the longer the tire lasts and wedges less.
Good to know it's normal and at the same time it's too bad it's normal!

Other options...TKC80 or a Pirelli MT21. I expect that either of these would be a better option for more pavement miles? I have a MT21 at home but only put a couple thousand KM on it so I'm not really sure if it'd be a better choice. Pirellis should be easy enough to find as they are made in Brazil. I believe there's a BMW dealer in Guatemala City and it seems that every beemer dealer stocks TKC 80s.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #99
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Regarding the TKC's I am on my 2nd tire on the front and 3rd on the rear. The front got an odd wear pattern, the row of knobs on each side of the center would wear badly. On the first tire, when the tire wore out, it wore very quickly. The second tire I flipped around at 2,000 miles with no bad effects and the wear pattern evened out. I am still running that tire.

I was told it was OK with a bias cord tire and not to do it with a radial, due to the manor in which the radial cords crossed from edge to edge.
I think your current tire is starting to show some tread separation and would not do it.

How do the D606 handle on pavement?. I like them in dirt on my 650's but are not confidence inspiring on pavement. The TKC's handle very well on pavement once you have some miles on them.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #100
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

How do the D606 handle on pavement?. I like them in dirt on my 650's but are not confidence inspiring on pavement. The TKC's handle very well on pavement once you have some miles on them.

Not to jack the thread, but this was taken while riding on D606's in Colorado.... I find they do just fine on pavement....

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #101
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Regarding the TKC's I am on my 2nd tire on the front and 3rd on the rear. The front got an odd wear pattern, the row of knobs on each side of the center would wear badly. On the first tire, when the tire wore out, it wore very quickly. The second tire I flipped around at 2,000 miles with no bad effects and the wear pattern evened out. I am still running that tire.

I was told it was OK with a bias cord tire and not to do it with a radial, due to the manor in which the radial cords crossed from edge to edge.
I think your current tire is starting to show some tread separation and would not do it.

Like Chitown said, they seem pretty good on pavement. I never felt them squirm or slip and they hold the corners well. Even with the goofy wear they don't shake or vibrate. The rubber is pretty soft and I'm happy to have gotten 5000miles out of them. It seems that I could have/should have gotten more based on the amount of meat left.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #102
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Not to give the wrong impression, I have run both tires, just not on the same bike. IMO the 606 is more dirt worthy and the TKC more street worthy, only because it turns in quicker and can be leaned over like a street tire.
I am not recommending flipping a tire, but only reporting that I did it on the TKC and lived to tell about it. Both my TKC's developed the same odd tire cupping. On the first, the time from it becoming noticeable to the time I was afraid to ride it was about 800 miles. The 2nd one has many more miles on it, but I really can't say it will wear longer than the 606 because I typically change them before I really need to, for one reason or another.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 12:53 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #103
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Not to jack the thread, but this was taken while riding on D606's in Colorado.... I find they do just fine on pavement....

Just amazing what you can do with a nice slr mounted like yours..... Great picture..... Hmmmm.... Looks like one of the curves on 550 right above the big mine restore project......... I know what pain you must be going through.....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...untainpass.mp4

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #104
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I run the 606 on a KTM 530 Dirtbike and expect about 1200 miles on a set. I take them off when they look like a New TKC tread. I think if I try them on a 75% dirt trip (800 miles) I will throw them away after it. They are cheap for a set next to a new set of TKC's. I heard the stock wheels are soft and may bend with the narrow 130's. I would love to have two sets of wheels. $$$$
The 606's in the pictures above have done very well for 4000km in my opinion.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #105
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I found the TKC on the front of the F800 to cause noticable squirm (squirm?). OK, how about wobble? But, interestingly enough I found it became much reduced with wear. And wear you will get. Quickly! This was the shortest lived tire I ever tried. At the time it was a good 80% highway use so if your off road you may do a lot better. For my money, Heidies get my vote. Front and rear.