Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #106
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
The front Dunlop D606 grips well but despite being at 35psi (recommend max pressure) it's wearing really poorly. There's 8000km on it so it's milage is OK but it wearing oddly.

It is a directional tire but is there an opportunity to flip it and run it reverse rotation to try and squeeze some more miles out of it or am I asking for a wicked death wobble or other handling issues?

Thoughts?
That's a pretty fantastic mileage out of a 606. You can flip them around without any adverse effect (up till about 80 or so, at least on my KLR, though I only had them on for a couple hundred miles that way...) but that's so worn (and they're so cheap) that it's not worth the effort to flip them just to gena few more clicks.

Wear pattern isn't too abnormal...assumIng you're heavy on the fr

MT21s might work out...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #107
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
The front Dunlop D606 grips well but despite being at 35psi (recommend max pressure) it's wearing really poorly. There's 8000km on it so it's milage is OK but it wearing oddly.

It is a directional tire but is there an opportunity to flip it and run it reverse rotation to try and squeeze some more miles out of it or am I asking for a wicked death wobble or other handling issues?

Thoughts?
That's a pretty good mileage out of a 606, especially on such a heavy bike. You could flip them around without any adverse effect (up till about 80 or so, at least on my KLR...though I only had them on for a couple hundred miles that way...) but that tire is so worn (and they're so cheap) that it's not worth the effort to flip them just to get a few more clicks.

Wear pattern isn't too abnormal for a street ridden bike...assuming you're heavy on the front brake.

MT21s are about equivalent to 606s in wear, in my experience.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #108
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
That's a pretty good mileage out of a 606, especially on such a heavy bike. You could flip them around without any adverse effect (up till about 80 or so, at least on my KLR...though I only had them on for a couple hundred miles that way...) but that tire is so worn (and they're so cheap) that it's not worth the effort to flip them just to get a few more clicks.

Wear pattern isn't too abnormal for a street ridden bike...assuming you're heavy on the front brake.

MT21s are about equivalent to 606s in wear, in my experience.
Very true!

I tend to like the knob pattern and compound of the Pirelli MT-21 a bit better though personally.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #109
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Very true!

I tend to like the knob pattern and compound of the Pirelli MT-21 a bit better though personally.
Pirelli MT21 front tires scare me in the dirt. Had one on my XR650R for about 5 rides and got rid of it. Always felt like the front end was going to wash out and it did a few times. I do like them as a dual sport rear tire though.

D606 on thumpers or TKC 80 on the 800 for me.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #110
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,374
We made a quick trip into Guatemala City today to drop off Troy's KLR at the dealer. I found a shop called VRC that stocks the Pirelli MT21s in the elusive 90/90-21 size (elusive around here anyway). I paid $130 or so in Canada the last MT21 I bought and Q425 or about $53USD today.

I'll post up after 8000km with the Pirelli and see if it did any better.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #111
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thumb

Great job "adventurizing"...your bike looks awesome, and you have certainly made it your own. I really like how the fuel tank turned out.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #112
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post
Great job "adventurizing"...your bike looks awesome, and you have certainly made it your own. I really like how the fuel tank turned out.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm very happy with the way it's performing. A few tweaks here and there and it will be perfect (for me).

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #113
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

I've had a Pirelli MT21 on the front since Antigua, Guatemala. From Antigua to Darien and back to San Cristobal, Mexico. It's at 9000km, about 1000km more than the D606 in the pics earlier in the thread.

The MT21 developed a goofy wear pattern with only 1000km on it even though it was inflated to max pressure while on the pavement. Now the center lugs are almost untouched while the outside row are worn to the carcass.

Unlike the D606, the odd wear is creating strange handling and wicked vibrations at low speed. It feels like I'm riding on stop-signs.

I was hoping to make it back to the US before changing it but I'm over 3000km via the shortest route and expect I'll be closer to 4500-5000km by the time I get there.

For knobbies the D606, MT21 and Michelin Desert are the only ones I've run so far and all have had good life (5000miles+) but have worn badly right from the start. Of the 3, I think the MT21 has been the worst for wear pattern and handling once worn.

I've been through 2 fronts and on to my 3rd while the rear K60 is still over 50% at over 15,000km.

Is there a front knobby that might be able to keep up with the K60 rear? Or maybe I just not worry about it as front are relatively inexpensive, especially down here.

I've heard mixed reviews on the K60 front and the TKC 80.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #114
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I haven't tried a knobbie that didn't do that. I think the front K60 sucks nads, don't even bother... I'm trying a TKC right now, but don't have enough mileage on it yet to say either way (they've been fine on other bikes however). I changed out a Mitas E-09 front with some life left in it because I couldn't stand the damn vibrations it was making when I rolled to a stop so I know what you mean! I think my favorite so far has been a Metzler Karoo 2, and the price is decent right now as well!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5384/ITEM/Metzeler-MCE-Karoo-2-Front-Tire.aspx
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #115
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I haven't tried a knobbie that didn't do that. I think the front K60 sucks nads, don't even bother... I'm trying a TKC right now, but don't have enough mileage on it yet to say either way (they've been fine on other bikes however). I changed out a Mitas E-09 front with some life left in it because I couldn't stand the damn vibrations it was making when I rolled to a stop so I know what you mean! I think my favorite so far has been a Metzler Karoo 2, and the price is decent right now as well!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5384/ITEM/Metzeler-MCE-Karoo-2-Front-Tire.aspx
+1

I have the same opinion of the K60 front. I've been through a TKC80 on the front, it had sharkfinning/cupping issues too. Let me know what you think of the TKC80 on the front Bayner.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #116
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:

That gnarly wear there! All too common with knobbies on this bike though. With the weight of this bike and how much braking power it has, knobbies are bound to wear this way on pavement.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #117
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

I've had the K60 rear, TKC front for over 3,000 miles now, probably even more. 90% of that has (sadly) been on pavement. So far it has worn very evenly and has been a great front tire.

If I could get another K60 in 150 I would continue to run this combo, but I will definitely keep running the TKC front.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #118
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Knobbies move under acceleration and braking. Such angular wear is normal.

It's common practice to flip the front tire around when replacing a rear to compensate for this since the front tire suffers more due to hard braking and smaller knobs.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #119
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Knobbies move under acceleration and braking. Such angular wear is normal.

It's common practice to flip the front tire around when replacing a rear to compensate for this since the front tire suffers more due to hard braking and smaller knobs.
Flipping the front when changing rear.. I'll be 3:1 fronts to this rear by the time the K60 is done!

Since the MT21 isn't directional, I had planned on flipping it once the uneven wear started. Unfortunately, it started within he first 1000km (couple days). The vibration started shortly after so I saw no point in flipping it, it's f$%ked and has been for a couple thousand km. I should have replaced it weeks ago but got lazy.

I agree that the smaller lugs deforming under load are likely the cause. I'm trying to think of a mixed terrain tire that has larger flatter lugs (like the 19" version of the TKC80) but am drawing a blank.

I'm wondering if the new 21" K60 will be any better.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #120
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Flipping the front when changing rear.. I'll be 3:1 fronts to this rear by the time the K60 is done!

Since the MT21 isn't directional, I had planned on flipping it once the uneven wear started. Unfortunately, it started within he first 1000km (couple days). The vibration started shortly after so I saw no point in flipping it, it's f$%ked and has been for a couple thousand km. I should have replaced it weeks ago but got lazy.

I agree that the smaller lugs deforming under load are likely the cause. I'm trying to think of a mixed terrain tire that has larger flatter lugs (like the 19" version of the TKC80) but am drawing a blank.

I'm wondering if the new 21" K60 will be any better.
I have no personal experience with it, but I have only read bad things about the 21" front K60.