User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
Ktm 990 Adventure R vs Super Enduro

I'm trying to decide what my next bike will be in a year or two a I gotta say the adventure r and superenduro are 2 I'm considering. The GSA and 800 are also options but best not mention that here. I just really like the look of the Superenduro but I don't quite get it. It weighs 40 or so pounds less then the adventure r but has less suspension and less power.( more then enough though I'm sure). I guess it has lower gearing too right? I'm going to be riding close to everyday as well as longer distance trips when money and time align. I currently ride an Aprilia rxv 550 but need something bigger for everyday riding and loading the wife on a couple times a year. The superenduro can have a passenger footpeg kit and honestly shes young enough she can handle the saddle if need be.I just dont really know why I would get the superenduro instead of the adventure R. From what I can tell I would think the SE would only handle slightly better off road. I guess I'm really asking what makes the SE better then the R and vice-versa. I ride off road a lot ,and in really crappy conditions, but I also ride on road a lot usually cruising around 80 unless I'm on the interstate(try to avoid) then maybe 90. Of course when I pass who knows how fast I go. Triumph has that new adventure bike coming but I'm not sure it can match the ktms off road. We will have to wait and see. I guess after all that writing I'm just curious (already said this, be kind) in what ways the SE and the R differ. Thanks
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,017
SE= A dirtbike that caan do Street.\
ADV= A dirtbike made to travel LONG Miles on the street to get to the dirt.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
I have no experience of the R but own an SE. Last bike was a 1150GS so you know where I am coming from in terms of bike highway worthiness.

I am amazed with the SE. With a little screen from 690E will do 90 all day (unless you have strong head wind). A rally fairing is also due from a swedish guy in this forum.
The seat is wide and comfortable for an enduro bike.
Off road is the dogs bollocks. The 1.5cm less suspension travel than the R is academic, besides the SE is a lot lighter.
The really big surprise though is that with proper suspension adjustment, it turns like a road bike on twisty tarmac. It is that good. Even on the stock enduro wheels.

The F800 is lacking everywhere compared to the SE, bar fuel economy and range. My SE with almost stock jetting, akras and 16/45 gearing does easily 180km before the low fuel light, going 120-130km/hr on the highway. That is less than 6lt/100km.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,011
Road / Off.
50/50 SE.
70/30 ADV.
90/10 F800.

One of my biggest problems with the SE is tyre combinations and availability (18 rear and UK). The knobblier you go, youll be amazed what the SE will tackle off road, but, its a big but she has, it aint any 250 crosser. The more knobbly you go, the more the SE will shred rear tyres, .
On road the SE handles superbly, Im riding a 690 Duke at the moment with road tyres and the SE feels more planted with adv tyres.

Love the ADV, room and money Id have one tomorrow. Much better suited and booted for the road, got the right luggage straight out of the box. Putting hard panniers on the SE is like putting saddle bags on a race horse.

Like the F800, suspension needs attention, geometry and handling feels more like a sports bike. Off road its OK, but it wont get you all excited transitioning between surfaces.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Dracothius OP
Berserker

So the SE is really that much better at off roading the the Adventure R? I plan on eventually doing some adventure biking.( multiple day, week or even month riding) Which would really require a tank upgrade on the SE. It would also require soft bags at least.(wolfman maybe) I mean should I just buy the bike thats a step closer and sacrifice my better off road ability or just do a little more farkling to the SE? I would ride off road as much as possible even when adventuring. You said its like putting saddlebags on a racehorse, does that mean long distance with this bike is a bad idea? I would like to hear from someone whose rode both the SE and the R off road to know how different the two really feel. Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Another question is does the fuel economy differ between the R and the SE? What does the R get compared to the SE?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I own a 950sm and love it so much that I am selling my 05 FJR1300 and replacing it with a 950se. I plan to make mine 70/30 (road/dirt). If the se handles road as good as they say, I may sell the sm also. Let you know in a month.
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Cool I'll be standing by.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
Another question is does the fuel economy differ between the R and the SE? What does the R get compared to the SE?
The carburated 950s give better economy than the injected 990s.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Jerks !

I hate you guys with your long inseems. " Oh no , which super tall bike should I get " I love the look of the SE and have sat on them at the dealer. Yup my legs are swinging still a couple of inches off the ground ( with the bike on the side stand ). I guess I could have the seat cut down a bit, and I could have the suspention lowered a bit. I'll have to stick to my 8" travel Adventure.
I think it's fair to say neither of these bikes are single track woods weapons but they are both very capable when many other bikes would turn back. I'd be curious to to campare the center of balance between the SE and the Adventure. With it's fuel tanks hung so much lower than the SE it might be better balanced ?
It's been said it's easier to make the SE into a good Adventure bike than it is to make the Adventure into a lighter enduro bike.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
I have an '05 ADV and love it. I've never ridden the SE, but it looks great. The one problem I see mentioned concerning the SE has been broken rear subframes when heavy luggage is attached. I've read that the SE's subframe was just not built to carry massive loads, so that may or may not be a consideration for you. That's why I didn't consider the SE. That said, I see SEs loaded down all the time.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

The subframe is fine, its only the section under the passenger handles which is weak, but very easily reinforced. In other words, it is as good as anything for hard side bags, but not a heavy top-box (as is).

The SE has superbly centralised mass, better than the adv, despite the lower CG of the adv. That is probably due to the lighter front and rear ends of the SE.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,429
The SE is cheaper to crash in the dirt.....

the mis-leading part is the 40lbs of "listed" weight difference...in the dirt the SE feels 100lbs lighter than the Adv...

in the end...the Adv is plenty capable in the dirt and the SE is more comfortable than you think for the road...so buy the one that blows your skirt up....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
The subframe is fine, its only the section under the passenger handles which is weak, but very easily reinforced. In other words, it is as good as anything for hard side bags, but not a heavy top-box (as is).

The SE has superbly centralised mass, better than the adv, despite the lower CG of the adv. That is probably due to the lighter front and rear ends of the SE.
How exactly do you reinforce the subframe of the SE? This is probably my main concern with the SE. I don't hear about it braking a lot but my luck is horrible when it comes to this sort of thing. On a positive note I hate how top boxes look ( no offense I just don't like them) so I should'nt really have to worry about that.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
How exactly do you reinforce the subframe of the SE? This is probably my main concern with the SE. I don't hear about it braking a lot but my luck is horrible when it comes to this sort of thing. On a positive note I hate how top boxes look ( no offense I just don't like them) so I should'nt really have to worry about that.
Dont worry a bit about that, its dead easy for a welder.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493518