User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Witness OP
Me

Oddometer: 465
Day/Weekend Tripping on my Ulysess

I'm one of the folks that's been waiting for this section so that I could post some pics and share my non epic first year of Buell Ulysses riding.

I got back into riding in 2006 with my Sportster, problem is that I always seemed to end up on dirt roads

In the summer of 2009, my wife decided and then undecided that she wanted to ride her own bike, so I ended up with my Sportster and a Buell Blast

So what to do, I traded them both in for this:

The bike was ready for pick up July 29, 2009 and my first trip was planned for that weekend to the Adirondacks in the state of New York

The Ulysses would get nicely broken in over the weekend.
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Witness OP
Me

The Adirondacks

So this was my second trip to Adirondack Park, it's only a six hour ride from Ontario. I made the trip with a Sportster friend. He has a lowered low which ended up being a little bit of a problem for him.

We crossed of the border at Lewiston, and head back up to the south side of Lake Ontario. The highway has a name with scenic in it and is a much better alternative than the slab.

We had booked a room just outside of Oswego NY because I had met a guy there the year before and he wanted to give me a local tour of the area. As it turned out despite my prior arrangements, the guy didn't show.

The day ended with a bang, I had changed my gps from km's to miles and instead of measuring the last bit before a turn in meters it was now using feet.

Add to that the fact the Motel had no sign, and my hard braking caused my riding partner to lay down his bike on the road to avoid hitting me.

Minor damage to him and his ride but this was not going to be last time that he was going down.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Witness OP
Me

Day two

Heading into Adirondack Park, along the Moose River Road, a nice mostly somewhat paved and winding road along the Moose River

We stayed in Old Forge, a kind of touristy old feeling town. A nice place to take my wife I thought.
The trip before on the Sportster I stayed in the Lake Placid area and thought there were more road choices.

There is only one way in and out of Old Forge and I found we travelled the same roads a few time.

I had pre planned a route in MapSource that would circle inside the park on what looked like a few dirt roads.

As usual the road started out really nice winding along through the bush. The Uly just ate up the bumps the lowered sportster low not so much.

This was the first time on dirt with my new bike

The road quickly deteriorated and my buddy on the sportster hit a decent sized rock and was thrown from his bike and went down like a sack of potatoes.

The video camera that he had mounted on handlebars was smashed to bits, and he broke part of the clutch lever and his kickstand. Sorry no pics of the crash.

A little sandy stretch

A couple of dumbasses taking pics of each other

No kickstand

Witness screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 07:17 AM
Old 07-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,365
Through a 30 year sea of Japanese sport bikes I too had a Sportster and loved it. It was a 1991, the first year of the 5 speed and because mine was the 883 Deluxe it had belt drive a year before the rest of the 883 Sportster line. Certain enjoyable characteristics of it's mechanics made my Buell a natural choice last fall when I heard the news.

Last Saturday on the way down to Calgary for the Calgary Harley-Davidson-Buell Stampede Breakfast:

RedDogAlberta screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 12:32 PM
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Witness OP
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
Through a 30 year sea of Japanese sport bikes I too had a Sportster and loved it. It was a 1991, the first year of the 5 speed and because mine was the 883 Deluxe it had belt drive a year before the rest of the 883 Sportster line. Certain enjoyable characteristics of it's mechanics made my Buell a natural choice last fall when I heard the news.
I miss the Sporty, it was a different ride than the Uly for sure
however with a one bike choice, I'll stick with the Buell.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Witness OP
Me

Alright time to wrap up, what can I say? The Adirondacks are probably the closest mountains to my home in Ontario.

Spent day three exploring the park and we decided for the sake of the Sportster to stay on the tarmac.

Most pics of me on a trip, I'm fu___ing around with the GPS

The next day up and we booted the way home on the slab

Here's a report I wrote on my weekend breaking in the Buell Ulysess

Loud Fans Save Lives,
09 XB12X Ulysses Report

After 10 days of ownership, I’ve logged 2200 kms on the Ulysses on a variety of terrain including paved roads, twisty mountain roads, dirt roads, and rock strewn paths and in the rain.

Let’s get the negative stuff out of the way first.
Here are the things I don’t like about this bike in order of most annoying.

The Seat Heater. Seat Heater?, there’s no seat heater on a Uly.
Well there is and it doesn’t have an off switch. Let me explain.
The rear cylinder is located just under the riders arse, and there a fan (see point four) that comes on to exhaust the heat away from the bike. Previous years Uly owners complained of the searing heat on their right leg, so for 2009 Buell put a little blocker on the frame to protect the rider’s leg. I now suspect that this fix has caused the heat to gather under the rider’s ass. After about an hours ride my butt was most hot and uncomfortable.
Think hot fudge sundae.

For 2010 Buell has introduced another fix with a larger scoop and a remap to better control the fan. I will see what others say before I shell out for it.
I put some insulation under the seat which has helped. I’ll next try some better insulation with the reflective material to see if that solves the problem.

The Windscreen, (although not standard on the XB12X), my bike came with the taller screen and it’s just the right height to deflect the air straight into my face, so I can’t even flip up the visor on my full face a tiny bit at slow speeds. As well the wind noise is ferocious. I see a few Uly owners on another forum have come up with some solutions, including laminar lips, and changing the angle of the screen that I’ll need to look into.

The Turn Signals don’t self cancel. This is really hard for me to get used to and really dangerous because I keep forgetting to turn them off.

The Loud Fan, after you shut off the bike, the fan comes on and runs for about 2 minutes. It’s really loud, however in most cases I’ll be walking away from the bike so it won’t matter.

Now the good stuff.
I’m really starting to get comfortable on this bike. At first I had trouble getting used to the great front brake, the way it handled and the height.
(I dropped it within the first 10km)
I like a lot of the features that were not available on the Sportster.
Under seat storage, heated grips, power outlets, tachometer, helmet lock, really good tie down locations, tool kit.

This bike has a lot of power and it’s a lot of fun to twist the throttle.

It handles like its on rails going around corners without ever coming close to touching down. Its way sportier then me.

The suspension is really really good (my only comparison was the sportster with progressive 412’s) and is very adjustable.
Preload can be adjusted with a dial while riding the bike.

The main reason I bought this bike was for dirt roads. I’ve done a few hundred km’s on the dirt and the bike is fantastic. It’s a little squirrelly at speed on the really thick loose gravel, but what 500lb bike wouldn’t be?

I’ve taken it on some trails and I’m really getting confident of this bikes ability to handle rough terrain.

The seat is really wide and comfortable until the seat heater kicks in. I do a lot of riding in the cool spring and fall, so the warm seat, hand guards and grip heaters should come in handy.

The tall riding position really gives a commanding view of the road, and I can see the view when crossing most bridges.

I have the new bags and top case on order and will report on them once I’ve tried them out. It sucks not having any storage.

This bike flies under the radar screen and is not noticed by many people. It’s quiet (other than the fan)
If the reason you ride a bike is to get attention, don’t get this bike. I used to get all kinds of comments on the sportster, but not with this bike.
There are a few people (not many) who know Buell and will talk your ear off.
This does not look like you average American built bike.

Although I miss my Sportster I really like the Ulysses and think that it suits my riding style. I wish I could afford to keep several bikes housed and fed.

Witness screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 05:41 PM
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 694
Sweet, love the Uly

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Witness OP
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising
Sweet, love the Uly
Thanks, I've had the bike a year now and since that ride I've corrected all of the negative stuff, Comfort Kit, Re-map, and Palmer windshield brackets.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness
Add to that the fact the Motel had no sign, and my hard braking caused my riding partner to lay down his bike on the road to avoid hitting me.
So he is one of THOSE kinds of Harley riders...
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Witness OP
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
So he is one of THOSE kinds of Harley riders...
Not exactly sure what you meant by that comment?

Witness screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 04:21 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,585
your hard braking didn't cause your friend to "lay the bike down", he was probably following too closely, didn't brake properly and target fixated on you. Either way, you didn't cause him to wreck by slowing down.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #12
Witness OP
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by (none)
your hard braking didn't cause your friend to "lay the bike down", he was probably following too closely, didn't brake properly and target fixated on you. Either way, you didn't cause him to wreck by slowing down.
Your probably correct, however I was being diplomatic

Witness screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 05:10 PM
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,775
Let's not poison this nice RR.

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
Algentry1
no longer valid

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob View Post
Let's not poison this nice RR.

Thank you.

Algentry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
KILO-51
Door Kicker

Oddometer: 31
Here's my 09 ULY with a few custom mods....
Attached Images

KILO-51 is offline   Reply With Quote