Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #31
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,285
A spot is a great idea Ren. You'll never regret the decison, especially if you happen to need it. Think of it as an investment in peace of mind. It's nice to be able to keep track of the people we care about and vice versa.

I think it's your turn to come visit me

Um, what happened to little mules tailight?

rob1313 screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 09:38 AM
rob1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #32
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
That is not uncommon around here.
Yeah here too. And my phone seems worse than most...a lot of times I have no signal and Josh's works perfectly.

Quote:
Don't worry. He'll still be a putz when you wake up.
dirtphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #33
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313
A spot is a great idea Ren. You'll never regret the decison, especially if you happen to need it. Think of it as an investment in peace of mind. It's nice to be able to keep track of the people we care about and vice versa.

I think it's your turn to come visit me

Um, what happened to little mules tailight?
At this point in my life I like the idea of being completely invisible...but I'm sure I'd regret that if I found myself in real trouble.

I would LOVE to do a longer trip to someplace I've never been. Like Arkansas. Or Canada (your part of it I've never seen, anyway). It's just not very conducive with work right now:(

Ha ha...it busted last fall and we epoxied it back together. And then it shook off a couple of weeks ago...tried epoxy again and it was a no-go. Finally got the new one on a few days ago

Quote:

dirtphoenix screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 07:24 PM
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #34
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Wednesday 07.14.2010

I rode Lil Mule and Josh drove his truck and we met at the top of Marshall Pass. We stopped at the gas station in Poncha Springs...and apparently I forgot to zip the side pocket on my tailpack when I was done with my debit card. This time I took Poncha Creek Rd (FR 203) instead of the regular Marshall Pass Rd (FR 200). I got into a nifty grove of aspens and stopped to take a pic...and my camera, debit card and credit card had bounced out After cursing a blue streak I went back down the road fairly slowly, scanning for the lost items. I found the debit card quickly and made it all the way back to the highway without seeing the others. I found a lil pocket of cell service and called and left Josh a message saying I'd be awhile. On the way back up the road I found the credit card...but I never did find the camera. The funny thing is that just the other day I was thinking I wanted to get a new camera; the one I had didn't take very good pics (sometimes it wouldn't focus right) and it had this incredibly annoying lag, which anyone who's tried to photograph kids and dogs and motorcycles knows is infuriating. But I was going to hang onto it for awhile and shop around for awhile...

So Josh got a couple of pics with his phone that I'll post as soon as I figure out how to do it...

Aside from that, I liked 203 a lot better; it was more challenging and had some cool views. I might never do Marshall Pass Rd again...

Quote:
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 10,267
Awesome!!

SirWrecksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #36
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
You may be able to get a better deal on the prior model than the newest model. Still have to pay for the service, but it may help costs. We're looking at one too for our various trips. The day of my accident, though we were on the highway only one person's cell phone got enough signal to call 9-1-1 and my husband. That is not uncommon around here.
hijack

That's the beauty of the spot. It uses the GPS system of satellites and not cell towers. If needed it has a 911 button that notifies and passes your location to emergency services. I am running the TAT next week solo and I bought one just for that reason. Well also to let the family know where I am since cell service is so bad in OK.

Saw your thread in face plant and hope you are healing.

John

/hijack off
Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #37
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Saw your thread in face plant and hope you are healing.
Thanks. Posted an update today.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #38
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,285
Hmm, funny. I just bought a new camera today. I ended up with an Olympus Stylus Tough. Waterproof (I know people who take them cliff diving) shock proof and even freezeable (I do live in Canada) I'm just giving it it's first charge right now. I'll be testing it in the next day or so. I'll keep you posted
Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #39
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,695
I looked at SPOT today. That thing would be really comforting to have along riding in the back country like you do. The Gen 2 is on sale right now for $149.95 (reg $169.95) and the basic coverage package is $99.00 a year.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #40
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313
Hmm, funny. I just bought a new camera today. I ended up with an Olympus Stylus Tough. Waterproof (I know people who take them cliff diving) shock proof and even freezeable (I do live in Canada) I'm just giving it it's first charge right now. I'll be testing it in the next day or so. I'll keep you posted
I have two friends that have that one and they LOVE it. I wanted to get it last year when my old one died but it was a bit out of my price range. Let me know how it goes...

Quote:
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #41
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
I looked at SPOT today. That thing would be really comforting to have along riding in the back country like you do. The Gen 2 is on sale right now for $149.95 (reg $169.95) and the basic coverage package is $99.00 a year.
Well worth the money. I had actually bought one for a guy I used to date for Christmas one year. If I would have known that we would break up a month after Christmas I would've kept it for myself

Quote:
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #42
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,695
Which Olympus Stylus were you looking at? There are several .

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #43
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
Which Olympus Stylus were you looking at? There are several .
I saw one on sale at Wal-tard today...I think it was the something-850. I'll start researching online to see what I see...

Quote:
Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #44
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Thursday 07.15.2010

Today we hosted our first ADVer that I didn't previously know. ChrisUK stopped by for the night on his round the western US tour...great stories and experiences! He accompanied Josh to check out a possible bike (turned out to be a bust) and I went for a ride...

Out towards Marshall Pass again, but this time I took Silver Creek Rd (FR 201) First of about a dozen water crossings...

Nice, shady ride and pretty mellow...

FR 201 is a pretty easy, steady climb. Then I turned off onto Toll Road Gulch, which immediately goes into a steep switchback. This road was mostly off camber, a rut, loose powder and these flat rocks that were like riding on stacked playing cards, and then a sheer drop-off. This road did afford some great views, however...

At the top...of what I'm not sure. I think it may be a pass but I'll have to investigate the maps a bit more when I get home...

Quote:
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #45
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

On to Squirrel Creek Rd (FR 869) that eventually landed me at the old site for the Bonanza Mill, where I managed to startle a doe with a tiny fawn...but I didn't have the camera out:(

Lots more options to explore...

After stopping in Bonanza to read some more about the history of the town, I took off on CR LL56 which was a very easy gravel road. The sun was behind me and I liked the view in the mirror contrasted with my speeding shadow. I pulled over and got out Josh's camera and put the strap round my neck. It took several tries but I finally got this...

Almost to Villa Grove

I beat the boys back and started the grill warming up...time for burgers, beer and ChrisUK's tales of rides past!

Quote: