User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #46
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Oddometer: 1,264
Friday 07.16.2010

Today was the very definition of having absolutely no ambition. When we were seeing Chris off this morning, I noticed that my license plate had sheared off; I guess that road was even rougher than I thought.

After a lazy day of piddly chores around the apartment and a nap I went to the courthouse to get a new plate. I was too late, but since I reported it to the Sheriff's dept. they said I could still ride as long as I had my registration, insurance and a copy of the report with me.

So I went back home to change into my gear...and noticed that my rear wheel was a lil low. I headed straight for the gas station to air it up and within fifty yards I felt it go almost completely flat and on closer inspection saw some sort of metal poking out the sidewall of the tire. So back home to change it...and I didn't have the right tube. I knew by the time I got out to the shop and back and actually changed it I wouldn't have time to ride before work, so I did a bunch of errands instead. But I did technically ride today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
Don't worry. He'll still be a putz when you wake up.
dirtphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #47
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,671
Rocky Mountain magic. Looks great.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #48
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,527
I'm crazy about the toll road, rough enough to be interesting but easy enough to run a good pace. The view is spectacular and I like seeing the trail below snaking around the mountain.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #49
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
What scenery!!! That's some good shootin', Tex, er...Ren
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #50
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
Great Area

You know I live in a terrific area for dualsport riding about 50 miles SE of seattle,in a couple of hours you can be on the ocean or up in the cascade moutains and in eastern washington riding what looks like similar terrain as you ride only you get alot higher.The pictures you take on these day rides and then are back home to get off to work are awesome,what a great place to live to be able to do that.How many of those high passes are in your backyard?My brother inlaw and his wife just left yesterday on a bike trip on the Harleys they are heading over to Moab then east and are going to ride the million dollar hiway up out of Durango,does that get close to you at all?I'm not sure how Chinese philosophy comes into play but two wheels and those mountains will certainly teach a person something...E.
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #51
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

@ Klay- Thanks! This ride definitely reminded me why I love it here so much...

@katbeanz- I love this road too! I love 'discovering' this kind of thing on my own. There were several more roads I didn't get to, so I think the next several rides will all be in this area...

@East Coast Rider- The door's always open...bring your camera

Quote:
Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #52
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erg59
How many of those high passes are in your backyard?My brother inlaw and his wife just left yesterday on a bike trip on the Harleys they are heading over to Moab then east and are going to ride the million dollar hiway up out of Durango,does that get close to you at all?I'm not sure how Chinese philosophy comes into play but two wheels and those mountains will certainly teach a person something...E.
Off the top of my head...I can think of at least 10-12 dirt passes that I can easily get to and do in a day. There are probably a lot more; I haven't explored much north of here. There are at least that many paved passes as well.

Durango (where I used to live) is about 200 miles from here. The Million Dollar Hwy (US 550) is a spectacular road; they'll have a great time! So far my fave trip has been the Alpine Loop which is down there- dirt roads and passes bound by the towns of Silverton, Ouray and Lake City. I can take dirt almost exclusively to get there from here...

I'm not sure how Chinese philosophy works into this, either. All I know is that I've had a lot of things to ponder lately and alone in my helmet gives me a sense of peace that I don't easily get elsewhere. I'm sure some find it in a church pew or on a prayer mat but I never feel closer a higher power than when I'm in the middle of nowhere, either on foot or on two wheels. It's funny- the more difficult terrain I ride acts like a filter; it takes enough of my concentration that only the most pertinent issues come to my mind. In yoga we call it monkey mind- when it's constantly jumping from one thing to another and you can really determine what's important. Riding helps eliminate all that...

Quote:
Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #53
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtphoenix
All I know is that I've had a lot of things to ponder lately and alone in my helmet gives me a sense of peace that I don't easily get elsewhere. I'm sure some find it in a church pew or on a prayer mat but I never feel closer a higher power than when I'm in the middle of nowhere, either on foot or on two wheels.

I am much the same way...I am in church a great deal (I work at a church...), and like it, but not the crowds. It is just the difference in people. I would much rather be out in the middle of a salt marsh or along a deserted beach, or some untraveled road than crammed into a sanctuary with 400 people Some folks thrive around people, I do not. I can cope quite well, because the job requires it, but it wears me out. Time in the Fortress of Solitude (AKA my helmet) enjoying nature...that is the ticket.

I have two weeks of vacation coming up, and you can bet several days will involve copius amounts of time in the Fortress of Solitude
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #54
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

OK- a lil update...

I didn't get a chance to change my tube this weekend; work completely drained me. I planned to do it yesterday in time for a ride...but instead I ended up cutting the hell out of my toe and spending a couple hours in the ER getting it cleaned and stitched and getting a tetanus shot. Then I went to the restaurant where my boyfriend works to show off the damage and grab a beer. Ended up running into some friends and one beer turned into four or five as my foot swelled up and started throbbing in earnest. BUT...my friend Carl ended up coming over and helped me change it. All of this, by the way, was after working a 16 hour overnight shift. Let's just say I'll probably never again attempt to work on my bike after being awake for close to 30 hours...

So Lil Mule is all ready to go; got her new plate this morning. The swelling id down in my foot and it only hurts when I move it certain ways...and when putting on shoes, and so far I've only attemped open sandals. I don't know if I'll be able to get my boots on but I'll try this afternoon...

Quote:
Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #55
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,358
Pain is temporary. Just take it easy out there ok? Don't need you walking back from anywhere on that foot.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #56
WAGZ
n00b

Oddometer: 8
she's strong

ren will be out on the trail in no time hope your foot feels better.....
WAGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #57
Ogribike
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,812

Jim.
Ogribike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #58
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Ahem...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #59
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,955
Just curious. Whats going on in your world? Did your foot heal enough to get a boot on so you can take Lil mule out an show us some more pics? Or do the tyrants from that place you call work have you captured and only release you long enough to do thier evil bidding? I'm headed for Boise on the scooter Friday so I know it will be a good weekend for me. What do you have planned?

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #60
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

So...I got the stitches out last night. I had planned to ride late last week or early this week. Last week it was still too painful. This Monday or Tuesday I could have been riding; it felt good enough...but I decided to give it a couple more days to heal up good. We are leaving tomorrow morning for the Rocky Mountain Adventure Ride over in South Fork. This will be my first ADV rally and I decided I didn't want to risk re-injuring it.

Also, I have a girlfriend who is a fellow single mom and she's going thru a bit of a rough time. So I spent every day this week hanging out with her lil boy to give her a break. As much as I love to ride, the people in my life are way more important...

OH- and I got a new camera today! So I should be able to get lots of pics this weekend

Quote: