User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #76
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,127
Thumb

good on you, glad to hear you have a plan...I am so envious of your riding areas!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #77
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,361
Great start Ren. :)

I found that the battery in my new camera is very sensitive to cold. Put it against your body somewhere and let it warm up, it'll be good to go again.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #78
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,341
It's good to see you've been riding this summer Renee. Looks like you and Josh are having lots of fun!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #79
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Oddometer: 1,264
So I'll continue with the story and add pics later...

It started raining as we went up Engineer Pass Rd for the second time and I thought that it actually made the road a lil nicer; more tacky instead of loose like it usually is. But this was only Josh's second day on this particular bike so I wasn't sure how it was handling the conditions. I stopped a few times to make sure he was cool with it and we continued on.

The rain just got heavier the higher we got and we had the summit to ourselves...took a few pics and we were off!

The original plan was to go to the top of Cinnamon Pass and then back down to Animas Forks and on into Silverton to one of my favorite coffee shops...but we were freezing so we skipped Cinnamon and went straight to the coffee. In the 45 minutes we were there we dried out quite a bit and it stopped raining.

After gassing up we headed back out of town (where it started raining once again) to 4A Rd. Our target this time is Stony Pass, which someone at the campground the night before told us was really mellow. The Silverton side was pretty mellow and had some amazing views. I don't know if it was the weather or if it's just not as busy a pass as Engineer and Cinnamon but we didn't see anyone else on it...which to me made it even better

The Creede side of the pass had a couple of sections of pretty steep boulder fields. I was definitely glad we were going down them and not up; things were starting to get slick. Somewhere in here the road turns into FR 520. Lots of creek crossings and, with the weather being what it was, about 46,000 mud puddles. Some of those were bigger and deeper than the creek crossings...

Until we got to The Big One. I was in the lead and the road disappeared into a muddy hole. On the opposite side the road was split; if I crossed on the right side it was about 30 feet long and crossing on the left was about 20 feet. On my side the road forked to the right and I went that way first hoping for an easier crossing downstream...but it only went to a campsite. So I turned around and was trying to strighten my bike out so I wouldn't hit the creek at an angle. I wasn't feeling too confident about it and was girding myself mentally for a tip over. Finally I went in...and hit something about halfway across that threw me to the right. I got off and picked Lil Mule up as fast as I could and was surprised to find that the water was almost to my waist! Josh jumped in to help me push; the bottom was very mucky and suctioned the wheels. We got it to the other side and then he waded back to his bike. He crossed with no problem and parked his bike while we set to work trying to start mine. It wouldn't kick over so I told him to ride ahead and see how far it was to the nearest incline so we could bump it. And...then his bike wouldn't start. We pushed it down the road a bit and it finally started on the third try. Back to my bike; it started on the first bump and I rode it down the road looking for a wider place to turn around. There was nothing, so I tried doing a three point turn and it died. I tried pushing it up a lil hill myself and then dropped it turning downhill. Now I'm not going to lie- by this point I'm soaking wet, out of breath and pissed. Josh caught up and helped me get her up and she started on the first bump; he stayed on the throttle while I put my helmet and gloves back on.

From here to Hwy 149 it was a long slog down a very slippery, muddy road. We got to the gas station in Creede and I was shivering and shaking and had to pee VERY badly. Still raining and everything was slick...and I dropped my bike right in front of the pump. As soon as she was off balance I knew I didn't have the strength to hold her up...it was rather humiliating. And the cherry on top- the bathrooms were already shut down because the station was five minutes from closing. We headed for South Fork in the fading light and got there at dark.

After hitting the restroom at a gas station I was shivering almost uncontrollably. I thought about getting back to our cold, wet campground. I knew our tent would be dry and I would be warm in my bag...but I also knew that our gear wouldn't have a chance to dry out at all. So I turned into the Allington Inn on the edge of town. The poor desk clerk probably thinks I was in the middle of an epileptic fit; I could barely speak thru my chattering teeth.

We then went back to camp to grab our dry clothes and so no one would think that we disappeared. The bonfire was roaring and felt awesome. Even better, there were dinner rolls, potatoes and spanish rice left over from dinner! We piled a plate and sat by the fire while almost everyone else was watching the slideshow of the day's rides. Josh saw Big John (event organizer) and asked him if there were any steaks left over. There weren't, but he was kind enough to dig out chicken left from enchilada night and fried it up for us. Nothing has ever tasted so good! It's amazing how a belly full of hot food and bonfire can completely change my mood

We headed back to the motel and a long, hot shower. Everything but the boots dried out quite nicely by the next morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
Don't worry. He'll still be a putz when you wake up.

dirtphoenix screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 03:27 PM
dirtphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #80
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
sounds like you two where having a great time...high passes,deep water,hypothermia all that and long hot showers... epic.I'm jealous.
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #81
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #82
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erg59
sounds like you two where having a great time...high passes,deep water,hypothermia all that and long hot showers... epic.I'm jealous.
Epic it was! But I hope my next adventure is a lil drier...

Quote:
Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #83
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Nothing quite so unpleasant as cold and wet.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #84
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Sunday 08.01.2010

You're right, Mike. Thankfully Sunday was nice and sunny as we got our camp packed up. We headed west on 160 towards Wolf Creek Pass and got off on a dirt road. We took the first intersecting road to the right, which just ended up at a very muddy turn-around after a few miles. There were some good views but I wasn't in much of a picture-taking mood. Back to the main road and then we took the next intersection to the left. This road was a bit more fun and dead-ended at a gate where we took a lil snack break.

As we sat in the sun for awhile the clouds started building up so we decided to head back home.

Between Saguache and Villa Grove...

The ride was mostly uneventful and we stopped in Villa Grove for burgers and amazing chocolate pie. RMAR is officially over!

Quote:
Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #85
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,806
What a great story!

Girl, just squat to pee. You don't need facilities.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #86
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Tuesday 08.10.2010

The rest of the first week of August was spent mt biking, road biking, hiking and Josh getting a moto of his own! A 1990 Suzuki 250. So after a weekend of graveyard shifts I'm ready to ride! We decide to head up CR 240 out of Maysville. Josh's bike isn't street legal yet, so I ride Lil Mule and he hauls his up in his truck to a trailhead where he parks. Our destination: North Fork Reservoir

Choices, choices...

First we head left to the Reservoir...

Josh's bike dies and refuses to start in the thin air. After much pushing she comes to life and we head up to Billings Lake, the road option to the right at the fork...

The road gets pretty sketchy above the lake. I was in the lead and continued on from where I stopped to take the pics. Once I got a bit higher I can see that it doesn't loop around like I thought it did. I decide to turn around and go back to the last fork I saw in the road, hopefully before Josh catches up. I start down in and then stop when the road seems to disappear over a ledge. But it's already too steep to turn my bike around. I park it and scout the road below on foot...

At the bottom of that hill the road levelled out and looped back down to the lake. After walking it I can see that there are good lines to the extreme left or the extreme right; the middle is crap. But...so are my skills, it seems. I can't get going fast enough to keep my balance standing without going too fast to head into the super steep part. I tip over twice, one for each side, and then end up walking the bike down. I'm disappointed with myself....

...and then I get REALLY disappointed with myself when I get down to the easy part of the road. I'm cruising along, not paying enough attention and suddenly there's a sharp right bend in the road. It's loose, I'm going too fast and I grab too much brake: low side in the middle of the road. Right in front of an older couple camping out of their van. The man comes to see if I need help as I pick it up and I say, "That'll teach me to pay more attention!" They invite me over for fresh, hot apple cider and to roast marshmallows over their fire! Josh catches up and we eat some marshmallows and share some conversation until it starts sprinkling. All in all a pretty good ride

Quote:
Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #87
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Friday 08.13.2010

I've got two and half hours before I need to start getting ready for work. So I decide to head over to the Wellsville loop to see how fast I can do it...
The road this year is a lot rougher than I remember from last year. And they seem to be doing some work to it, especially where it crosses Badger Creek. In fact, it looked so different I had to get off and poke around to get my bearings...

I continue on and stop to get a pic and check the time on my phone...which it turns out I forgot to bring...

So I hightail it to Howard and the Old River Road, which dumps me back out at Wellsville. I'm about half a mile from Hwy 50 and I pass an old truck on the side of the road. The driver waves and yells as I pass, so I turn around to see if he needs help. Something about the safety switch being broken and he can't get it started; he needs to pop the clutch. But first we need to push it into the middle of the road. The front passenger tire is over the edge of the drainage and it's up to its rim in mud. I don't think there's any way we can do it with just the two of us...but I was wrong! Push starting it is another matter; we can't get it going fast enough. I tell him I'll go get my Jeep and he suggests I stop at the next house first. I do, and find out the truck in the driveway doesn't run. As I'm getting ready to head back to Salida I see that someone else has stopped. I go back just as they get it started. Whew! I was happy to help but it would've been cutting it close to when I had to be to work...

Quote:
Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #88
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,532
Cool! I've always been curious about what's up above Maysville. I think it's pride of the west mine that has a big fancy cut stone entrance, just seen pictures. I'm following along in garmin mapsource topo and watching Dysco's progress on the 50/50 ride.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kTg1IxtHY8OCxz
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #89
dirtphoenix OP
from the ashes...

Nice! GS Dave was telling us about it last night; I can't imagine doing some of those passes on a GS!!! Lil Mule and I might give it a go next year...

@Klay- Thanks! We go to NE to get the boy back tomorrow...so riding will go on hold for a few more days. I gotta catch up on my snuggles

Most of the time I don't mind squatting. But I was already so freezing cold I didn't want to expose myself more than I had to. Plus I was hoping for warm water to wash my numb hands. And, above all else, I was shaking so much I was sure I would just pee all over my boots:)

Quote:
Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #90
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Ahem.