User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,043
Hard-wiring a Spot?

Any solutions out there to wire up a Spot to bike power instead of using batteries? I'm told that the Spot doesn't have an external power input, so it would have to be wired in through the battery compartment?
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,126
Question

? Anybody ?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
I haven't given it a bunch of thought but considering it only has 2 aa's, it aint running 12v so you're gonna have to knock the voltage down. Batteries last so long it's ridiculious, any gas station has AA's, 2 spare AA's weigh nothing and take no space so packing spares is a non issue. Plus there's no where to plug in so you'd have to butcher the case some how. I know it's not what you asked and I'm sure it can be done but I can't imagine bothering.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Lithium batteries

SPOT recommends using Lithium batteries in their units. I just replaced my set from 24 months ago and they were still going strong. I think a set will last you better than a year.

You are looking at around $2-3 per YEAR.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar
Any solutions out there to wire up a Spot to bike power instead of using batteries? I'm told that the Spot doesn't have an external power input, so it would have to be wired in through the battery compartment?
I routinely convert battery-operated things to hard-wired stuff...usually AC-adapted for anything around the house that doesn't move much, I figure why use batteries.

For on-the-bike hardwiring, it's even simpler.

It's a quick trip to the Radioshack to pick up an LM317 voltage regulator, and associated resistors. The basic simple circuit construction you're interested in is even printed on the bag the LM317 is packaged in. Pick up a project box and breadboard while you're there, and some connectors so you can hook it up & disconnect it conveniently. Wire it up so that your 12v current is dropped down to 3v, and you're golden. Dirt cheap.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,535
Mine have been going for 2 years

I've left it on for weeks and weeks, still on original batteries
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
I change the batteries in mine once a year just to play it safe. I carry a spare set with me, they will become next years new batteries if not needed before then. I just swapped out the batteries after lots of use last year and the start of this year. I put the old ones in my handheld backup GPS and it shows them still at full power. I could always rob them back if I really need a third set.

I can't see a good reason to want to wire it to the bike, but anything is possible if you really feel its needed. I'd look for a car charger adapter for a phone that has the correct voltage output to use. You may need to have batteries in the SPOT to stabilize the power, which would likely mean using a rechargable AA of the correct type to suit the charger.

Seems more complicated than its worth, but good luck with the project.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
spot wiring

Perhaps you may want to use the SPOT away from the bike at some point (boating, hiking, etc), for the low battery use it has, I would be hesitant to start cutting or hacking the case and compromise seals or ability to use away from a 12V source?

For GPS and other devices that eat batteries (typically a few days), different story.

However, it is entirely your choice so please don't take this advice as a criticism, just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
I change the batteries in mine once a year just to play it safe. I carry a spare set with me, they will become next years new batteries if not needed before then. I just swapped out the batteries after lots of use last year and the start of this year. I put the old ones in my handheld backup GPS and it shows them still at full power. I could always rob them back if I really need a third set.

I can't see a good reason to want to wire it to the bike, but anything is possible if you really feel its needed. I'd look for a car charger adapter for a phone that has the correct voltage output to use. You may need to have batteries in the SPOT to stabilize the power, which would likely mean using a rechargable AA of the correct type to suit the charger.

Seems more complicated than its worth, but good luck with the project.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Whoops! Had an accident. Bike is down the cliffside, your not. Now what?
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
huzar OP
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn
Well, if the SPOT had been in the RAM cradle then it would be down the cliff side as well, regardless of whether it is hard-wired in or battery-powered.

Thanks to those that contributed technical info -- the new SPOT apparently takes 3 AAA batteries, and will last 6-7 days on tracking mode. I'll put that to the test next week when I go to WestWest and the MT1000
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Well, if the SPOT had been in the RAM cradle then it would be down the cliff side as well, regardless of whether it is hard-wired in or battery-powered.

Thanks to those that contributed technical info -- the new SPOT apparently takes 3 AAA batteries, and will last 6-7 days on tracking mode. I'll put that to the test next week when I go to WestWest and the MT1000
As others have said, why bother and mess you the case.
You could put your spot in your pocket and it would still work on batteries, in the rare even it disappears over a cliff and you don't.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:

I typically got almost 3 weeks of daytime tracking + daily OK message from the 3 AAA super lithium batteries in the SPOT II.
YRMV

Have fun on the ride!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
You'll never cover every little what if, but unless I'm in imminent danger of death in this scenario my loved ones will find me before morning because of the system I have in place. Hopefully everyone else has one too.

What if you foget to turn your tracking on and get knocked out and can't press help? OMG I better get a second SPOT for back up, carry a sat phone at least one big machette (from the knife thread), a couple cans of bear spray, probably at least 2 guns in case one jams or gets lost. Oh shit I ride a KTM I better have a water pump kit, fuel pump, and a slave cylinder too, how could I ever get home without? Oh man I need extra gas too, since I can't read a map or ask directions and plan I'm gonna carry a litre since that's the amount that will make the difference. Ahh fuck it I'm gonna stay right here in the blanket cave on my bed with a flashlight, it's much less scary than living life. dacrazyrn this wasn't directed at you just a vent at some of the paranoia I see on here.

Edit, sorry for the rant and hijack, I'm a jerk off. lol

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
For me it's SPOT, cell phone, and wallet. Each one has a pocket.

The bike doesn't have to be down a cliff or something dramatic to be un-reachable. Your bike could be 10 feet away over clear ground and you could still have trouble getting to (or finding) your SPOT depending on the extent of the damage to your and/or your bike.

But I must admit though, I don't leave that tracker on constantly. I wish you could configure it to send less frequently if you wanted. One ping every 4-6 hours would probably be fine for me. The default setup drags battery too much.

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
You'll never cover every little what if, but unless I'm in imminent danger of death... dacrazyrn this wasn't directed at you just a vent at some of the paranoia I see on here.
I am a good Boy Scout, avid hiker, survivalist, and week + long backpacking type, so I do prepare for everything that could possibly go wrong, and usually have things to remedy those problems. Almost everything I take has at least a dual purpose in use. So a lot of the paranoia you see may just be good planning, and not relying on someone else to save your butt.
And yes, I do carry a machete with me and sometimes a gun, too!
Venting is good, trip :
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote