User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #16
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
One ping every 4-6 hours would probably be fine for me.
You can sure cover allot of ground in 4-6 hours though and be no where near the last location.

Quote:
so I do prepare for almost everything that could possibly go wrong
Fixed it for ya, but there's no replacement for good planning like you say.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
charging paddles.... CLEAR!

reviving this thread...

got a spot 2 recently.. got it so I can use the tracking function and my friends/family can see where I am. I wish it could be changed to every 15 or 20 minutes, but alas.. that is not the case... Also, I wish that there was a hardwire option.. That way, i'll never had to worry about batteries.. I bought this thing specifically for my motorcycle trips and it'll stay in the cradle when I'm riding. What if I take a 3 week trip up to Alaska? I don't want to have to worry about batteries.. or packing extras..

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron... if someone figures out a way to do this, please post...

TomDac screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 02:13 PM
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
I had a Panasonic FRS radio that I hardwired by making a plastic block the size of the battery pac with brass contact strips and small teflon wires through a small hole in the battery case cover to a correct power source with an SAE 2 prong connector. I also bought another battery cover so I could put it back stock.

On the other topic....as a helicopter pilot flying over water, I came to the conclusion that "If it ain't tied to my ass, it will not leave the aircraft with me" school of thought for survival gear! Your results may vary....

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
I think you are trying too hard and then possibly the Spot will not be waterproof and you may not then be ablet o use it remotely to the bike.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
reviving this thread...

got a spot 2 recently.. got it so I can use the tracking function and my friends/family can see where I am. I wish it could be changed to every 15 or 20 minutes, but alas.. that is not the case... Also, I wish that there was a hardwire option.. That way, i'll never had to worry about batteries.. I bought this thing specifically for my motorcycle trips and it'll stay in the cradle when I'm riding. What if I take a 3 week trip up to Alaska? I don't want to have to worry about batteries.. or packing extras..

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron... if someone figures out a way to do this, please post...
I don't know about the spot 2 but on my oldie with fresh lithiums you wouldn't even need to consider turning it off for 3 weeks. No problem at all, if you need more batteries they're available every 1-1.5 hours all the way there.

PG007
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
axelwik
Yep

Oddometer: 394
You can't push the 911 button if you're unconscious.

But I have one just in case, and it's nice to be able to send an OK message to loved ones when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I carry it on my person.

Also carry a handgun where its legal (I have a license to do so). Just in case...

And carry water, a few granola bars, tools, and tire repair stuff. Depending on the ride also carry a first aid kit and some extra clothes in case I get stuck. Adds weight to the bike, but I'd rather be with than without.

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym

axelwik screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 10:39 AM
axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #22
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can't push the 911 button if you're unconscious.
That's why the track feature is so important IMO, if you haven't checked in at the end of the day at least they have a starting point to send help to.

PG007
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
I don't know about the spot 2 but on my oldie with fresh lithiums you wouldn't even need to consider turning it off for 3 weeks. No problem at all, if you need more batteries they're available every 1-1.5 hours all the way there.
Good to hear.. I'm taking a weekend trip this weekend and will have the spot on in "tracking mode" the whole while...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Left my spot 2 on tracking mode for 7 hours on Saturday and then again on Sunday for 8 hours. Did several "I'm ok" messages during the day and batteries are still ok. Good to know.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
reviving this thread...

I was going to come in here and revive with the same cornie "CLEAR!" intro... bastard.

Anyway, I'm seriously looking into hardwiring my Spot messenger. I didn't think it would be that much of an issue finding batteries until I spent a couple of months in Mexico where I just can't seem to find the lithium Ion batteries.

While touring, I typically leave the tracker on from the moment I get on the bike to the moment I set up camp. This can be anywhere from five to twelve hours. At that rate, I can typically get four to six days out of a set of batteries before the red light blinks. They then get switched over to my headlamp and milked for every last drop. I came across the border with nearly a dozen AAAs, but now I'm down to my last set. And at nearly $10 a pack, it just seems to be a waste.

Not considering the SPOT tracker never leaves my bike, I figured I might as well hardwire it directly into the bike battery. Even if I forget to turn it off overnight, I doubt it will drain the battery to the point that I can't start the bike.

So I did a little snooping. The batteries pulled from my SPOT just as the low battery light came on read 1.67V each. New, I believe the lithium batteries are 1.75V or something like that. This gives me a range of between 5V and 5.25V.

Now most car charger, for your cell phone, USB, IPOD, whatever, seem to have an output right in that range. The simplest way to go about this, I think, would be to grab the most compact phone charger I can find and cannibalize it. I'd like to cover the circuit board in a layer of epoxy to water proof/shock proof it as much as possible, then see about fitting it into the battery compartment. If space proves to be an issue, it's just a matter of mounting it on the outside. The biggest problem I have with this would be the small hole I would have to drill in the water resistant cover to run a wire out, but with some glue or epoxy it shouldn't be an issue.

I've seen people make slugs for hardwiring battery devices out of appropriately sized dowels or pieces of bamboo with the contact points in the right places. That might be an option.

Anyway, as of now this has all just been in my head. Lots of helmet time, you know. When I get back to the states where I can put some time into it I'd like to see how this will come to reality. The only issue I can even really imagine is the amount of juice that the PING pulls from the batteries, and whether or not the cell charger can provide that. The charger I have right besides me is listed at 5.0 volts which is at the far lower end of the scale. But even if the low battery indicator is on with that supply, it would still PING, so it may not be an issue.

I'll post what I come up with when I come up with it. Hell, I might even get a little production run going for some gas money.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
I was just wondering about this also.... I just had a car stolen from my apartment complex. And my bike is alot easier to steal, and worth alot more than my car that got jacked.

I was wondering about some vehicle tracking systems.... But the spot service is cheaper than any of the gps tracking serivces...

If you could hard wire it and leave it on all the time, that would be nice. Just put it under the seat, so a perp might not notice it right away.

Anyway, just a thought..

Ryan
Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
I was just wondering about this also.... I just had a car stolen from my apartment complex. And my bike is alot easier to steal, and worth alot more than my car that got jacked.

I was wondering about some vehicle tracking systems.... But the spot service is cheaper than any of the gps tracking serivces...

If you could hard wire it and leave it on all the time, that would be nice. Just put it under the seat, so a perp might not notice it right away.

Anyway, just a thought..

Ryan
It isn't very difficult, just needs an application of cash.

Buy a spare battery cover from Spot, they're available, but you do have to contact them and ask for it.
Buy a 12v/USB adapter from nearly anywhere. The USB pinout is very simple - the red wire is 5V+, the black wire is 5V-, the other two can be tied off and insulated, you don't need them. 5V is what the Spot 2 runs on, and an adapter supplies 1A, which is enough to power the device.
Cut the non-flat end of the USB cable off, strip back the wires and fix them to the positive and negative battery leads. If this is a permanent installation, solder 'em. If not, rig up a quick connect so you can revert to batteries when you need to.
Stash it somewhere in the fairing, under the seat might be too well shielded for the signal to get out.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
I can run 10 days of 12-14 hours with full tracking and custom message every 2-3 hours before the batteries turn the lights red. I can then go at least another full day on red before needing a whopping 3 more aaa batteries.
I stop for gas every 300ish miles, so if I ever need some I'm golden. Harwiring is nice but too much effort for too little return. If it was like my GPS that lasts for a whopping 3 hours, it's a different story.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I specifically bought an oldie spot (1) for this reason. Battery life is near double. Using tracking 10 hours a day, every day, they still last 2-3 months.

I change batteries once a year on normal years. Twice a year if I go on a huge ride.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Wow, I get 2 days with tracking on my Spot messenger before the batteries are done and I get no warning - it just shuts off. It gets expensive!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote