User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,641
Regbafazool & Nixels ride a slow bike fast and a fast bike slow up the Hudson

As we headed down the West Side Hwy into the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, the rain came down in a torrent. Although we had successfully traversed a round trip 140 miles up the lower Hudson and back with less than 10 miles to Regbafazool's castle on the Slope, the flooded roadbed next to the World Trade Center was 18" deep in water. We were awash in city effluvia as it splashed up on us along with our own wakes. Lens's smeared and befogged, bodies drenched to the bone in the Summer's torrent, cabbies and trucks, SUV's and Mini's all tried to pass us or plow us under. Yes, these were the final moments of a ride that had started earlier in the day. Girard almost went down on an oil patch heading into the tunnel but kept it upright and pointed in the direction of home. As we came out of the tunnel, a bolt of lightning smote Brooklyn, and a rainbow appeared. It was an adventure worth taking - and telling.

Regbafazool has a taste for the exotic and beautiful when it comes to bikes - whether it be a vintage ride or something current. If you've ever visited Curvy's Antique Motorcycle Thread you may have seen his Indian or Sunbeam or parts of his Henderson. Girard also has a thing for fast Italian bikes. The guy's got not one but two bad habits and he's figured out a way to pursue them successfully.

I'll start the story where many an adventure begins with me - empty the bladder while ya can. Lot's of people show their meals, but I thought I'd share a private moment with you.

The basement bathroom looks out on the back yard - bucolic peace in Park Slope - who knew?

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

On Friday, I came by for an adventure in the mini-van. Girard had the bikes under cover, but he'd been charging their batteries for almost a week. Here you see the sleeping beasts prior to departure:

And the transformation 24 hours later - their latent potential for fun can be seen through the wrought iron of desire.

Last minute preparations - make sure the saddle bags are securely closed.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer: 597
Nixels wrote:
Quote:
Last minute preparations - make sure the saddle bags are securely closed.

I often wish that I only had the one set of saddlebags......but, alas, the picture
tells the whole story! Mind you, the soaking-wet t-shirt occured well
before the rains fell.

Yes, the bikes were prepared days in advance of Nicky's arrival here in NYC:
primarily consisting of battery trickle-charging, yes, a 12volt for the Ducati
Multistrada, and 6V for the '46 Chief, checking tire pressures, and adding
copious amounts of 60W oil to the Indian's tank!

The general plan was to have Nicky sample both flavors on this ride. He
started out on the Ducati. The Multistrada being somewhat less of a learning curve for him, since his own Ducati Elefant is basically the googily-
eyed step-father of the Multi. Sort of. Then, at some point, he would
attempt to prove his manhood by sliding onto the hand-shift, foot clutch,
Indian of famed biking lore!

The procrastination had ended. The espresso was drained. The digital cameras were set on "stun"!

Regbafazool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
Sweet bikes, Nixels up in NYC
Some us some more pics of the Indian. That motorcycle is indeed.................. STUNNING
Old 06-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

We tried to coerce my brother Gregory to come along on his '46 Harley Forty-
Five, but he was nowhere to be found on this day?

Oh well..........Nicky already experienced the comfort of this sheepskin-covered, barcalounger on his last visit to the Brooklyn House of Bitch'n Sleds.

Next time we'll get this one out on the road so he can experience the burn of
switching back & forth with opposite-acting foot clutch engagements!

As it was, we had plenty of machinery on-hand to fulfill our endless need
for V-twin propulsion!

Question was: Could Nicky really stay on the pace driving that 'fast' bike
slow? Did he know what the fast speed of my 'slow' bike
was?

We were on our way to find out...............

Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,250
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,963
I think this is gonna be good.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

I'd be remiss in my duties as a Ride Reporter if I didn't post a food shot. It's not bacon, but it has almost all the other elements of an ADV shot. (No bewbies)

But that was a day earlier, and the trip was ready to begin. Could I keep the Multi putting along at slow speeds and not get bored or ride circles around roughshod Regbafazool?

We had to make a stop before the ride got underway. Them ol' Indians are thirsty for the firewater. About 23 mpg. and with a 3 gallon tank, there's a somewhat shorter range than the modern Bavarian moto-camel.

As you can see, Girard has the attitude of a killer. He brooks no shit from the gas pump. Ah, underway in Brooklyn.

We'll take the Brooklyn Bridge over and cross Manhattan at the narrow end to the West Side Highway.

We made it across the bridge just fine. They filled in the metal grate roadbed - maybe even before I left in '99 and I'll tell ya, it's a lot less nerve-wracking to be riding on a surface rather than intersections of polished steel that you can see through to the East River below.

My old neighborhood - we're headed West on Chambers St., and I lived one block south on Warren between Church and West Broadway in the old days.

You saw by Girard's shirt that it was hot and humid - well it didn't get any better on the West Side Hwy. I was in a mesh jacket, so I should be ok for the heat - other weather, well I don't know...

Once through town, things opened up north of 57th St. when the WSH gets elevated and you get a great view of Jersey, the boat basin at 79th - oh and those shiny kinda-new Trump Turds uh Towers.

Then over the George Washington Bridge and into New Jersey on the Palisades Parkway.

Next stop, Newburgh - no matter.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
JohnyCakes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207

STEAMFITTERS LOCAL 638 NYC & LI
JohnyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

After years of long distance journeys on antique motorbikes, the one thing
I've eventually learned through experience is that weather can happen!

So why is it that I still spend way too many precious moments online looking
at weather forecasts?? You know, the kind with an hour-by-hour break-down of what's to come. Then when a riding buddy arrives, I instantly
adopt the 'Zen and the art of disregarding weather-concern attitude'.

Everyone knows that you just have to go...................

After all, I'm the same tough adventurer that took my Indian Chief on the
famed Midnight Run this year! http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/rid...run/index.html

This set-up got me through several hours of 7 degree frigid air.

What could possibly faze me on this gentle jaunt along the Hudson river?
Certainly no "Californian" was going to show me how to weather the weather!

Wow, did I really lend Nicky my perforated jacket ?!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550

Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regbafazool
After years of long distance journeys on antique motorbikes, the one thing
I've eventually learned through experience is that weather can happen!

What could possibly faze me on this gentle jaunt along the Hudson river?
Certainly no "Californian" was going to show me how to weather the weather!

Wow, did I really lend Nicky my perforated jacket ?!

Yep, you toggle pretty well between old-timey and modern technology, but maybe you slip a gear when loaning gear?

Girard says "It's not gonna rain. Shit, Nicky take the mesh jacket. I really don't want you getting my good jacket all soaked and smelly from yer sweat

What the boy don't remember is that I grew up where there's 250 days of rain every year. I don't think I ever made a whole year where I didn't get caught at least once in a rainstorm.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
Nixels OP
Face fears - live life

Now where is that Girard? I'm carryin' the load here on this joint Ride Report.

We rode along the Palisades Parkway and the wind blew threw that mesh jacket cooling me down and making the muggy weather bearable. It was lush and green out here along the Hudson. I had forgotten just how green it is. Just look at the shrubs behind me as we get into Newburgh.

That is compared to this from last week outside my place:

Of course it's a gratuitous California Pussy shot, whaddya think?

Attitude, that's what ya gotta have around here and we got plenty to spare. Of course we were melting while waiting for traffic to move.

Now about the ride up. I was on the Multistrada and it rode very similar to the 'Fant - only smoother or not as edgy, or something. True, the engine is bigger, faster and newer, but it seemed less likely to rip my arms off. And the seat is lower and more comfortable than the Elefant. I like the positions of the controls - but the foot pegs bash my ankles when I put my foot down. That's annoying as hell.

We stopped on the Palisades Parkway to get gas, and I'd been thinking of this guy, Marty that Girard knows. He's got a bunch of bikes, and I thought I might run into him, but then I didn't. As I come out of the store, Girard's talking to the guy on a Duc that was there when we pulled up. He's got his helmet on, but Girard says - "You guys know each other - that's Marty, Nicky."

Girard had been thinking about him too, so it was a weird (really it's pretty common to have this happen) thing. Marty was headed up to Bear Mtn. with a buddy of his in a fast-looking brand new trike thing with wheels in the front.

The Indian drank all the firewater Girard could give it as we were just less than half way, it seemed like a good time to stop. I remembered how odd it was when I moved to NYC that the roads were called Parkways and Throughways - that they were toll roads and all were much more limited access than the freeways in Texas and out West. It must be because the roads are newer out West - or the distances are longer, but it seems like they don't have nearly the same quantity of gas stations and off ramps in the East. So you ride along with no real view to civilization - no houses, truckstops, shops, businesses or any other real sign of settlement along the way - just trees until an exit or gas station comes into view.

And the gas stations on the Palisades are in the middle of the road - they do this all over the East Coast - a centrally located station in the middle of the roadway, so each direction can stop in that station. There are no competing stations on different corners or down the street - just one choice for gas and food.

We watched the signs for Newburgh, but must have missed the cutoff. Yes, I had the Garmin turned on, but Girard was showing me how the slow bike went fast, and I kinda left it in his hands to navigate for us. We got somewhere and there was a sign to get off this road - and that Newburgh was there off in the distant East. At first I thought we were a couple of miles at the most, but finally realized that we were farther West than I anticipated, and then a bit north. So we ended up doing about 80 miles instead of the supposed 70. Again, for some reason that last ten miles felt longer than it was.

We stopped and called Jack, but he didn't answer and his message center isn't set up to receive any. I've had his work cell for a long time and didn't know that he'd gotten a personal one again. Jack doesn't like to communicate freely - it's a little more labored than that.

I left a message and we took a few pix - well Girard did.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Nixels wrote:
Quote:
Now where is that Girard? I'm carryin' the load here on this joint Ride Report.
Ok, ok.........I'm still here! Sheesh! You need to sip on one of those wheat-
grass juice, goats milk, quinoa serenity health shakes when you get back home today! You're gettin' a little too comfortable with that
New York minute shtick! Like chill dude!

Looking at all of these pictures of Nicky's, I'm starting to worry that I will lose
my "nice-guy" Midwestern roots image! You would almost think that I
was obsessed with the ADVrider salute. It's not true, it's not true!