Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,930
New AFX FX-41 Adventure Helmet

New AFX FX-41 Adventure Helmet

Fellow ADVRiders,

Our helmet friends up in Canada, AFX Helmets, are releasing a new dual sport / adventure touring helmet in 2014. This new model is the AFX FX-41.

The new FX-41 does not replace the other dual sport helmet in their line the AFX FX-39. Instead, the FX-41 will run in along side the 39. It does have a slightly different feature set and very different styling though. The FX-41 is a much (ahem) more aggressively styled helmet, with lots of angles and shape. The overall shell is larger, and the "drop" of the chin bar hangs much lower. There are more vents (17) and they are distributed more evenly around the helmet shell. The liner material and composition is similar to the 39, which is a little toward the budget end of the spectrum. But, coming from the same factory, the fit and build quality are very similar.

Some pics:

Orange:

White:

Matte Black:

Frost (matte) Gray:

Silver:

Yellow:

Apart from the styling, the most notable feature on the FX-41 is that it has an internal drop-down sun visor.

This is operated by a slider on the left side of the helmet:

The inner shield will be supplied with a dark smoke tint. The action on it is a little heavy, frankly not as light as most. However, it is a nice feature, and makes the helmet a lot more versatile. Combined with the styling, the FX-41 will probably cross over into the streetfighter / stunter segments.

Build quality is good. Not premium helmet level, but good, particularly for the price point. The shield seals well, all the plastic pieces fit well, paint finish is good, etc. Considering the FX-41 is made in the same factory as the FX39, it makes sense that build quality and workmanship are similar.

The weight is similar to most other DS helmets. Our XL sample is 3.82 lbs, slightly heavier than the FX-39 and Arai XD4, but similar to the Shoei Hornet, LS2 MX453, and Icon Variant. A little of this weight is from the quick release strap, and certainly also from the inner shield.

FIT: The fit of the FX-41 is completely different than the 39. Based on the sizes L and XL samples we got, our initial impression is that the 41 follows a more typical sizing. The FX-41 sizes is more close to the Fly Trekker, and along typical sizing. Our two testers measure at 24” and 24.125”, and both wore the XL (both wore an L in the 39). It does seem slightly less oval than the 39, shorter front>back. Not a lot, but noticeable. Our guess is that the inner drop-down shield has a play in this. Here is a size chart for reference:

We have had a sample of the 41 for quite some time, and rode in it several times. It is a little loud (to be expected, with all the angles and vents and whatnot) but not really louder than the 39. There is little or no lift at speeds up to 70, we did not try it faster than that. Shield clarity is great, AFX learned their lesson with the old FX-37.

The FX-41 is not an early-wave product like the FX-39, but it is still unique. It is one of very few DS helmets with an inner drop-down shield. It does not blow up the category, but it has good build quality, nice features, and at a very accessible price. The 39 did a great job hitting that same basic target, and we expect the 41 will also. That is a good thing.

For more info on the FX-41, go to www.atomic-moto.com/fx41

For more dual sport helmets, go to www.atomic-moto.com/dual-sport-helmets

Thanks,

BP
Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 04:16 PM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Delivery

Delivery Info

The FX-41 is a new model, and has not yet released. They have missed a few arrival dates for various reasons already, but the good news is that they have arrived to the USA (2nd most important milestone), cleared customs (most important milestone), and are on ground transit to the vendor warehouse. We expect they will be shipping to us just after the new year, and that we will be able to ship pre-orders approximately the week of Jan 6 - 10. There may be a little leeway there, but we do believe that is an accurate date.

Please note that some sizes and colors will be limited. Feel free to contact us if you want any info.

Thanks,

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 05:35 PM
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 701
Any anti-fogging differences between the 41 shield and the 39 shield? I know it somewhat of a dumb question considering everything fogs to some extent, but I do like to ride in cooler conditions.

Edited, the 39 liner is removable for washing.

Ghost_Mutant screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 10:19 PM Reason: wrong info on 39 liner
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Any anti-fogging differences between the 41 shield and the 39 shield? I know it somewhat of a dumb question considering everything fogs to some extent, but I do like to ride in cooler conditions.

I really like that the 41 is back to washable liners. The 37 had it and its sad that the 39 does not.
GM, do not yet know about the fogging. Regarding the washable liners, the 39 was removable / washable. Did it myself. I am not sure where you heard that, can you advise?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
PM'd.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Excellent!!

Smart to be careful removing. Frankly, most of the time I wash my helmets in the sink without removing the liner. It's easier, it works, and....I'm a hack!!

The liners are available in theory, but they are usually out of stock. Let me know what size and I will check.

The 37 was made in a different factory. Liner probably was sturdier, but the 37 had all sorts of other problems. In general, the 39 is a better helmet.

Thanks,
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 701
I agree completely that the 39 is better than the 37. I haven't worn the 37 since I got the 39. Protecting my head in a crash is most important and the fit of the 39 is about perfect for my head. Yes it was tight when I first got it, but it broke in nicely.

The nit picks about the 39 are just that, nits.

Hopefully the 41 is better yet

I see you deleted a post, I will do the same and edit my first to clean up the thread a bit. I'll delete this one too, just send me a PM that you agree.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Does the 41 have more positions for where the shield will stay open? The 39 is either closed or open several inches which is a pain when you want to keep the shield from fogging and it should only be .5 inches open
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Does the fx-41 have a better side than the 39 for mounting a Sena headset.

I read that the 39 is better than the 41 for wearing goggles. Can you wear goggles on the 41 without removing the shield?

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Gentlemen, will check these and reply ASAP.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
Does the fx-41 have a better side than the 39 for mounting a Sena headset.
I have had the FX39 for more than a year and like it, but the shield was getting pretty bad, and I was thinking about upgrading to the 41, but I ended up just replacing the shield (Thanks Brian!) for a couple reasons.
1, I'm a cheap bastard.
2, As far as I know the 41 doesn't have the quick release, which I'm now used to and don't want to go back to the D rings.
And 3, I have bent my mounting plate (and added longer screws with little spacers) on my Sena just right to fit on the 39, and in looking at the 41, it seems it would be even harder to mount the Sena. So I'm curious about the answer to this question.
Good job Atomic Moto for their excellent service and great product descriptions and vids.
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
I have had the FX39 for more than a year and like it, but the shield was getting pretty bad, and I was thinking about upgrading to the 41, but I ended up just replacing the shield (Thanks Brian!) for a couple reasons.
1, I'm a cheap bastard.
2, As far as I know the 41 doesn't have the quick release, which I'm now used to and don't want to go back to the D rings.
And 3, I have bent my mounting plate (and added longer screws with little spacers) on my Sena just right to fit on the 39, and in looking at the 41, it seems it would be even harder to mount the Sena. So I'm curious about the answer to this question.
Good job Atomic Moto for their excellent service and great product descriptions and vids.
Will check the other details, but the 41 DOES have the same quick release as the FX-39.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Will check the other details, but the 41 DOES have the same quick release as the FX-39.

BP
Oops... Yup, you are correct, I misspoke, thinking about another helmet. Cool!
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
AleksanderTheGreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
based on this picture, the visor should have 5 detents for position.

AleksanderTheGreat screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 08:28 PM
AleksanderTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeinbreed View Post

Also, based on this picture, the visor should have 5 detents for position.

Hello Dyeinbreed.

You are correct, that is the final system for the shield detent. I still need to post a pic of the 1st position though.

Thanks Dyeinbreed!!

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 08:53 PM