http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #722
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Recieved my Butler Colorado and Utah Backcountry maps today! We plan to connect the two to make a mega trip out of them.
Excellent product Bill, I cant recomend them enough!
Thank you,

Frank Reinbold

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
We are planning on doing the same thing and I have both maps sitting here in front of me. How many days are you giving yourself to do both? I was really looking forward to starting in UT, but it looks like most people in my group want to start with CO to make sure we do all of it, so tentatively looking at parking the vehicles in Durango, CO and head into Delores where we'll pick up the COBDR heading north. We'll be skipping the 4 corners as we have seen that before. We'll follow the entire COBDR north as layed out, but not sure where to pick up UT? I think we'll have 13 days max of riding so probably not heading all the way to the very northern part of UT next to Wyoming. Probably try to pick it up just north of Duchesne? We'll ride the UTBDR south from there, maybe to Monticello or Blanding before heading back East over to CO. Planning on skipping that part that goes over the Moki Dugway and down to Mexican Hat as I've done that twice already. From there back to Durango.

We'll all be on small bikes so trying to keep pavement a minimum between getting from CO to UT and back.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #723
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,139
Hey Blue
Well we will allot 14 days and run north to south. We are still in preliminary stages at this time so the exact logistics are still to be worked out.
Stay in touch and we can share info.
Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #724
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Hey Blue
Well we will allot 14 days and run north to south. We are still in preliminary stages at this time so the exact logistics are still to be worked out.
Stay in touch and we can share info.
Frank

Thanks for your details Frank. We are telling people to alot 7 days per BDR route but that is a conservative # to be safe.

The bottom of both the UTBDR and CODBR
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR
are very close together and I recommend consulting our UT & CO state maps and going through Aneth, UT and Mc Elmo Canyon, CO as a more interesting way vrs hitting the 4 corners and the straight roads leading to it. Of course if you absolutely want to stop at the 4 corners monument then by all means go that way.

The UTBDR heads slightly NW as it heads north and the CODBR heads a good bit NE so the 2 routes form a V shape. There are many ways to connect the 2 at the top. If you look at our WY state map you see there are not that many E-W dirt roads (most all are paved or the interstate ). Of course you can get inventive and take longer backcountry WY dirt way.

Myself, I would consult our UT state map and aim to ride on the north slope dirt roads that travel E-W and are just north of the Unita Mtn. On the western connect from Bear Lake, there is some fast slab (16 & 150) to get you on it, but it's an OK road. When you leave/arrive at Bear lake don't miss the east side road of the lake. It's a fun small paved road.

Once on the north slope dirt roads (if you have time ride out and back to the top of G1 bald mtn pass!), look to head due east (or the west depending) towards Manila (gas) and then Dutch John (gas) and the Browns Park road into WY>UT>CO and then out at Maybel, CO (gas). From there you can pick your way across and north of Craig (Gas) to the start/end of the COBDR.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 09:43 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #725
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Excellent info Bill thank you !

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #726
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Excellent info Bill thank you !

You're welcome Frank.
Let me know if you have any another other questions?
Enjoy the tour and I'm really looking forward to your RR!
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #727
TouratechUSA
Made For Adventure

Oddometer: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Thanks for your details Frank. We are telling people to alot 7 days per BDR route but that is a conservative # to be safe.

are very close together and I recommend consulting our UT & CO state maps and going through Aneth, UT and Mc Elmo Canyon, CO as a more interesting way vrs hitting the 4 corners and the straight roads leading to it. Of course if you absolutely want to stop at the 4 corners monument then by all means go that way.

The UTBDR heads slightly NW as it heads north and the CODBR heads a good bit NE so the 2 routes form a V shape. There are many ways to connect the 2 at the top. If you look at our WY state map you see there are not that many E-W dirt roads (most all are paved or the interstate ). Of course you can get inventive and take longer backcountry WY dirt way.

Myself, I would consult our UT state map and aim to ride on the north slope dirt roads that travel E-W and are just north of the Unita Mtn. On the western connect from Bear Lake, there is some fast slab (16 & 150) to get you on it, but it's an OK road. When you leave/arrive at Bear lake don't miss the east side road of the lake. It's a fun small paved road.

Once on the north slope dirt roads (if you have time ride out and back to the top of G1 bald mtn pass!), look to head due east (or the west depending) towards Manila (gas) and then Dutch John (gas) and the Browns Park road into WY>UT>CO and then out at Maybel, CO (gas). From there you can pick your way across and north of Craig (Gas) to the start/end of the COBDR.
TouratechUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #728
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:

Thanks, that's helpful info for our group too.

Just a question, it appears the COBDR & UTBDR maps show a good portion of the roads, although they really just focus on the actual route and fuel stops on the route. These are the first Butler maps I've ever purchased, so don't really have anything to compare them to. From what I've seen in other info about your maps, These BDR maps don't have G1, G2, & G3 roads marked like your standard maps, etc. Would we benefit from purchasing the actual regular UT & CO maps as we are searching for routes to cross over from one to the other? It probably would come in handy if for any reason we just have to get off the trail and find other ways around stuff or run short on time and need to get back to the trucks. Finding good "paved" roads would at least keep the trip interesting.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 12:34 PM
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #729
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Thanks, that's helpful info for our group too.

Just a question, it appears the COBDR & UTBDR maps show a good portion of the roads, although they really just focus on the actual route and fuel stops on the route. These are the first Butler maps I've ever purchased, so don't really have anything to compare them to. From what I've seen in other info about your maps, These BDR maps don't have G1, G2, & G3 roads marked like your standard maps, etc. Would we benefit from purchasing the actual regular UT & CO maps as we are searching for routes to cross over from one to the other? It probably would come in handy if for any reason we just have to get off the trail and find other ways around stuff or run short on time and need to get back to the trucks. Finding good "paved" roads would at least keep the trip interesting.
Your welcome.
Good question & yes.

The BDR maps focus on a single off-road route across the state and details to accomplish that. You also want to get the free gps file to navigate. The maps provide the big picture but there are places where the roads are not labeled the best and you could get very lost.

Our state maps include full state detail if you want to do side diversions or piece together BDRs. They are very different and much more detail oriented. They rate the paved roads as well as highlight a ton of ADV dirt roads. There are mobil tour guides as well as POI, hot springs, mileage listing and so on.

Many will ride a full BDR (or part) and then take some more time and ride there own loop around the state. If you are riding a BDR, you can also see where some must-ride G rated side trips are.

In the end if need even more details then you need each state's Benchmark Maps . Our maps are built from Benchmark base maps.

It's like any navigation aid the more info you have the better.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #730
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Your welcome.
Good question & yes.

The BDR maps focus on a single off-road route across the state and details to accomplish that. You also want to get the free gps file to navigate. The maps provide the big picture but there are places where the roads are not labeled the best and you could get very lost.

Our state maps include full state detail if you want to do side diversions or piece together BDRs. They are very different and much more detail oriented. They rate the paved roads as well as highlight a ton of ADV dirt roads. There are mobil tour guides as well as POI, hot springs, mileage listing and so on.

Many will ride a full BDR (or part) and then take some more time and ride there own loop around the state. If you are riding a BDR, you can also see where some must-ride G rated side trips are.

In the end if need even more details then you need each state's Benchmark Maps . Our maps are built from Benchmark base maps.

It's like any navigation aid the more info you have the better.
Awesome! Lots of great info and I guess we'll be ordering some more state maps then! I had no idea they included good ADV dirt roads too and the POI's. That's a huge plus! I'm kind of a map geek, so I surely don't mind having more in my possession to help with the trip planning.

I have already grabbed the GPS tracks from the BDR sites and have been studying them.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #731
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Awesome! Lots of great info and I guess we'll be ordering some more state maps then! I had no idea they included good ADV dirt roads too and the POI's. That's a huge plus! I'm kind of a map geek, so I surely don't mind having more in my possession to help with the trip planning.

I have already grabbed the GPS tracks from the BDR sites and have been studying them.
Thanks.

One thing I do for Butler, is all all the dirt road work. I spend ALOT of time identifying (and getting them laid down on the map) the best ADV roads (my criteria follows: is this a good dirt road for an average to better rider on a 1200GS?) in each state, plus also making sure the roads connect up very well with our best rated paved roads.

Our state map goal is to create the ultimate web of connecting roads in each state. You then can visually see and plan a multi-day tour with all street, mostly all dirt or a mix of the 2.

Thnx Bill
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #732
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Sections 3 4 & 5 are now on YouTube.
I'm guessing there will be 1 more #6 to the state line.

Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 02:31 PM
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #733
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:

Starting to ger serious now in the planning and logistics of a combined UT/CO BDR trip now Bill. Your tips and maps will be key to making it a successful trip. If you don't mind I'll be pinging you for info as I bring the plan together.

Frank

Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #734
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

A quick glance, it looks like the best place to "fly & ride" and connect on a combined UT/CO BDR loop would be Salt Lake ?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #735
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Ut / co bdr

Thanks eakins for the tips and help.
I am part of DockingPilot's crew and this will be perfect for us for 2014.
DP is our leader and will be the point man for our group.
Rest assured DockingPilot's comments and appreciation are from all of us.

John
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote