Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
roadracer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Question 640 Adventure luggage?

Hello,
I tried to search for info, but I didn't find anything. What is *the* setup for hard bags and/or a hard top case for a long distance 640 adventure touring fellow?

I was sold on an r12gs, but now that ktm might import the 640 adventure again the just-over-half-price siren is singing my song.

I want lots of space and a real sturdy mount. It doesn't look like Jesse makes a set of his bags for the KTM or that would be my first choice.

thanks
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
I've used Happry Trails rack and panniers on my 2002 LC4 Adv.

Check them out at:

http://www.happy-trail.com/category....27&startpage=1

I had over 90 lb. of camping gear packed in the aluminum panniers when I rode acrossed US, including 500 some miles off-pavement.
I had worries about the LC4 Adv. not strong enough to carry heavy loads, but that didn't seem to be an issue.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
The KTM factory hard panniers (by Touratech) can be had from Munn (or your local dealer, if they will match the price ) for...

Quote:
58412010300 BAGGAGE RACK SYSTEM $804.71 $804.71
Suggested Retail Total $804.71
Your Munn Racing Total (15% Discount) $684.00
Old 11-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
TT sells their rack and Zega case through KTM. A bit spendy, but well made and lightweight, the new Gobi? (IIRC) cases, the plastic ones you see on the 950, can also be used with this TT 640 rack. I am not a fan of how wide the Zega cases are on the bike, and would run two 35L Zega cases, versus the 35L/41L combo that KTM sells.

The 640 is amazing in what it will haul, and how fast it can still chug along with a heavy load, but IMHO, unless you just doing this kinda touring on occasion and not as a rule, the 640 is utterly the wrong bike for this. Heavier Loads just kill the sweet handling and feel of the bike when off the pavement. The 640 ADV is my favorite all time bike for exploring, and not much else in the category interests me, but in considering a long multi month tour, I am rethinking using the 640, primarily because of this.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
roadracer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Does the motor vibrate too much for long tarmac days connecting the fun bits?

With such a huge tank and a decent fairing, it seemed like it'd be just about right.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,307
Generally speaking, YES.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
SW-Motech has side racks for the Adventure. You can then decide what kind and what size bags to slap on. I went with a pair of E36 Givi cases. If you think the subframe can handle it, you can probably go with larger cases.

I can get my offroad helmet, roost protector, gloves, elbow guards, camel back, extra water, extra tools and 1st-aid kit in those two bags with a bit of extra room for snacks, extra socks and a extra shirt.

The neat thing about the Motech racks as that they are removable. No too pricy either

Plenty of pictures of them over on KTMTalk...
Old 11-18-2004, 02:56 PM   #8
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
No, 300 to 400 mile days no problem with an AirHawk seat pad.

This is my luggage set up, MotoSport panniers and Jesse top box
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,715
i love my oem ktm/touratech panniers. never any issues with them at all. strong and dent proof in small "drop" incidents, water proof, good latches.......

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,307
What's the lightest, simplest, and most rugged luggage standoffs for the Adv? I just want something to keep some smallish soft luggage off the pipe and the side of the bike, so I don't think I need a full mount like you'd use for hard bags.

Or should I go with the integrated Dirt-Bagz? I would prefer some general purpose simple soft saddebags that I could use on a couple different bikes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #11
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
The KTM factory hard panniers (by Touratech) can be had from Munn (or your local dealer, if they will match the price ) for...
that is if Chip don't take your money then say oop's...Out of stock...for months, then have Rance change the price.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:40 PM   #12
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
What's the lightest, simplest, and most rugged luggage standoffs for the Adv? I just want something to keep some smallish soft luggage off the pipe and the side of the bike, so I don't think I need a full mount like you'd use for hard bags.

Or should I go with the integrated Dirt-Bagz? I would prefer some general purpose simple soft saddebags that I could use on a couple different bikes.

- Mark
I made up some 1/2" dia steel tube rails that bolt onto one of the pax footpeg mounting holes, follow the line of the rear side plastic, and bolt on over the rear handles/carrier front mounts. I have attached clips to them so I can just throw over my trusty 'ol saddle bags & snap them on.
Seems to work pretty well, keeps the width & weight down, don't look too ugly & they have survived a couple of low speed offs. Since it's only 4 bolts I usually leave the rails off unless I need them. I have that clear plastic film on the plastic under the bags too. Sorry I dont have a pic, I'll scan some if you're really interested.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Pelican Cases

This is my ideal setup. This is jimjib's setup, now owned by someone else here (speak up!):

The thing I like about the idea is Pelican's are almost indestructible. Everything else, the big meanies in the asylum have broken one way or another. That being said, the rack and the KTM are not. So this is jimjib's brilliance IMHO: he uses cheap conduit (adel) clamps to hold them on. That way if ya take a spill, before something more important breaks from the forces the clamps break away and could save alot of cash. The clamps are less than a buck and you can carry spares just in case (pun intended).

Pelicans don't keep their warranty if you drill them (of course) but they DO come with the reinforced drillin' points! (Nice eh?) And they are much cheaper than any other option short of soft bags or ammo cans. Many shapes and sizes to choose from. Just choose a rack you like that will work with them.

Did I mention they are waterproof?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=pelican
http://www.pelican.com/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 11-20-2004 at 09:30 AM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #14
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

What is the consensus on Pelican size? Are those 1600 or 1550?
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #15
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I thought about the Pelicans, and there is a lot about them I like, but they seem kinda heavy relative to their size, and the wall thickness/ribbing adds some extra width relative to there interior volume, minor issue, but I have issues with every additional inch, when it comes to the width of a bike. For those of you running Pelicans, I expect you can waterproof the mount holes by putting a small diameter O-ring on both sides of the bolt, and pack the threads in between with non-drying silicone grease, vasaline (O-rings may not like the vas) even grease would work well, as we are only talking a drop or two.

I am happy with the Zegas, but I think if I were to do it over again, I might go with the Motoports for a narrower width overall. How many litres are these?

The KTM/TT 35/41L Zega system is 39" across (later TT racks with Gobi bag fittings). The 41L bag is 1.5" wider then the 35L bag. I mention the TT racks having Gobi rack mounts, as I think TT moved the left rack out on these to allow mounting the plastic cases so near the exhaust. With my slightly narrower/further inboard SXC exhaust can, there is almost 2.5inches of dead space between the rack and the bodywork . Not sure if I will ever get around to it, but I hope to reweld the racks, (TT sells just the hoops) and swap out the 41l for a narrower 35l. Hopefully I can reduce the overall width to 34 inches, this will match the width both at the O/B edges of the handguards, and Loaded's© bar ends. This will also remove 75 square inches of flat plate drag from the airstream.