User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
barnyard OP
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,572
Buell Ulyssess Clutch adjustment

I have a 2007 Uly that I bought new. It has 10,600 miles on it.

Today, I did a primary oil change, engine oil and filter change and figured as long as I had time, I would adjust the clutch.

I have been to bad weather, found the video on adjustment and followed that to a T. I actually did it all correctly when I followed the service manual.

I have done it 6 or 7 times now and end up with the same thing, ridiculously hard lever pull and if I start it, pull in the lever, put it in gear and release the clutch, it squeals and does not move. I have done this 3x for about a second each time.

The last time I did it, I loosened the cable to the point where I could remove it from the lever. I moved the ball and ramp all the way back (towards the rear wheel). Moved the screw CCW, then 1/2 turn CW. Put it all together and the same thing.

Is my clutch really fried????????????

I changed the primary fluid with some harley synthetic stuff, that I bought at the local dealer. It should not be the fluid.

I went on a 200+ mile trip yesterday and all was fine. I adjusted the clutch because there was more lever play than I wanted.

Did I do something wrong????? Can I fix it???

What now??

Tom B
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I'd say your clutch is fine, I have two Buells, one I bought with 33 miles on it, now has 17k and I honestly have not touched the clutch adjustment. The other I've only had for a couple months. I have helped adjust one and they are kind of hard to get right when you use the manuals directions.

Are you doing all your adjustment at the primary? For the freeplay I wouldn't mess with that, just adjust it out where the barrel adjuster is next to the steering head.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
barnyard OP
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,572
Fixed it.

Turned out, one of the balls in the ramp had come out of it's track. That prevented any adjustment and only put pressure on the one side of the clutch. When we did put the ball back in the track, the clutch pack was out of alignment (if that makes sense...) We took off the inspection cover, rolled it around, put it in gear, messed with it, then tapped it and heard a 'pop.' That was the clutch pack popping back into alignment.

Put it back together adjusted the lever and it is perfect.

Turned out, I was doing everything correct. I did not look at the exploded photos in the book to understand how the buell clutch works. It is nothing like the clutches I have torn into on my dirtbikes.

There is a ramp that that the clutch cable pulls, there are some ball bearings in that ramp on a track, when you pull the cable, the ramp rotates and the balls force the clutch apart. Kind of the opposite of how a Rekluse clutch works.

Turned out to be a 10 minute fix, but it did take 2 people to get it done. Matt L, the guy that helped me, has torn about several Buells and knew pretty much where to look and pretty much prevented me from taking it to a shop.

Tom B