User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
dhally OP
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,112
Greenhorn in the Elkhorns July 2010

My cousin Dave calls up and says he is going to North Powder, Oregon for the weekend and wants to get together to do something while his wife and daughter attend a "Women in the Outdoors" campout hosted at a local ranch. Luckily, I had just acquired a buddy bike:

A local rider, yamwow (pnwdualsport.com), loaned us a buddy helmet. Thanks, yamwow! Dave hasn't ridden much, and this bike should be a perfect learning tool.

Friday morning the weather was clear and warm, and the Elkhorn mountains were playing hide-and-seek on the way down from LaGrande.

After turning off the freeway at North Powder, the Elkhorns are getting closer...

I soon parked the truck and took BuddyBike out for a test run. We went up to Ladd Canyon Road which runs along the crest of the Elkhorns. Found a viewpoint for some pics. Looking east at the Eagle Caps.

Looking west over the Grande Ronde River

Rock pile

And the goal for tomorrow:

We were planning to camp at Pilcher Creek Reservoir, but it was pretty full. So I explored a bit and found a camp spot at Anthony Creek, which shows as a campground on the old FS maps but not the new ones. Here's camp - it even has a bike stand! Had to re-jet the DR200 for the 4000-7000 ft elevation of this ride.

The next morning we had a special recipe for breakfast - deep fried eggs:

Then gear up and RIDE.

We went up Indiana Mine Road, stopped for the view along the way

We made it to the top, and then some - here's the view from the top of the ski area

And the trail up to the lift shack

After Anthony Lakes, we tried to go up the N. Fork of the Powder River. There were many dead end signs and gates, but we finally found the road (qwad trail?) after exploring Big Muddy Creek. Near the top of the road the creek and the road sort of joined together. I got a little ways down the creek and decided to stop.

Yes there was water all around

Dave came up and helped turn around Legs - good to go

Dave starts yelling at me and waving - huh? I turn around and -

I guess the road DOES continue - the guys in the jeep said it went about another 1/4 mile and then ended in a trail that goes up to the Elkhorn Crest trail. Not today.

On the way back to camp we try another route out. This road petered out a lot. In some places the only sign was grass crushed by one or two qwads. Here is a little creek crossing on the way. If you think the Greenhorn bobbled this crossing, you should have seen me...

It was a good ride - 90 miles of mainly jeep roads. Dave thinks he might sorta like this ADVriding thing - I can see a new addiction in his future.

Parting shot Sunday morning
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE

dhally screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 11:09 AM
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
Looks like that was a lot of fun, thanks for sharing
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Thumb Yeehaw! Looks like fun to me.

Looks like your already putting the buddy bike to good use.

Has your daughter ridden it yet?
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
dhally OP
Hammerhead

Yes she has one time. I took her out to some new empty streets by the house to practice pavement riding - stop, start, shift, turn etc. She has only ridden dirt before. I got bored and went home. 45 minutes later she comes home. Where has she been? Turns out she got bored with that subdivision and the one 3 miles away. She was riding by a hill climb we used to do on dirt bikes. Hmmmm... Why not? So now we know she can fall over in a soft rut, pick up the bike, start it when flooded, complete the hill climb, and go down a hill climb.

She did complain about rear brake chatter on the downhill. It has a lever-operated drum rear brake so I told her to give it a little throttle with the rear brake but she seemed skeptical...
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Yes she has one time. I took her out to some new empty streets by the house to practice pavement riding - stop, start, shift, turn etc. She has only ridden dirt before. I got bored and went home. 45 minutes later she comes home. Where has she been? Turns out she got bored with that subdivision and the one 3 miles away. She was riding by a hill climb we used to do on dirt bikes. Hmmmm... Why not? So now we know she can fall over in a soft rut, pick up the bike, start it when flooded, complete the hill climb, and go down a hill climb.
Sounds like confidence building is complete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
She did complain about rear brake chatter on the downhill. It has a lever-operated drum rear brake so I told her to give it a little throttle with the rear brake but she seemed skeptical...
Father knows best!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,680
Beautiful ride!! Thanks for the report and pics! I like the bike stand too
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
dhally OP
Hammerhead

As I get older, I take all the conveniences I can find.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE