Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #15301
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
I tried the Ascerbis, but the aluminum bar was hitting the brake reservoir, don't know about the Mooses (Meese?)
mine works fine. you can move the reservoir.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #15302
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I have bark busters on my tiger and I completely, utterly HATE them. They don't fit unless you bend them a bit here and there, and then they are tight as buggery and require moving the banjo on the master brake cylinder -- no answer for the kink in the clutch cable. You can either run your levers too high or too low or else wedge the clutch cable over the mount.

Perhaps the fact that they suck on Tigers is why there is this "special set". DO NOT BUY THEM otherwise unless you're a short person perhaps things might line up for you then. I've been close to buying a second set of HDB guards and I'm still suffering because I don't want to throw away my investment. And I feel like I should use the Aussie product but it's hurting me let me tell you.
FWIW and maybe only pertinent to those seeking the extra weather protection of the bark buster storm guards over OEM and not worried about having a full aluminum brace attaching to the inner part of the handlebar, the bark buster end mount only guards work fine on the tiger and are a little cheaper. They bolt up in a few minutes.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/barkb...ar-end-inserts
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #15303
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I have bark busters on my tiger and I completely, utterly HATE them. They don't fit unless you bend them a bit here and there, and then they are tight as buggery and require moving the banjo on the master brake cylinder -- no answer for the kink in the clutch cable. You can either run your levers too high or too low or else wedge the clutch cable over the mount.

Perhaps the fact that they suck on Tigers is why there is this "special set". DO NOT BUY THEM otherwise unless you're a short person perhaps things might line up for you then. I've been close to buying a second set of HDB guards and I'm still suffering because I don't want to throw away my investment. And I feel like I should use the Aussie product but it's hurting me let me tell you.
Interesting, I put mine on with minimal effort and everything lines up pretty well. I did have to adjust the brake line a smidge, and ran left side bark buster between the clutch cable and the electrical wires. Everything seems fine to me. Did you get the "non-special set" or something?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #15304
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 335
Bark busters fit well on my (wife's) Tiger, nil adjustments required.

Very pleased with the product.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #15305
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thanks guys, I figured as much. Just eying up the handguards between my CRF and the tiger bars, I could tell there would be interference on the left side with the cables. I know they make some of the mounts that go around the cables, but then there's the bar contour issue. In all honesty, I'll probably just go with the barkbusters. I'll just have to stay home and drink for a few weekends instead of going to the bar to justify it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
I'll just add a quick comment. I actually researched the whole hand guard issue at length before I bought my Barkbusters. I couldn't figure out why BB through TwistedThrottle were so much more than buying from BB.

I emailed BB and they spelled it out for me. Basically the Tiger has a different bar contour along with the placement of its controls so all the normal configurations don't match up. BB designed a special set to simply bolt up to the Tiger bars. That's what you're paying for.

I bit the bullet and bought them and it was worth every penny. I also got the bar end weights which are awesome too but did require me to purchase some additional bolts. I'll try to elaborate more later.

p3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
FWIW and maybe only pertinent to those seeking the extra weather protection of the bark buster storm guards over OEM and not worried about having a full aluminum brace attaching to the inner part of the handlebar, the bark buster end mount only guards work fine on the tiger and are a little cheaper. They bolt up in a few minutes.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/barkb...ar-end-inserts
I'd honestly probably be fine with something like this as I don't see myself going offroad.

elan screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 12:48 PM
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #15306
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,057
Handguards

I installed Acerbis Mutli-Concept guards. They come with large and small shields, and metal mounting hardware. Probably not as strong as HDB, but a lot cheaper than Barkbusters from Twisted Throttle. I didn't have any interference with the bike controls.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #15307
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Barkbusters work great protecting the bike:

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #15308
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
BarkBuster Mod

I wasn't to happy about the BarkBuster mounts. So I threw more money at it!
I didn't like how the clutch cable had to go up and over and if you adjusted the clutch mount below it wasn't comfortable.
So I found some Moose racing mounts that you could buy separately.

Of course the brake side wasn't really a problem but I needed symmetry.

I need to find some better wind protection than the Barkbuster covers provide. Sometimes form doesn't provide function even with the little lip extensions in place.

Vzuke screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 10:33 PM Reason: lost picture
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #15309
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I wasn't to happy about the BarkBuster mounts....
Those Moose mounts look really good. I just did a quick search for them and found loads of different types. Which model is the one you fitted?
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #15310
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Interesting, I put mine on with minimal effort and everything lines up pretty well. I did have to adjust the brake line a smidge, and ran left side bark buster between the clutch cable and the electrical wires. Everything seems fine to me. Did you get the "non-special set" or something?
Yeah. I just went into the Peter Stevens dealer where I bought the Tiger and asked for the Barkbusters. Figured that because I am tall and have the bars rotated up and the risers etc, it must be my fault... so I popped them in the vise and did some gentle persuading. They got lined up good but then I realised when I did the left side that the clutch cable was smack dab in the middle of the mount... after I had just moved the banjo to get around the other one.

I don't have a good idea to fix the clutch as it's not movable like the master cylinder banjo bolt. So I have it jammed against the mount with some sheet metal wrapped around it as sacrificial rub protection. Looks shit and when I decided I would adjust my bars a bit different I realised I had customised the bend for this specific configuration so I would need to take the vise to them again.. And then they'd be hard-wired for THAT config. feck that.

Those moose mounts look like they would solve the clutch cable problem though. Thanks for telling us about those.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #15311
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I wasn't to happy about the BarkBuster mounts. So I threw more money at it!
I didn't like how the clutch cable had to go up and over and if you adjusted the clutch mount below it wasn't comfortable.
So I found some Moose racing mounts that you could buy separately.

Of course the brake side wasn't really a problem but I needed symmetry.

I need to find some better wind protection than the Barkbuster covers provide. Sometimes form doesn't provide function even with the little lip extensions in place.
Nice! I am going to have to get these as my set was not too special and I had to tweak the banjo bolt and release all of the adjustment in my clutch cable since it is kinked so bad. They do make a special set for the XC, but I don't know how you get them. I called Twisted Throttle before ordering them trying to make sure I would get the correct special set but they had no idea what I was trying to ask and so I just ordered them with my fingers crossed. Now I have to throw some money around to correct the problem. Thanks for finding the solution.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #15312
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Those Moose mounts look really good. I just did a quick search for them and found loads of different types. Which model is the one you fitted?
I think I found it but it is only available for 7/8" bars... Is this what was used?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ard-Mount.aspx
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #15313
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I think I found it but it is only available for 7/8" bars... Is this what was used?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ard-Mount.aspx
If you choose black color, it gives you the option for the 1 1/8 CR high bend for $43. Not sure if that would fit the bend of the 800 roadie bars though. I take it the xc and roadie have different bends?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #15314
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Moose Racing Mod

Usually I save everything in a file that I have ordered for a bike but I can't find the model Moose I ordered.
This was for a 800 roadie. I don't know if the XC bars are different from the Roadie. I don't believe so.

I recall in my research that the Triumph handle bars are made my Nekken (French?). Probably someone out there could confirm that.

The clamp from Mooseracing.com (in silver) is:

Vzuke screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 04:01 PM Reason: spelling
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #15315
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Great solution but damn thats pricey. $40 each.