Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #15556
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Unless you live in western Colorado, like I do... In which case you are forced to torture yourself watching videos of OTHER people ride until the snow melts in 4 months!
First winter in PA coming from AZ, winter is mild to what I remember growing up in NY but still a lot of days I have to park the bikes. I dont think I have ever watched so many riding videos at one time or spent so much time surfing this forum.

Ural two wheel drive hack and some good heated gear might ease the pain for next winter.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #15557
jcshew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
19" Front on Tiger 800XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Gotta agree with The Browneye on this one. The XC is only limited by ground clearance of the foot pegs when riding hard in the twisty bits. However, there is a work around which I've used on every bike I have owned. It's called hanging off, which increases your available lean angle. Anybody who can hustle a sport bike at a good clip around a track (or the street) knows this. With the stock Battlewings or any street tire for that matter, the bike will have no problem hanging with full on sport bikes, but the rider better have the skill set to deal with it before coming here and bitching about the 21" front tire holding him back. That's just a sorry ass excuse for lack of riding skill. I'm very tempted to take my XC to a track day this year. Picking off novices in the beginner class would be huge fun.
Re: Rob Dirt
I was wondering about the ABS. I wasn’t sure how it might respond to a different tire diameter.

Re: browneye
I have to agree with you 100% about the motor and handling. I ride with a friend who has a Versys and is a very good rider. With a little more nudging, as you mentioned, I can keep up in the twisties of the Sierra Nevada and Stanislaus Mountain ranges, but once we get on anything considered off road, the 21 is a big advantage and he has a hard time keeping up. During the summer months I sometimes ride with a group that consists of 6-8 1200GS riders and maybe half a dozen or so ZX-GSR type bikes. We do mostly paved roads. But it’s the same scenario when we get off road, the 17’s suffer, the 19’s are better and the 21 is best.

I’ve been riding and racing road and off road bikes for more than 30 years and know the benefits of the larger diameter, narrower front tire for dirt use. As much as I enjoy the XC and plan to keep it for a long time, I don’t see myself using it for the black diamond trails or the Rubicon type roads I ride with my off road bikes. I’m seeing it more for getting me to lakes and campgrounds that are accessible by two track 4x4 -jeep trails. And since I’m going through the expense and exercise of putting on tubeless, I was wondering if having the smaller diameter and larger contact patch of the 19 would give it a smoother, more comfortable ride on the highways.

Thanks to Rob Dirt, browneye , KingofZRoad and HelmetHead Cycle, for your comments.

Re: fullmonte
I was talking to my friend, whom I mentioned, above about posting this question of ADV, and he warned me about having some know-it-all shmuck chime in with his ignorant tripe. And sure enough, there you are.

You make a lame statement about the bike and then go on the attack. I mentioned nothing about the 21 holding me back. That wasn’t the point. Of the 5 who replied, you are the only one that could read between the lines and find the bitching and sorry ass excuse.

I’ll fill you in on a few details: I don’t run the stock Battlewings or any other type of full street tire on my XC. I’ve heard of this thing called “hanging off”. I think I used it few times to win several races at Sears Point riding one of those sport bikes at a good clip. I guess all those other guys, me included, don’t have the skill to “deal with it” because all of us were running 17s and 16s. If only I had not let the 21 hold me back I could have raced the XC and taken the championship….. I could have been a contender!

It’s a real shame Triumph didn’t have you around when they came up with the Tiger concept. They could have saved a lot of time and money just offering the XC with the 21 front and telling all those lesser skilled who might have bought the 800 Roadie to just stop their bitching and sorry ass excesses and just “deal with it”.

I’m also impressed by your temptation to take your XC to the track and pick off novices and beginners. Let us know when you plan to take you 21” rimmed-street tired XC to the track to take on the intermediates, vets and pros. Now that would be HUGE FUN!

jcshew screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:05 PM
jcshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #15558
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I put a Rick Mayer seat on mine.

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

I absolutely love it and the missus loves the difference in the back. For me, the stock seat started to get uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. I took it for a 3 hours ride last weekend and the Mayer seat felt great the whole way.

I have tried Corbins in the past, and they were a marginal improvement. But this thing is orders of magnitude better than anything else I have tried.
Photos as requested.

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #15559
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Looks nice
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #15560
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,297
That looks way better than I anticipated. Some of the older, IB seats he's made look like they belong in a Town Car.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #15561
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Yankee Dog:
What side cases are those? They look nice and roomy, I get they fit a lot of stuff. Do you have a side picture of your bike with them?
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #15562
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Yankee Dog:
What side cases are those? They look nice and roomy, I get they fit a lot of stuff. Do you have a side picture of your bike with them?
OEM Triumph luggage.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #15563
W. Boyter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Tiger 1200 XC - Stateside, Anyone?

I put down my deposit the day Triumph announced the model. What might have been a late February delivery is now being promised in April (maybe), and I've got a few plans for the machine.
W. Boyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #15564
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
yes they are the Triumph bags. Lots of room on the left side. The exhaust on the right takes up rather a lot of space however. I went with them because of the quick on/off feature. And also because they were already on the bike when I bought it slightly used.

The Mayer seat is the basket weave vinyl. They also come in leather for an upcharge. See the website for details. I went with the vinyl as it holds up better when left out in the sun for long periods. and as I commute with it a lot, it will get left in the parking lot this summer all day in the hot Alabama sun.

And I still really like it. Like no seat I have ever sat on before.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #15565
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I have a Rick Mayer seat on my bike and agree that its pretty nice. Wife hasn't tried her seat yet but its twice as thick as stock.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #15566
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
yes they are the Triumph bags. Lots of room on the left side. The exhaust on the right takes up rather a lot of space however. I went with them because of the quick on/off feature. And also because they were already on the bike when I bought it slightly used.

The Mayer seat is the basket weave vinyl. They also come in leather for an upcharge. See the website for details. I went with the vinyl as it holds up better when left out in the sun for long periods. and as I commute with it a lot, it will get left in the parking lot this summer all day in the hot Alabama sun.

And I still really like it. Like no seat I have ever sat on before.
Thanks. That's a nice package deal you got there.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #15567
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
What do u guys think of a 2012 abs. Xc with 20,000 miles. With a few farkles and triumph panniers for $9000. ??
Good deal? To many miles for the price ? Worth it to just ge a new one ?
I like the price. Don't like the mileage but it has been serviced on regular basis by dealer. Let me know what u think
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #15568
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
What do u guys think of a 2012 abs. Xc with 20,000 miles. With a few farkles and triumph panniers for $9000. ??
Good deal? To many miles for the price ? Worth it to just ge a new one ?
I like the price. Don't like the mileage but it has been serviced on regular basis by dealer. Let me know what u think
Seems like all of the money with that mileage. Note that I bought a 2012 last month and was watching the market closely.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #15569
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Photos as requested.
Thanks!
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #15570
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
I just purchased a new 13 roadie last week. I have noticed the suspension seems kinda harsh. Weather has only permitted me to get about 50 miles so far. So I am wondering, will it break in and soften up some? I test rode the XC also but didn't get off road with it so I didn't really notice the difference between the two on the street. Of course I only have a very few limited miles riding both. Has anyone performed a suspension upgrade on a roadie? What are the options for the front? Or should I just plan on keeping this bike on hard packed graded roads? This is my first bike that is dirt oriented and I have very limited experience on two wheels off road. I run Elka suspension on my quads and have experience setting them up for off road but zero experience with forks or road/off road bike suspension.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote