Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #15811
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
My center stand KIT # is A9778014 CENTRE STAND KIT EVAP US ONLY

It also came with that EVAP canister bracket and another clip for the hoses that when I matched up are identical to the ones already on the bike? Not sure why those are even included in the kit?
They'll likely come in the kit for the people that didn't have a centerstand installed at all. I'll have to check what I have on the bike tonight at home.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #15812
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Has anyone seen the forum with the details on getting 150+ Hp out the Tiger800 engine?

Apparently they are putting in the Daytona 675 timing cam (adjustable) and taking out the cat converter putting on an arrow pipe and changing the computer module.

Have herd of a Tiger800 getting 164hp!
That's huge, but I don,t think I would be doing it, the power curve would be changed dramatically, and would be unsuitable to the type of riding that I do. Would be ok for the roadie though!

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #15813
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
Has anyone seen the forum with the details on getting 150+ Hp out the Tiger800 engine?

Apparently they are putting in the Daytona 675 timing cam (adjustable) and taking out the cat converter putting on an arrow pipe and changing the computer module.

Have herd of a Tiger800 getting 164hp!
That's huge, but I don,t think I would be doing it, the power curve would be changed dramatically, and would be unsuitable to the type of riding that I do. Would be ok for the roadie though!
I want to see the proof!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #15814
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
That is utterly ridiculous. The Tiger 800 bore/stroke ratio would never allow the revs needed to make that kind of power. The head would never flow enough gases either. Big joke.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #15815
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I want to see the proof!
So do I, that's why I was asking. More interested in how they supposedly achieved this

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #15816
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post

3. Factory manuals...where can I buy one? I've found the downloadable one but prefer a hard copy.
I found a digital factory manual, but is there a workshop/repair manual in digital form out there somewhere?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #15817
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Quote:
So do I, that's why I was asking. More interested in how they supposedly achieved this
There is a thread on the Tiger UK forum where a guy put in a Daytona intake cam, with some botching managed to make a daytona or street triple header fit etc. He was definitely getting more power, but nothing like 150hp. Limiting factor was the engine's ability to flow enough air. He posted some info about that on this thread as well, way back when.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #15818
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,129
Why should I NOT buy a 2011 Tiger 800

Ive been looking hard at the Tiger since it first came on the scene and I am now looking even harder at buying a lightly used 2011 800 (non xc - non abs).

Being a long time Weestrom owner I am tossed up between the slightly reworked strom and the 800... I really want something "different" so instead of going with the make/model bike I know and have relied on for many years the Tiger seems to be the one.

Ive read thru as much of this thread as I can and I see several mentions of recalls and some seem a bit more worrisome than others. Ive also noticed what appears to be a somewhat high "turn-over" rate on them (people selling after a short time.. most say something like "its just not the bike for me"... or similar).

What am I too look out for?

Any reason I dont want to buy a Tiger?

The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #15819
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Ive been looking hard at the Tiger since it first came on the scene and I am now looking even harder at buying a lightly used 2011 800 (non xc - non abs).

Being a long time Weestrom owner I am tossed up between the slightly reworked strom and the 800... I really want something "different" so instead of going with the make/model bike I know and have relied on for many years the Tiger seems to be the one.

Ive read thru as much of this thread as I can and I see several mentions of recalls and some seem a bit more worrisome than others. Ive also noticed what appears to be a somewhat high "turn-over" rate on them (people selling after a short time.. most say something like "its just not the bike for me"... or similar).

There were a few recalls for the 2011, the first year model, but nothing on the 2012. And I believe the recalls on the 2011 consisted of a centerstand spring and a new ignition map. Someone else can chime in if I missed one.
I havent noticed the high turnover rate that you speak of. But I will say that there is such a large market wanting them, especially used ones, that if it turns out that the bike is not your cup of tea it will be easy to sell. The Tiger 800 is the latest craze in adv bikes and they are selling quite well. They are also getting a huge following from former 800GS riders. The BMW guys are converting like there is no tomorrow around here according to both the Triumph and BMW dealers. Just test ride it. That should tell you enough.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #15820
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The guy's replies above cover most of it. Hand guards, skid plate and engine bars to get you going.
I went with the SWmotech bash plate because it covers the oil filter but you can still get the filter off without removing the skid plate. A win-win IMO. http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=89566482
My local Triumph didnt have much as far as aftermarket goodies so I'm sure I'll go on-line and find some thing. That skid plate looks sweet and thats what I'm after, protection and functionality. I think I'll keep it to solid hand guards, skid plate and engine guards. Being an off-road guy most my life I'm sure I'll find trails and say to myself, "Yeah I'm sure I can do that!".
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #15821
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
My local Triumph didnt have much as far as aftermarket goodies so I'm sure I'll go on-line and find some thing. That skid plate looks sweet and thats what I'm after, protection and functionality. I think I'll keep it to solid hand guards, skid plate and engine guards. Being an off-road guy most my life I'm sure I'll find trails and say to myself, "Yeah I'm sure I can do that!".
Be sure to look at the Altrider bash plate. Its a fully welded assembly. No rivets. But it is pricey. Its the best made farkle on my Tiger.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #15822
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:

Have you ridden one? That will tell you if it clicks with you.

It has the least incidence of new bike fix-it's of any make or model I've ever heard of. I would say they're pretty much bulletproof. One guy had trouble with the immobilizer, a few in the beginning had trouble with the idle stepper motor. The issues are few and far between.

I am only aware of a couple that have come up for sale. As mentioned, there's a huge following and EVERY professional bike tester pretty much raves about it. It is a bike that is almost universally liked by anyone that rides one, something so very rare today.

Compared to the V-strom ( I had a DL1000) fit and finish and components are nicer on the Triumph. Suspension is better, ergos are better, and performance is better. The motor makes the v-twin seem clunky. Can be accessorised to do the same kind of touring the 'strom does. If you're going to ride off pavement then you want the XC. If it's never going to see dirt, or only the rare occasion, then the T800 roadie has some advantage features, primarily it's alloy wheels and tubless tires.

They are easy to maintain and easy to work on. Design engineering is very good and is build quality.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #15823
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:

Nothing wrong with the 2011. Mine is still going strong! All the recalls were easy to fix and nothing to make the bike worthless. I had a DL1000 for 2 years and put 2,000 miles. I hated that bike. And I mean hate. I tried to like it and just couldn't. Their are thousands of DL1000 followers that Love their bike. Sold it and eventually bought the Tiger. I'll have at least 20,000 on my tiger before the 2 year mark. Just proof that not everyone likes the same bikes. Like said above, Ride one...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #15824
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I have not had good luck with Bikebandit and getting the correct OEM parts. I once ordered a fairing for my 08 Sprint in the Pacific Blue color. They sent me a fairing for an 05 in Caspian Blue. It took me over 6 weeks and around a dozen calls to finally get the right part. Then they tried charging me restocking fees. They finally figured it out. They did not have the correct part number listed on their site for that model year. So now I always order OEM parts from my dealer and have never had a problem getting the right part.
I had the same issue, different part, with them. They took forever and way too much bullshit of calling them.

People think they are a dealer. They're not; just an online retailer. They order the parts, when you order them, and ship when they get them.

Quote:
Not possible, with the work stated.

You can read through JD's progress, on his Daytona 675, here. I know it's not an 800, but, you can look through all the stuff he did and what his gains were for each modification.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #15825
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I found a digital factory manual, but is there a workshop/repair manual in digital form out there somewhere?
I just double checked and it was the owners manual I found, not the factory service manual. Sorry 'bout that.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote