Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #15826
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
one is the "short" centerstand, one is just named centerstand.
That may be your clue. The short one is for the roadie and the other for the XC. AFAIK it was only the XC that had problems with it hitting the swingarm.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #15827
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post

Any reason I dont want to buy a Tiger?

Yes. You going to go nuts every time you can't ride it because of work or kids or weather or etc. etc.

I sure am.

Amongs previous bikes I had Honda VTR1000F. I loved that bike - I like 90 twins a lot.
Yet despite it is much more loads and loads of fun (on paved road and in sport-ish environment, granted) than for example Wee (and I did ride both 1000 and 650) and more like SV, I still have to admit that even that bike did not make me wanting to ride more than Tiger.
Which is bummer because of kids, work and weather
Rant off.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #15828
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
V-twin to Triple

I've been lurking this thread as I'm waiting for winter to break so I can go pick up my new 800XC. I've wondered about moving from my twin only existence to a triple. While I had a couple V4 Hondas back in the 80's, the rest of my riding has been limited to all types of twins. (Triumph Bonni, Harley, Duc 996, BMW, Buell, as well as a couple little race bikes that were twins...) I am curious if the triple will hit all the buttons with me. I didn't get a chance to test ride one of these so I was happy to see that a V-twin owner was happy to make the switch. I found the 1200RT BMW left me wishing it had more character from the engine. I did a thousand miles in 15 hours on that bike so it covered highway miles OK. But I never looked at that bike as nothing more than an appliance. I sold it a year ago and was thinking the triple 800XC might be the ticket for longer road rides to those big bike DS dirt rides I have been hearing about. Time will tell.

Chime in if you came from bikes with more character than civility and love your triple 800.
2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #15829
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I've been lurking this thread as I'm waiting for winter to break so I can go pick up my new 800XC. I've wondered about moving from my twin only existence to a triple. While I had a couple V4 Hondas back in the 80's, the rest of my riding has been limited to all types of twins. (Triumph Bonni, Harley, Duc 996, BMW, Buell, as well as a couple little race bikes that were twins...) I am curious if the triple will hit all the buttons with me. I didn't get a chance to test ride one of these so I was happy to see that a V-twin owner was happy to make the switch. I found the 1200RT BMW left me wishing it had more character from the engine. I did a thousand miles in 15 hours on that bike so it covered highway miles OK. But I never looked at that bike as nothing more than an appliance. I sold it a year ago and was thinking the triple 800XC might be the ticket for longer road rides to those big bike DS dirt rides I have been hearing about. Time will tell.

Chime in if you came from bikes with more character than civility and love your triple 800.
its a different motor for sure. you will just need to ride one. I think they kind of ride like inline 4 sport bikes. it will be much faster than it sounds... different torque curve than a twin. idk, just ride one. they are fun!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #15830
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I found a digital factory manual, but is there a workshop/repair manual in digital form out there somewhere?
Factory service/shop manual as PDF: PM_Me_for_a_URL

I found it the day AFTER I ordered the $45 printed copy. Both are complete shop manuals.

browneye screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 02:34 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #15831
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Factory service/shop manual as PDF: http://www.triumphtalk.com/showthread.php/20387-Service-Manual-Download

I found it the day AFTER I ordered the $45 printed copy. Both are complete shop manuals.
Thanks, Chris. I like the hard manual for the garage, but this on a flash drive under the seat makes more sense on the road
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #15832
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Ive read thru as much of this thread as I can and I see several mentions of recalls and some seem a bit more worrisome than others. Ive also noticed what appears to be a somewhat high "turn-over" rate on them (people selling after a short time.. most say something like "its just not the bike for me"... or similar).

What am I too look out for?

Any reason I dont want to buy a Tiger?

I came from a Wee-Strom as well, though I went with an XC ABS. The Tiger is way, way more bike than the Wee, better in every way except fuel consumption/range (gas mileage is slightly lower, by about 5mpg, and the tank is a little smaller).

There's not really anything to look out for. As burmbuster pointed out, the few recalls were for noncritical things -- center stand (the stand itself and the spring, but this only applies to early ones, if there's even one fitted) and an updated engine map. A limited VIN range of Tiger 800s also had a recall to replace the shifter return spring (mine was among them but never exhibited any issues; I had it done anyway since it was on Triumph's dime, and got the updated center stand and engine map at the same time).

For what it's worth, I've got 31,000 miles on my Tiger and haven't had any issues. It hasn't even needed a valve adjustment. Awesome bike.

Quote:
I am curious if the triple will hit all the buttons with me. I didn't get a chance to test ride one of these so I was happy to see that a V-twin owner was happy to make the switch...

I came from riding twins and singles too, and I'm not a big fan of inline-4s at all. But I love the triple in the Tiger. Great engine. I intend to always have one in my garage from now on.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014

markbvt screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 06:35 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #15833
Seb1234
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
My local Triumph didnt have much as far as aftermarket goodies so I'm sure I'll go on-line and find some thing. That skid plate looks sweet and thats what I'm after, protection and functionality. I think I'll keep it to solid hand guards, skid plate and engine guards. Being an off-road guy most my life I'm sure I'll find trails and say to myself, "Yeah I'm sure I can do that!".
Unfortunately this SWMotech just appeared as less robust than the Triumph's one.

I can't tell if the OEM one would have survived too, but it seems to be one piece built instead of this multiple parts assembly.
Seb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #15834
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
Quote:

I've owned my SS, since new. I'd had a few I-4s, before that, and always felt they were missing something. After the first SS test ride, I was sold. I loved the twin's power characteristics and engine pulse. Fast forward to '05 and me getting on the track. I quickly exceeded the bike's capabilities. After looking at the cost/benefit deal of upgrading the SS, I started shopping for a track bike. I'd come down to getting a 749S. However, my friend, and dealer, suggested a Daytona 675. I'd mulled over the 600cc options, but, knew none had any low-/mid-range. But, the Daytona had a ton of torque and was smooth, when lugging it. I bought one, in '06. The next year, I test rode a Tiger 1050 and was hooked. In '09, I stumbled upon a used one being sold by an inmate. I bought it. Unfortunately, I've had some health issues that have affected my upper body strength and ability to handle a loaded motorcycle, especially two-up. Because of that, I test rode an 800 Roadie, last fall. That bike, to me, is a great balance between the 675's willingness to spin and the comfort of my Tiger. The 1050 engine makes a whole lot more torque, but, one can feel all the weight and it's much slower to rev than the smaller engine. The 800 is much smoother, but, is still a lot more torquey than an I-4 of equal size, without the chugginess of a twin. I still love the characteristics of a twin. But, for day-to-day use, I'll take a triple, as it's so much more refined and has great torque and power. It really is a great compomise between an I-4 and twin. I think you'll be smitten with the bike, upon a test ride.

Interestingly, I test rode an 1100RT or 1150RT (can't remember, as it was years ago) and felt the same as you did with the 1200RT.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #15835
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That may be your clue. The short one is for the roadie and the other for the XC. AFAIK it was only the XC that had problems with it hitting the swingarm.
Both model centerstands were subject to the TSB and both redesigned.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #15836
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1234 View Post
Unfortunately this SWMotech just appeared as less robust than the Triumph's one.

I can't tell if the OEM one would have survived too, but it seems to be one piece built instead of this multiple parts assembly.
That had to be an *incredibly hard* hit. Mine suffered two very jarring hits going through some down trail rock gardens and survived as well as any plate I have ever had with no separation (but big dents...). Yes they are riveted but not exactly pop rivets. Yes they will separate with enough force but an amount of force that would likely require any plate to be replaced. As hard as that hit had to have been, based on how clean the plate is with no oil or engine parts in the seams I would say the plate did work. It is a substantial piece of kit.

I got it because I think form and function wise it is the best fit for me and my needs. Though when I replace it I probably will get it welded because hey you know it couldn't hurt and it doesn't cost much.

I think anyone else that likes the design should get it and if the rivets are a concern, get it welded.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #15837
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1234 View Post

And thats exactly why I chose the Altrider bash plate. The rivets on the SW Motech unit are known to do this. Nothing will beat a fully welded assembly.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #15838
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
That had to be an *incredibly hard* hit. Mine suffered two very jarring hits going through some down trail rock gardens and survived as well as any plate I have ever had with no separation (but big dents...). Yes they are riveted but not exactly pop rivets. Yes they will separate with enough force but an amount of force that would likely require any plate to be replaced. As hard as that hit had to have been, based on how clean the plate is with no oil or engine parts in the seams I would say the plate did work. It is a substantial piece of kit.

I got it because I think form and function wise it is the best fit for me and my needs. Though when I replace it I probably will get it welded because hey you know it couldn't hurt and it doesn't cost much.

I think anyone else that likes the design should get it and if the rivets are a concern, get it welded.
The only way to weld the SW Motech plate would be to tig weld it. And you would have to seal weld it, as it all the way around on both sides of the mating surfaces. Unless you have a tig welding set up at home it would probably cost more to weld it properly than to just buy a more durable unit.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #15839
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Both model centerstands were subject to the TSB and both redesigned.
Yes, that's correct - I just wasn't absolutely certain that there wasn't a silent redesign after that first one and at first I couldn't find a clue on the stand itself.

After getting home yesterday evening I did some more digging and found that the paperwork of the repair showed the new part number while the stand itself is the old one:

They listed it on the invoice as A9778004 which is the redesigned model with the two bumpers on the stand legs as can be seen in the mounting instructions:

http://www.triumphinstructions.com/P...9778004-US.pdf

So, one year after the old ones were pulled out of circulation and supposedly had to be send back to Triumph, my dealer managed to put that POS on my bike while still listing it as the new model number in the paperwork.

This is driving me insane. First the whole thing about hitting a deer and breaking my wrist, then it took six weeks to get a stupid alternator cover from England, then more trouble with the repairs when I first got my bike back, therefore back in the shop, now I find that shit with the center stand ... there's a little voice telling me that I'm not very lucky with this bike.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #15840
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Cug,

I start the bitching to your dealer ASAP and then make sure you document everything to send to Triumph HQ. Utterly ridiculous that they try to pass that off. It doesn't surprise me though with the levels of shit at dealerships now though. Parts has to order it, Service writes you up (a writer) and then a tech installs it. One hand usually does not know or care what the other is doing which results is what you're dealing with.

My local dealer here is new to Triumph (about a year) but they are over the top conscientious. I had a problem with a fog light switch (two different part numbers for similar switches). My parts guy got in touch with a Triumph warehouse supervisor who had someone pull the part off the shelf and photograph it for me. They emailed me the picture directly to confirm the part was right before I paid and they shipped. That's been the type of service I've been getting for the past year.

Keep us posted
p3
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote