Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #16261
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Got my frame guards today. Installed them as well. They fit and look pretty good.
Looks good! How are they attached to the frame? Are there straps or zipties, or do they somehow clip or bolt on?

BTW, I saw them at BikeBandit as well...
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #16262
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
First I'd heard of that but their site http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/index.html does say "up to 2012" so I guess you're right.

Has anyone tried the TuneECU on the '13 model or has confirmation that the '13 was "locked out"?
ttime4four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #16263
byh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Has anyone tried the TuneECU on the '13 model or has confirmation that the '13 was "locked out"?
Just to be sure, I emailed Alain at TuneECU. I'll share what I find out.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #16264
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Looks good! How are they attached to the frame? Are there straps or zipties, or do they somehow clip or bolt on?

BTW, I saw them at BikeBandit as well...

Zipties. http://www.triumphinstructions.com/P...9780014-US.pdf
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #16265
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
SW motech

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Looking at some aftermarket stuff and I have a few questions:

1. Are the Givi sidecase racks spaced evenly across the rear of the bike.... or in other words... Does the exhaust side stick out farther than the other side... anyone have pics of from the rear with the Givi racks????

2. I also want to add some crash bars and looking at the different options it appears that none actually protect the plastic upper cowls???

On a side note, I may actually get to take my new to me Tiger out this weekend..... work flow and weather seem to be pointing in that direction

thanks again
-Brian
I went with the SW motech crash bars and side racks on my orange 2012. The crash bars look like they could do a decent job protecting the upper plastic as well as the engine. Someone mentioned they sent some back cuz they were heavy but I think heavy=stronger. The side racks seem quite strong even considering that they quick release which is awesome. went with a Givi trekker top box mounted with monokey hardware (again quick release)to a Motech top rack and the complete twisted throttle quick lock pelican side case set up. Went with Triumph accessory skid plate,heated grips,aux driving lights and centre stand all of which I installed myself and am very happy with. Put 10,000km on in the 4.5 months that was left of our riding season and loved the bike and the set up. Next will be a Tkc/Heidenau combo for tires, a GL fandango tank bag, and an Eastern beaver 3 circuit solution wiring harness. All when my wife is not looking. All this may have cost me an extra year before I can retire but it helps dull the pain as the kids start to become more independent and get ready to leave the nest. Did I mention that I love the bike!!
Please excuse any poor forum etiquette I tend to do more lurking than posting.
Regards, to all,
Gary
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #16266
xcountry41
Adventurer

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusutavot800 View Post
For those who didn't know Two Brothers just release a muffler for the T800 here is a link and dyne video from them....

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...ger-SO-13.html

I might pass of the Leo Vince and save some more $$$ and get this instead
I just chose this slip on post randomly to quote to try not to lose relevance. i'm curious. Why are folks finding a need to go with aftermarket exhaust on the T800? I will admit that when I shopped for mine last summer I tried to get them to sell me the demo to save some money but also had some farkles incl. an arrow can that I thought was cool. They wouldn't bite so I bought a fresh one with stock exhaust. Back in my day I raced motocross fairly successfully to the expert level and rode stock bikes except for phoenelic reed valves and never felt the bikes held me back I could win or finish back a bit but never felt results were due to the bike holding me back IMO not many guys can outride today's technology. In hindsight and after 10,000km I can't figure why I would spend the significant cash on aftermarket performance parts on a tiger. Not judging here just curious what fellow inmates think. With riding gear and travelling set ups costing literally thousands I guess I'm a little foggy on this. PS I'm counting my lucky stars to nave not gotten nailed for speeding on my Xc as it is! To much fun !
Cheers, Gary

xcountry41 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 11:53 PM
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #16267
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Wicked Ear Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post
So my little disposable plugs rather suck. Do you have a suggestion for something that works?
There's lots of sources, but here is my favorite. http://earinc.com They do a great job on motorcyclists as well as almost every other profession. I have the ear buds that I plug into a Sena10 which is bluetooth connected to the iphone.

I also use some plastic plugs that work well for me. The foam cheepies are just a step above nothing. Too hard to get a good fit. Ear Inc also offers several other tachical ear plugs that look very promising, but some are not helmet friendly. Insta-Mold is very popular.

Most important is that you wear something all the time. Hearing loss is cummulative. Hearing is a bitch to lose. DAMHIK
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #16268
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcountry41 View Post
I just chose this slip on post randomly to quote to try not to lose relevance. i'm curious. Why are folks finding a need to go with aftermarket exhaust on the T800? I will admit that when I shopped for mine last summer I tried to get them to sell me the demo to save some money but also had some farkles incl. an arrow can that I thought was cool. They wouldn't bite so I bought a fresh one with stock exhaust. Back in my day I raced motocross fairly successfully to the expert level and rode stock bikes except for phoenelic reed valves and never felt the bikes held me back I could win or finish back a bit but never felt results were due to the bike holding me back IMO not many guys can outride today's technology. In hindsight and after 10,000km I can't figure why I would spend the significant cash on aftermarket performance parts on a tiger. Not judging here just curious what fellow inmates think. With riding gear and travelling set ups costing literally thousands I guess I'm a little foggy on this. PS I'm counting my lucky stars to nave not gotten nailed for speeding on my Xc as it is! To much fun !
Cheers, Gary
For me reasons are very (boringly) practical.
1. With stock exhaust it is impossible to achieve width - even with narrowest of panniers- that will fit into measurements of handlebar. With my DYI panniers support and LV can I managed to squeeze into 85 cm with luggage. Let me assure you, that for Europe it brings tons of advantages. Roads are narrow and dense, lane splitting is not optional but a must as a survival technique. I have ridden with friends, who did think otherwise and I heard them regretting width of luggage in rather colorful expressions every time we hit traffic. You may check what width people achieve with stock exhaust width-wise. It is not pretty.
2. Weight. I am not tall guy and I prefer to shed as much as possible weight from high on the bike. I got rid of free-supplied original top box and sliding carrier for same reason. It feels like I shed more from bike than I actually did because of all those parts are high up.
3. Heat. Original exhaust get's hot, even heat shield not helping. I do not want to grill my plastic panniers and their contents.

I was not interested in sound as such, it is side benefit. I know too well that usually aftermarket exhaust without remap means not gain but loss of power, so I never even took Db killer out of my aftermarket exhaust to minimize impact on fuelling. I do not like too loud and I wanted to keep flow close to stock.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #16269
BDKrivit
Kriv

Oddometer: 81
New Tiger ABS

Just getting ready to buy the blue '13 roadie. Going w/ the OEM topcase/sliding rack and Trax 45 liter panniers. Is there a major diff btwn the 45l and the 37l? Like fullface vs no fullface?

Other than that, going stock for the forseeable future, until at least Bennington-Americade-Minuteman 1000 are over in June. Then I will have a good idea re the seat-

Thanks for anything you think I need to know asap, and sorry if these were covered earlier-

Kriv
2013 Nutmeg 400
2014 Nutmeg 400
BDKrivit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #16270
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKrivit View Post
Just getting ready to buy the blue '13 roadie. Going w/ the OEM topcase/sliding rack and Trax 45 liter panniers. Is there a major diff btwn the 45l and the 37l? Like fullface vs no fullface?

Other than that, going stock for the forseeable future, until at least Bennington-Americade-Minuteman 1000 are over in June. Then I will have a good idea re the seat-

Thanks for anything you think I need to know asap, and sorry if these were covered earlier-

Kriv
Just picked mine up last week! Unless you're getting some great deal on the OEM and Trax stuff, look at the GlobeScout cases that should be available within the next couple of weeks at ADVDepot.com. Being from NYC, you may appreciate the locks on these, as they seem much sturdier than the ones on the Trax cases. There's a thread on them somewhere... The 50L OEM bag is very nice, also. You can get it and use it on the back rack as a temporary top-case, and can be strapped onto the passenger seat when you get a top case if you need the extra storage.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #16271
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Cheers, Gary

Easy...
Looks. Sound. Period.

So obviously, for an extraneous piece of equipment, less $$ is better. For me, a 100hp motorbike that sounds like a honda lawnmower isn't cutting it. It least give it a growl and a bark so it sounds like a real motorcycle. I'm not a straight-pipes harley kind of guy, but I do like some sound. If there's a performance bump that's icing.

As a comparo...do you run stock wheels on your cars and trucks? I'll bet I've bought at least 8 sets of wheels and tires in the past 15 years. A few of them got custom exhaust, especially the trucks. I started doing custom paint work almost 40 years ago. Do you tint windows?

You buy other accessories for your bike(s), why not a custom exhaust?

All that said, the stocker is a nice piece. I don't find it runs hot, it sticks out a half inch further than the aftermarket ones so big deal, and it's free, as in 'comes with the bike'. In my case the happy trails pannier racks won't share the same space with a LV but we got that cured so I'll be putting one on my tiger. So to answer your question, it's a matter of want, not need.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #16272
xcountry41
Adventurer

Lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Easy...
Looks. Sound. Period.

So obviously, for an extraneous piece of equipment, less $$ is better. For me, a 100hp motorbike that sounds like a honda lawnmower isn't cutting it. It least give it a growl and a bark so it sounds like a real motorcycle. I'm not a straight-pipes harley kind of guy, but I do like some sound. If there's a performance bump that's icing.

As a comparo...do you run stock wheels on your cars and trucks? I'll bet I've bought at least 8 sets of wheels and tires in the past 15 years. A few of them got custom exhaust, especially the trucks. I started doing custom paint work almost 40 years ago. Do you tint windows?

You buy other accessories for your bike(s), why not a custom exhaust?

All that said, the stocker is a nice piece. I don't find it runs hot, it sticks out a half inch further than the aftermarket ones so big deal, and it's free, as in 'comes with the bike'. In my case the happy trails pannier racks won't share the same space with a LV but we got that cured so I'll be putting one on my tiger. So to answer your question, it's a matter of want, not need.
So more or less a function of available funds and priorities. I will admit that I picked up some aluminum motech guards,one being absolutely necessary to keep my pants from melting on the pipe,the left side had no practical reason other than to match the other and keep the look balanced with the rest of the aluminum stuff. I customized my 77 dodge van when I was a kid so I do get it I guess. All our vehicles are stock but do have factory aluminum wheels, and I admit to having a second set for my Subaru snow tires to get to the powder days in the mountains cuz skiing keeps me sane when I can't ride the tiger for 5 months. 25 years so far of raising our kids .competitive bicycle racing,elite level hockey,xc ski racing,skiing, snowboarding and university for three has kicked in my uber practical side I think! Bluesman, My pelican side cases are not overly wide and we have so much open road here in Canada that I wasn't thinking from a limited space perspective.makes sense to make congestion as bearable as possible.
cheers,
Gary
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #16273
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Why are folks finding a need to go with aftermarket exhaust on the T800?
For me is one reason and one reason only: size. I want my luggage as narrow as possible while still giving decent space.

I have Jesse Odyssey II 10" cases and a Fuel Medium Stainless exhaust. That brought the luggage another inch in, which doesn't sound much and might or might not be worth it for you, for me, I like it when both sides are the same width and when the luggage is tucked in as tightly as possible.

And this isn't just for squeezing through, it's to prevent the "balancing pole" effect of wide luggage. You'll barely notice vary narrow but heavy luggage, while very wide and much less heavy luggage has a very noticeable negative effect on handling.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #16274
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
The foam cheepies are just a step above nothing. Too hard to get a good fit.
Actually, the foam cheapies offer the best protection. Some cheapies are better than others, but if you compare against other types like the reusable plastic or even custom molded ones, you'll see that the NRR of foam ones is significantly higher. I got this pack a while back and have found some good ones that I'll order in bulk once I run out of throwaways: http://www.earplugstore.com/foearpltrpa2.html

It might sound silly, but really the trick is to put them in properly. I didn't have the highest opinion of earplugs before, but then I found out that I was only putting them in my ear half assedly. Then I saw this video, and that over-the-head ear tug makes a world of difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5nGO0qNTCd8
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #16275
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
The foam cheepies are just a step above nothing. Too hard to get a good fit.
They offer often better protection than molded ear plugs as long as they are fitted correctly. And for a MUCH better price. I bought a box of 200 pairs of Howard Leight Max which I can use multiple times, on a longer tour a pair lasts for two to three days, they have a ~30dB noise reduction and are very comfortable to wear, and the whole box was $20. I've been using them since 2009, might have to buy a new box this year.

After you got used to inserting them it's about as fast as molded plugs. And as I don't care for music when riding, they are perfect.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote