Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #16336
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Nice solution- too bad you had to come up with it yourself.

I contacted HT about the fit when I put their racks on my XC w/ Arrow can last summer and hit the same problem. The reply, from a customer service standpoint, was less than pathetic. Basically they said they'd look at it if I rode it to them, but otherwise they were verrry sorrry.

If anyone's on the fence, I really couldn't recommend the setup for a Tiger.
Hmmm. I called them last week and had a very good conversation about the fix they have in the works to address the bracket clearance. It sounds like the backside of the bracket is being revised to be thinner (and perhaps rounded).

I had a bunch of other questions and he was very helpful.
ttime4four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #16337
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Hey slow bikes need love too ya know...

As a Buell owner and former Ducati 996 owner I can say that the Buell is a much more fun street bike than the 996. It is fun to make a slow bike go fast and rowing through all the gears just to break 100mph. People who know me asked me how the Buell compared to the Ducati. I would reply that the Ducati could drag a Buell on its side behind it down a quarter mile faster than the Buell could do by itself. Yet it is fun. I have 19k miles on mine and its maint has been fluids and filters and that's it. Oh ya a clutch cable. I do miss that 996 but maintenance free it was not.

I wonder how much time the Buell will get this year with the new 800XC parked next to it.
In here bike, that grew from that very concept (fun without getting fine) is supermotard. I am sure you'll get hooked if you try - judging by what you said. Advantages are - no problem if you drop it, it weights nothing and allows for ridiculous things (like brake and stop right in middle of apex) with no consequences
I know what you mean about fun from Buell thou - I think I know. I had Suzuki DR800 that I updated with different suspension and brakes and set of supermoto wheels to compliment stock wheels. It was fun to ride hell out of that thing, specially in tight twisties. But - it was bike that does not get damaged much if you drop it, slide into ditch or even riding offroad in Morocco with front Supercorsa on 17"
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #16338
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
This is a little embarrassing.

Need to rethink the mud flap mounting idea. Maybe a L bracket to the bottom of the battery box, then mount the flap to that.

Another day.
I don't understand what your problem is. Mine mounted OK by drilling through into the battery box. You just need to trim the flap a bit to fit the contours of the box. Mine's been there for over 12000 miles now. Still there. Hasn't fallen off.......
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #16339
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I don't understand what your problem is. Mine mounted OK by drilling through into the battery box. You just need to trim the flap a bit to fit the contours of the box. Mine's been there for over 12000 miles now. Still there. Hasn't fallen off.......
Same here, mine looks just like yours.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #16340
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Awesome, got a link to where you got the piece of plastic?

That is a great idea, and would love to do the same mod to my bike.

TIA.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #16341
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,794
Happy Trails Pannier Racks

Quote:

I contacted HT about the fit when I put their racks on my XC w/ Arrow can last summer and hit the same problem. The reply, from a customer service standpoint, was less than pathetic. Basically they said they'd look at it if I rode it to them, but otherwise they were verrry sorrry.

+1
Their response to this issue was truely pathetic. I will never buy any products from them again. Product support is absolutely worthless.

And they just don't get it. They're in a niche market of adventure bike riding and unwilling to cater to their clientele. Really stupid - word travels fast. I told them that...they're in Idaho...now we know why. Podunk Idaho.

When I had my Versys I put their racks on that bike as well. The fastener pack was missing items. EVERY owner that ordered out a set of racks got shorted the same items. Everyone called them and they either shipped the missing parts or you went to the hardware store and bought what you were missing. Did they ever fix their hardware pack???? NOOOOOO!!!!

Call them sometime and listen to the idiot girl on their recording. OMFG. Idaho. Just shoot me.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #16342
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
+1
Their response to this issue was truely pathetic. I will never buy any products from them again. Product support is absolutely worthless.

And they just don't get it. They're in a niche market of adventure bike riding and unwilling to cater to their clientele. Really stupid - word travels fast. I told them that...they're in Idaho...now we know why. Podunk Idaho.

When I had my Versys I put their racks on that bike as well. The fastener pack was missing items. EVERY owner that ordered out a set of racks got shorted the same items. Everyone called them and they either shipped the missing parts or you went to the hardware store and bought what you were missing. Did they ever fix their hardware pack???? NOOOOOO!!!!

Call them sometime and listen to the idiot girl on their recording. OMFG. Idaho. Just shoot me.
I've had good experience with them.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #16343
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
Hmmm. I called them last week and had a very good conversation about the fix they have in the works to address the bracket clearance. It sounds like the backside of the bracket is being revised to be thinner (and perhaps rounded).

I had a bunch of other questions and he was very helpful.
I emailed them the day after I ordered the rack about fitting
with the LeoVince pipe and they said they knew of no problems. After I got the rack and discovered the problem
I contacted them again and told them how the bracket did not fit. Also sent them pics. They offered a return/refund and I told them I was working on a solution.
After I had completed the installation I sent them pics showing what I had done and they seemed grateful for the
feedback.
I guess maybe that prompted some action on their part.
We will see what they come up with. Shouldn't be too hard for them to rectify the issue to fit with any exhaust system!

Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #16344
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRnick View Post
I emailed them the day after I ordered the rack about fitting
with the LeoVince pipe and they said they knew of no problems. After I got the rack and discovered the problem
I contacted them again and told them how the bracket did not fit. Also sent them pics. They offered a return/refund and I told them I was working on a solution.
After I had completed the installation I sent them pics showing what I had done and they seemed grateful for the
feedback.
I guess maybe that prompted some action on their part.
We will see what they come up with. Shouldn't be too hard for them to rectify the issue to fit with any exhaust system!

Nick

They knew about the problem - I have had extensive coorespondence with the president/owner of the company back in July/August of last year right after I got my bike. In fact, two different times, once when I got them, and again after a customer survey they sent out to which I responded negatively. So there is no mystery there, they just didn't care. They told me they were too busy to look at a redesign or fix for it last summer. And that they "probably won't get to it" at all.

If you've had 'good luck' with them then you haven't had a problem with their product. For the Tiger, installed with the stock muffler, there is no issue. Other than the left side that sticks way the hell out there, and the back cross bar that hangs way too low and sticks out too far. For the latter, I will more than likely have a custom one made.

For anyone looking for a pannier rack system, look to SW Motech, Wolman, or Hepco Becker. I think Jesse Luggage has their own rack as well.

Caveat Emptor!!

EDIT: PVRNick - how did you get the curve in the aluminum plate you made? I was looking at mine the other day, and I had some 2" bar stock but it was too narrow. Will need to cut a plate out of a sheet or get 3" stock. I'm guessing it's going to be hard to bend. Or did you have a sheet bender or brake?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #16345
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Awesome, got a link to where you got the piece of plastic?

That is a great idea, and would love to do the same mod to my bike.

TIA.
It's a universal Acerbis inner mudflap. You have to trim and figure out how to mount it yourself.

I bought mine from Amazon.com, price has gone up a bit, I paid $18.94 back in June and they're listing at $23.75 now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TSRZ8/...T1_ST1_3p_dp_1
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #16346
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Move that mounting point up or down an inch or two...

For the record, I put some 1/2" long spacers between the rack arm and the clamps; that shifted where it wanted to hit the bike enough to clear the pipe.

When I sent a photo of that, their attitude was that I'd solved it, so no further action needed unless I was willing to ride to Idaho, and as someone else noted, they would "look" at it, but not promise to fix it. If they'd said "bring it on over, we'll roll it in and fix it", I'd have been there.

As for the left side hanging out so far... if this stays on the bike, I'm thinking of squeezing an ammo can inside the bag mount.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #16347
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
They knew about the problem - I have had extensive coorespondence with the president/owner of the company back in July/August of last year right after I got my bike. In fact, two different times, once when I got them, and again after a customer survey they sent out to which I responded negatively. So there is no mystery there, they just didn't care. They told me they were too busy to look at a redesign or fix for it last summer. And that they "probably won't get to it" at all.

If you've had 'good luck' with them then you haven't had a problem with their product. For the Tiger, installed with the stock muffler, there is no issue. Other than the left side that sticks way the hell out there, and the back cross bar that hangs way too low and sticks out too far. For the latter, I will more than likely have a custom one made.

For anyone looking for a pannier rack system, look to SW Motech, Wolman, or Hepco Becker. I think Jesse Luggage has their own rack as well.

Caveat Emptor!!

EDIT: PVRNick - how did you get the curve in the aluminum plate you made? I was looking at mine the other day, and I had some 2" bar stock but it was too narrow. Will need to cut a plate out of a sheet or get 3" stock. I'm guessing it's going to be hard to bend. Or did you have a sheet bender or brake?
I have access to a Brake at work. Just put two small bends in a 3" x4"
aluminum plate 1/4 inch thick. Drilled and installed. No sweat.
Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #16348
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
I have access to a Brake at work. Just put two small bends in a 3" x4"
aluminum plate 1/4 inch thick. Drilled and installed. No sweat.
Nick
Yeah, no sweat with a metal brake. I have access to a bench vice and hammer.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #16349
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Thumb

That will work! I have made a lot of brackets with a hacksaw, file and a hammer and a vice. Takes a little more effort but you can do it.

Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #16350
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:

The nut on my HT rack was contacting the stock exhaust pipe. I had to cut off an 1/8" from each clamp and each bolt. That fixed it. I'm lucky that we have a shop at work and someone who knows how to use it.

vintagebob screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 01:16 PM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote