Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #1636
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinders_72
Here are some specs, quoted from the Triumph Australia site.

800XC:
Front Suspension
Showa 45mm upside down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 220mm travel
Interesting. I wonder if that's true -- and if so, where the adjusters are, since there are none on the top end of the fork. Anyone ever seen a fork with three adjusters on the bottom?

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #1637
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds
No, stop naggin' , I'm going out to have a couple of beers to celebrate the fact that 'according to the spec sheet' I have a fully functioning penis and the spec sheet is good enough for me
Yes but its probably to heavy to be used for real off roading!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #1638
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
I like the baby shit yellow.

Paulvt1 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 11:41 PM
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #1639
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
Of course! It must remind you of British cuisine!

Perhaps you can verify if what I heard is true... that the British believe it's a sin to enjoy your food, so they cook accordingly!

Just kidding! I love me some Bangers and Mash or some Spotted Dick!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #1640
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
If I was in any way attracted to that color, I already have a name picked out for the beast. I dub thee "Vomit Comet!"
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #1641
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Remember "Dog pecker pink?" Laughs aplenty in the paint shop...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #1642
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s
Because KLR's suck. I've owned 3 different KLRs, and a DR.

The DR an KLR are comparatively much slower, less comfortable, have vastly worse brakes, etc. and are still too heavy, fragile, and poorly suspended to be "real" dirtbikes. Easier to ride off-road than the GS for sure, but you pay a huge on-road penalty for it. That works well for some, just not for me.

A typical weekend on my GS involves several hundred road miles linking dirt and gravel roads, plus some fire roads and jeep trails. The DR and KLR could do the same rides, they were just nowhere near as enjoyable on the road sections. Or, shooting off to visit friends 800-miles away and maybe throwing in some dirt roads and camping on the way home, or heading out to Utah (4,000+ miles RT) this spring. Possible on the DR of course - just nowhere near as much fun. Or, I could take a dedicated road bike, and then just look lustingly at the hundreds of dirt roads and jeep trails that I can't ride.

If you're looking for a DR or a KLR - this Triumph ain't for you. This isn't a more expensive KLR, it's a totally different class of motorcycle like the GS is. I'm anxiously awaiting a test ride on the Triumph, I think it might just be perfect BMW alternative for me.
With all those miles, when do you find time to do the Final Drive repair?

Utah? That's it? I'm taking my KLR to Alaska, wanna tag along?

I am a KLR rider that is torn betwen the GS800 and this Tiger. These are what I want.

Not a monster in size (GS1200), not a crazy Dakar Bike (KTM 9*0). Big enough to two up weekend tours (or longer if needed), yet small enough for me to handle on the dirt roads I like.

These two are Adventure Bikes.

Until I graduate from College though, no new bikes....

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #1643
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
Of course! It must remind you of British cuisine!

Perhaps you can verify if what I heard is true... that the British believe it's a sin to enjoy your food, so they cook accordingly!

Just kidding! I love me some Bangers and Mash or some Spotted Dick!
Only when eating McDonalds, Burger King or KFC and other fine cuisine from this fine land
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #1644
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
With all those miles, when do you find time to do the Final Drive repair?

Utah? That's it? I'm taking my KLR to Alaska, wanna tag along?

I am a KLR rider that is torn betwen the GS800 and this Tiger. These are what I want.

Not a monster in size (GS1200), not a crazy Dakar Bike (KTM 9*0). Big enough to two up weekend tours (or longer if needed), yet small enough for me to handle on the dirt roads I like.

These two are Adventure Bikes.

Until I graduate from College though, no new bikes....
Ragin dood....where ya been
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #1645
allanmca
rollin rollin rollin..

Oddometer: 56
I hear ya Ragin. I'm still enjoying the KLR, but its underpowered. Perfect for the offroad I ride though.
I put an 800GS through hell this year in Cali. 130mph on highway, then offroad torture through Mendocino, including knee-high watercrossings.
Taken a 1200GS through Old Dale Rd offroad bliss in Arizona and it stood up well to that.
Unless the 800XC lives up to those expectations I'll just have to dig a little deeper into the money-box and get my BMW tattoo to go with an 800GS.
Kawa ZR-7
allanmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #1646
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Only when eating McDonalds, Burger King or KFC and other fine cuisine from this fine land
I agree. I was talking about food, though... what do those crap factories have to do with food?

Improve your cosmic karma here!

ag_streak screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 11:34 AM
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #1647
Effigy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hi to all the people here.

Don't know if i'm repeating someone but prices have been revealed for the Italian market:

Triumph Tiger 800: 8990
Triumph Tiger 800XC: 9990
Effigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #1648
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,607
Now I'm starting to think of how great it would be to do a wine and food tour of Italy, down one side and up the other, on an 800...............
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #1649
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s
Because KLR's suck. I've owned 3 different KLRs, and a DR. The DR was a very nice DS, but it's no match for one of these "adventure touring" style bikes on a long haul. I seriously don't have much positive to say about the KLRs, except that they're cheap, so I'll leave it at that. After all of this, I'm back to one bike that does do it all, a 1200GS Adventure.The GS handles as well; is as fast; stops as well; and is more comfortable on the road than just about any dedicated road bike I have owned - it just has the added benefit of the (relatively marginal) off-road ability.

The DR an KLR are comparatively much slower, less comfortable, have vastly worse brakes, etc. and are still too heavy, fragile, and poorly suspended to be "real" dirtbikes. Easier to ride off-road than the GS for sure, but you pay a huge on-road penalty for it. That works well for some, just not for me.

A typical weekend on my GS involves several hundred road miles linking dirt and gravel roads, plus some fire roads and jeep trails. The DR and KLR could do the same rides, they were just nowhere near as enjoyable on the road sections. Or, shooting off to visit friends 800-miles away and maybe throwing in some dirt roads and camping on the way home, or heading out to Utah (4,000+ miles RT) this spring. Possible on the DR of course - just nowhere near as much fun. Or, I could take a dedicated road bike, and then just look lustingly at the hundreds of dirt roads and jeep trails that I can't ride.

If you're looking for a DR or a KLR - this Triumph ain't for you. This isn't a more expensive KLR, it's a totally different class of motorcycle like the GS is. I'm anxiously awaiting a test ride on the Triumph, I think it might just be perfect BMW alternative for me.
Single dual sport bikes work well in certain situations, won't match a BMW GS adv in others. On road the GS wins of course but my DR650 does quite well on our tight, beat up California paved back roads. Rougher the better. The GS does OK on this stuff but the DR is much faster ... but does lack in brakes. But on a 370 lbs. wet weight bike ... who needs brakes? Last BMW GS adv we weighed came in about 700 plus lbs. loaded up, full fuel.

Can the average solo rider pick up a BMW GS adv if it falls? How about if the rider is pinned? Now try that on a muddy road ... or ice!

Depending on what you consider "off road", I'd say the BMW GS adv is rather limited ... and I would think the new Tiger should do a lot better. But until we start getting first hand ride reports on the new Tiger, can't say for sure.

I've been on rides with GS guys in mud and deep sand. Not good. Two turned around, one tried to make it .... bike ended up in the bucket of a rancher's tractor. Took four guys to get it in and out without damage. My DR650 struggled but made it through pretty easy. Lifting that GS was what hurt me

You could never take a GS very far off road in Baja. Sure, you might be OK in places but eventually Baja will get you riding that bike. Even my DR is a no-go in places. The difference is I can do probably 75% to 85% of whats there. The GS? maybe 30% ? New Tiger? I think it will do pretty well if kept from most radical sections.

DR's and KLR's have there uses. Both are considered excellent RTW travel bikes. Cheap and cheerful ... and reliable. There are dozens of riders out there NOW riding these bikes in crazy-ass places where a GS would struggle mightily. I won't even bring up reliability. Don't want to get banned here. BMW GS's are scared Cows here on ADV Rider.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #1650
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
Now I'm starting to think of how great it would be to do a wine and food tour of Italy, down one side and up the other, on an 800...............
You mean like this...

from our Alps tour this summer. Didn't quite ride down one side and up the other but hey it was still fun. Only thing that could have made it better according to my wife was if she was on her Street Triple instead of the F800R.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote