Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #1636
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Curious to see what the year old resale on these will eventually be. I have an 09 Daytona 675 with 2600 miles and I would love to get $7K for it but no takers. Will the 800 Tiger go the same route? Doubt it, but I suspect that there will be a lot of "cheap"er 08-09 1050's out there.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #1637
desertridernm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmca
Just spoke with dealer in Atlanta. They'll have them in January. Expecting $10k for 800 and $11k for 800 XC. He's getting updated from his Triumph rep every few weeks and they'll let me know the price as soon as he has it.

He actually said he's going to sell some of his own bikes and take an 800XC. The demand is growing quick. I think that, unless you start putting down a deposit now, you'll be lucky to get your hands on one until end of 2011.

He did have a tempting 2006 Tiger 955 with 16000 miles - $5k.
Half the price, get it now, and then swap out for the 800 XC in a year. Anyone know of problems with the 2006 Tiger?

A
I had an 06' Tiger and traded it in earlier this year on a 2010 R1200RT. Tiger was a good bike, but never was happy with the wind coverage. MRA Vario screen didn't help. Dash was poorly lit, couldn't read gauges in low light conditions, and turn signal indicators were barely visible. Has a suspect charging system which always led me to be paranoid of an electrical failure (never happened though). Also got 40 mpg at best. That triple is a cool motor though! Got the BMW because after a test ride I realized it was a superior road bike compared to the Tiger. If you plan on riding a Tiger down dirt roads, I can tell you air filter changes are a pain and the bike is top heavy. The new Tiger is a good looking bike, but do you really want to risk trashing a $12K+ bike in the dirt? Why not just have a capable road bike and a low cost DS bike (KLR, DR, etc.)? One bike cannot do it all.
desertridernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #1638
nomosnow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertridernm
I had an 06' Tiger and traded it in earlier this year on a 2010 R1200RT. Tiger was a good bike, but never was happy with the wind coverage. MRA Vario screen didn't help. Dash was poorly lit, couldn't read gauges in low light conditions, and turn signal indicators were barely visible. Has a suspect charging system which always led me to be paranoid of an electrical failure (never happened though). Also got 40 mpg at best. That triple is a cool motor though! Got the BMW because after a test ride I realized it was a superior road bike compared to the Tiger. If you plan on riding a Tiger down dirt roads, I can tell you air filter changes are a pain and the bike is top heavy. The new Tiger is a good looking bike, but do you really want to risk trashing a $12K+ bike in the dirt? Why not just have a capable road bike and a low cost DS bike (KLR, DR, etc.)? One bike cannot do it all.
Nice post agree with you my KLR usually looks more like a agriculture implement then a motorcycle and the air cleaner is always dirty. So do I want to subject a bike that will cost at least 2 times what a KLR costs to that type of punishment?

I bet you that a KLR pounds down a dusty long gravel road as good or better the the new Triumph. XC would . Note there is 28 degrees of Rake on the Klr versus 23 .1 degrees on the Triumph .
nomosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #1639
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67
Curious to see what the year old resale on these will eventually be. I have an 09 Daytona 675 with 2600 miles and I would love to get $7K for it but no takers. Will the 800 Tiger go the same route? Doubt it, but I suspect that there will be a lot of "cheap"er 08-09 1050's out there.
Triumph re-sale starts off OK but then plunges.

I owned a '95 Tiger (1st year in USA), a '99 Girlie Tiger (first year for Girlie chassis/tank), and NOW have a '07 1050 Tiger (1st year of "roadie" Tiger)

So ... you can see I don't always follow my own sage advice not to buy 1st year production bikes. I am quite disappointed at the current value of my '07 Tiger. In the last year its dropped about another 15% to 20%. I'm seeing them in the $6000 to $6500 range. Luckily, I bought mine used and got a good deal but current price is not inspiring.

I'm thinking the new Tiger 800 will hold value well for at least two years. After that? who knows?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #1640
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Hey Grifter, it's a Triumph, not a BMW!!
Its true. BMW have about the worst recall and problem record of any large OEM. (not too good in the car area either) Triumph claim the Thai factory is producing really high quality products with super low defect rate. I'm thinking the guys in Hinckley will have to re-double their efforts to match the Thai workers ... all were trained by Brits.

I got a solo factory tour at Triumph. Saw both New and Old factory (post fire). The QA methods they employ are world class. They also use state of the art documentation methods. Everything is bar coded and a color code check off system is used.

I saw super trick Laser measuring tools for checking cylinders, cams and pistons before final assembly. I witnessed these parts being unpacked ... all made in Japan by A.R.T. who make parts for Suzuki, F-1 and others. Very small, low key operation. Very few employees. And almost as clean as the Yamaha factory, where you could eat off the floor.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #1641
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter

The QA methods they employ are world class. They also use state of the art documentation methods. Everything is bar coded and a color code check off system is used.

I saw super trick Laser measuring tools for checking cylinders, cams and pistons before final assembly. I witnessed these parts being unpacked ... all made in Japan by A.R.T. who make parts for Suzuki, F-1 and others. Very small, low key operation. Very few employees. And almost as clean as the Yamaha factory, where you could eat off the floor.
This is not any news - others have too. But before you're there, there is a design process (including economics and testing) and that's where flaws and problems comes from. Of course we need to exclude the usage for what the bike wasn't designed for.

Olvi screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 01:01 AM
Olvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #1642
flinders_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Here are some specs, quoted from the Triumph Australia site.

800XC:

Frame
Tubular Steel trellis frame
Swingarm
Twin-sided, cast aluminium alloy
Front Wheel
36-spoke 21 x 2.5in, aluminium rim
Rear Wheel
32 spoke, 17 x 4.25in
Front Tyre
90/90 ZR 21
Rear Tyre
150/70 ZR 17
Front Suspension
Showa 45mm upside down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 220mm travel
Rear Suspension
Showa Monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound damping 215mm rear wheel travel
Front Brakes
Twin 308mm floating discs, Nissin 4 piston radial calipers (ABS model available)
Rear Brakes
Single 255mm disc, Nissin 2 piston sliding caliper (ABS model available)

Dimensions

Length
2215mm (87.1in)
Width (Handlebars)
865mm (34.0in)
Height
1390mm (54.7in)
Seat Height
845-865mm (33.2 - 34.0in)
Wheelbase
1568mm (61.7in)
Rake/Trail
23.1 degree/91.1mm
Wet Weight (homologated)
215kg 473lbs
Fuel Tank Capacity
19 litres (5.0 USgal)

Tiger 800:

Frame
Tubular Steel trellis frame
Swingarm
Braced, twin-sided, aluminium alloy
Front Wheel
Cast aluminium alloy, 10 spoke, 19 x 2.5in
Rear Wheel
Cast aluminium alloy, 10 spoke, 17 x 4.25in
Front Tyre
110/80 ZR 19
Rear Tyre
150/70 ZR 17
Front Suspension
Showa 43mm upside down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 180mm travel
Rear Suspension
Showa Monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound damping 170mm rear wheel travel
Front Brakes
Twin 308mm floating discs, Nissin 4 piston radial calipers (ABS model available)
Rear Brakes
Single 255mm disc, Nissin 2 piston sliding caliper (ABS model available)

Dimensions

Length
2215mm (87.1in)
Width (Handlebars)
795mm (31.3in)
Height
1350mm (53.1in)
Seat Height
810-830mm (31.9 - 32.7in)
Wheelbase
1555mm (62.1in)
Rake/Trail
23.7 degree/86.2mm
Wet Weight (homologated)
210kg 462lbs
Fuel Tank Capacity
19 litres (5.0 USgal)

flinders_72 screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 01:58 AM
flinders_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #1643
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomosnow
Nice post agree with you my KLR usually looks more like a agriculture implement then a motorcycle and the air cleaner is always dirty. So do I want to subject a bike that will cost at least 2 times what a KLR costs to that type of punishment?

I bet you that a KLR pounds down a dusty long gravel road as good or better the the new Triumph. XC would . Note there is 28 degrees of Rake on the Klr versus 23 .1 degrees on the Triumph .
Ah the spec sheet.... Apparently we only need a 3" penis to reproduce......Are you having a bit lopped off?

Good luck riding that spec sheet...it'll get great gas mileage!
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #1644
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
Ah the spec sheet.... Apparently we only need a 3" penis to reproduce......Are you having a bit lopped off?

now back to work

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #1645
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:

except that a 10" penis is much much better (form what i hear, not personal experience unfortunately) so.... all those with 6" or less should stop trying to procreate because we obviously weren't designed for it..
Old 11-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #1646
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
not enthused at all

I'm not enthused at all by this bike, too small.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #1647
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds

now back to work
Oh yes...I've just got my welding gas sorted..... Time for the winter stove!

You made that pattern yet? :)
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #1648
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertridernm
snip: Why not just have a capable road bike and a low cost DS bike (KLR, DR, etc.)? One bike cannot do it all.
Because KLR's suck. I've owned 3 different KLRs, and a DR. The DR was a very nice DS, but it's no match for one of these "adventure touring" style bikes on a long haul. I seriously don't have much positive to say about the KLRs, except that they're cheap, so I'll leave it at that. After all of this, I'm back to one bike that does do it all, a 1200GS Adventure.The GS handles as well; is as fast; stops as well; and is more comfortable on the road than just about any dedicated road bike I have owned - it just has the added benefit of the (relatively marginal) off-road ability.

The DR an KLR are comparatively much slower, less comfortable, have vastly worse brakes, etc. and are still too heavy, fragile, and poorly suspended to be "real" dirtbikes. Easier to ride off-road than the GS for sure, but you pay a huge on-road penalty for it. That works well for some, just not for me.

A typical weekend on my GS involves several hundred road miles linking dirt and gravel roads, plus some fire roads and jeep trails. The DR and KLR could do the same rides, they were just nowhere near as enjoyable on the road sections. Or, shooting off to visit friends 800-miles away and maybe throwing in some dirt roads and camping on the way home, or heading out to Utah (4,000+ miles RT) this spring. Possible on the DR of course - just nowhere near as much fun. Or, I could take a dedicated road bike, and then just look lustingly at the hundreds of dirt roads and jeep trails that I can't ride.

If you're looking for a DR or a KLR - this Triumph ain't for you. This isn't a more expensive KLR, it's a totally different class of motorcycle like the GS is. I'm anxiously awaiting a test ride on the Triumph, I think it might just be perfect BMW alternative for me.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #1649
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Thumb

Quote:
Oh yes...I've just got my welding gas sorted..... Time for the winter stove!

You made that pattern yet? :)
No, stop naggin' , I'm going out to have a couple of beers to celebrate the fact that 'according to the spec sheet' I have a fully functioning penis and the spec sheet is good enough for me

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #1650
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Triumph re-sale starts off OK but then plunges.
It actually depends on which model. The Modern Classics hold their value surprisingly well after the initial depreciation hit.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote