Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #16501
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,291
BMW F650s, the old thumper model, came from the factory with a radial and bias ply tire with warnings that if you didn't run tires like that you'd die in a fiery crash.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #16502
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Bike pulls to the right

Hello Inmates,

Wanted to check and see if this is a common/inherant design issue with the 800XC.

Basically, if you take your hands off the bars while going straight down the road.......the bike will pull to the right. It's very subtle to correct....but basically, I have to continuously counter steer the bike to keep it going straight. The only other way to make the bike go straight (without hands on the bars), is to lean my body off to the left of the bike (i.e., like I'm looking around the left side of the windshield).

Most people won't notice it, but I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists....and on trips where I ride day, after day, it starts to cause me issues.

After testing every thing I thought was causing the problem, like the crown of the road, loose spokes, etc., I finally took the bike to the dealer. They confirmed the issue, and worked with Triumph to try to correct the problem (three weeks in the shop). They adjusted the front end, tightened spokes, put a new wheel on the front, etc., and could not resolve the problem.

Finally, the tech called me and told me that he took to brand new 800XC's off of the show room floor......Guess what???? HE SAID THAT BOTH OF THE NEW BIKES DO IT TOO!!!! He said I was welcome to come down and ride them as well to confirm.

I finally figured out a bandaid solution. I put my Giant Loop Coyote soft bag on the bike......then PUT A 15 LB. BUMBELL IN THE LEFT SIDE OFF THE BAG......and guess what, the bike tracks straight with my hands off the bars!!!!!!!!!!

Next time you're out on your bike, wondering if you could test to see if your bike does the same and advise

Thanks in advance.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #16503
gusutavot800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Mine does the same thing, I read somewhere that the additional weight of the exhaust on the right side is what does it, it weights around 15 lbs, I would like to hear from people who have a lighter aftermarket exhaust, maybe it makes a difference
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #16504
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Hello Inmates,

Wanted to check and see if this is a common/inherant design issue with the 800XC.

Basically, if you take your hands off the bars while going straight down the road.......the bike will pull to the right. It's very subtle to correct....but basically, I have to continuously counter steer the bike to keep it going straight. The only other way to make the bike go straight (without hands on the bars), is to lean my body off to the left of the bike (i.e., like I'm looking around the left side of the windshield).

Most people won't notice it, but I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists....and on trips where I ride day, after day, it starts to cause me issues.

After testing every thing I thought was causing the problem, like the crown of the road, loose spokes, etc., I finally took the bike to the dealer. They confirmed the issue, and worked with Triumph to try to correct the problem (three weeks in the shop). They adjusted the front end, tightened spokes, put a new wheel on the front, etc., and could not resolve the problem.

Finally, the tech called me and told me that he took to brand new 800XC's off of the show room floor......Guess what???? HE SAID THAT BOTH OF THE NEW BIKES DO IT TOO!!!! He said I was welcome to come down and ride them as well to confirm.

I finally figured out a bandaid solution. I put my Giant Loop Coyote soft bag on the bike......then PUT A 15 LB. BUMBELL IN THE LEFT SIDE OFF THE BAG......and guess what, the bike tracks straight with my hands off the bars!!!!!!!!!!

Next time you're out on your bike, wondering if you could test to see if your bike does the same and advise

Thanks in advance.
My XC had this issue. I corrected it by adjusting the front wheel.

Now, on a level road, removing my hands from the bars, the bike tracks straight.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #16505
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
UMMM... why do you need to take your hands off the bars for extended periods of time??? The way I would fix it is not to take my hands off the bars.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #16506
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
UMMM... why do you need to take your hands off the bars for extended periods of time??? The way I would fix it is not to take my hands off the bars.
Uh ya......

Taking my hands off the bars was to method used to determine the problem.

What I like to do (which I can on my other bikes) is to "rest" my hands lightly on the bars while riding.....and therefore, minimize the vibes that are transferred into my hands/wrists. With this issue on my XC, I have to "counter steer" 24/7.....and push one side, pull on the other, or a combination of both to keep the bike going straight. This requires more pressure on the bars....which sends more "vibes" into my hands....and thus aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome.

I bought this bike because of it super smooth/low vibration motor. However, because I have to continuously counter steer the bike.......it is causing me more carpal tunnel issues than other bikes that have more vibes....but don't have to be counter steered.

The Breeze screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 11:58 AM
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #16507
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
My klr did this, it was cured by tweeking the rear wheel. Can't remember which way to tell you to adjust it at the moment. It was simple though, 1/2 turn on one side, ride and see if it was better.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #16508
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Anyone know the stock size orange indicator bulb for the 800? Can I get it at any auto parts store, or maybe a BMW dealer (closer than the Triumph dealer)?
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #16509
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the tires. I went ahead and ordered a set of the Full Bores. I would have liked the longevity of the K60s, but considering that I could get a full set of tires for less than the price of one K60 rear, well, it's hard to not at least give them a try.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #16510
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Uh ya......

Taking my hands off the bars was to method used to determine the problem.

What I like to do (which I can on my other bikes) is to "rest" my hands lightly on the bars while riding.....and therefore, minimize the vibes that are transferred into my hands/wrists. With this issue on my XC, I have to "counter steer" 24/7.....and push one side, pull on the other, or a combination of both to keep the bike going straight. This requires more pressure on the bars....which sends more "vibes" into my hands....and thus aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome.

I bought this bike because of it super smooth/low vibration motor. However, because I have to continuously counter steer the bike.......it is causing me more carpal tunnel issues than other bikes that have more vibes....but don't have to be counter steered.
Ic. Sounds like something is out of wack. Like others said, check wheel alignment. I can rest my hands lightly on the bars with no counter steer. I have never adjusted anything. Good luck.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #16511
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Hello Inmates,

Thanks in advance.
Do remember that paved roads are crowned in the center for water run-off, so all road surfaces will slope downward which if you drive on the right side of the road will cause the bike to slowly drift right. No road is engineered flat otherwise standing water would be a hazard. On a straight empty stretch of road you could try riding in the left lane and see if it drifts left. If that is the case it is likely just the road design. Do this at your own risk of course.

It could be the muffler too. I have a carbon LV which is fairly light, so I haven't noticed the problem.

marloweluke screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 05:35 PM Reason: add on
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #16512
unibrau
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Do remember that paved roads are crowned in the center for water run-off, so all road surfaces will slope downward which if you drive on the right side of the road will cause the bike to slowly drift right. No road is engineered flat otherwise standing water would be a hazard. On a straight empty stretch of road you could try riding in the left lane and see if it drifts left. If that is the case it is likely just the road design. Do this at your own risk of course.

It could be the muffler too. I have a carbon LV which is fairly light, so I haven't noticed the problem.
Exactly what I was going to say
unibrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #16513
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hello Inmates,

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I've ridden on the opposite side of the road (which should cause me to drift left)....but the bike is either balanced (if the camber is steep enough) or if the camber is slight.....it will actually pull to the right (up hill!). I've adjusted the rear axle/chain...still pulls right. The dealer tried the above....readjusted everything and it stills pull to the right. They even put a new front wheel on to test/verify the spokes/hub alignment.....still pulls to the right.

The next step was for them to swap front ends. This would verify that it's either the front end or the frame. They were going to do this, until they pulled the two new units off the floor, and they did the same thing.

I'm pretty sure it's a design issue (i.e., the weight of the big can coupled with the extremely steep rake of the front end). Like I said, it's very slight.....and most people, without carpal tunnel issues, on day rides.....wouldn't even notice the issue.

Oh well, at least I have a fix.....hang 15lbs on the left side of the bike (or less, if I install a lighter weight exhaust). My plan is to mount a tool tube on the left side of the bike (I always carry these tools, pump, parts, etc. anyway) and this should balance the bike.

It's just kind of a bummer that I have to do this............ Subsequent to this noticing this, I've taken my DR650 and WR250R on the same roads....taken my hands off the bars, and the bikes track straight as an arrow.

The Breeze screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 06:10 PM
Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #16514
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Anyone know the stock size orange indicator bulb for the 800? Can I get it at any auto parts store, or maybe a BMW dealer (closer than the Triumph dealer)?
FYI, if anyone is interested, it's an Osram 5009 Amber, and the BMW dealer does have them. They don't seem to be able to look them up by bulb number, but there was a G650GS on the floor that had the exact same indicators, so the guy was able to look it up by the parts diagram for that.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #16515
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, I've ridden on the opposite side of the road (which should cause me to drift left)....but the bike is either balanced (if the camber is steep enough) or if the camber is slight.....it will actually pull to the right (up hill!). I've adjusted the rear axle/chain...still pulls right. The dealer tried the above....readjusted everything and it stills pull to the right. They even put a new front wheel on to test/verify the spokes/hub alignment.....still pulls to the right.

The next step was for them to swap front ends. This would verify that it's either the front end or the frame. They were going to do this, until they pulled the two new units off the floor, and they did the same thing.

I'm pretty sure it's a design issue (i.e., the weight of the big can coupled with the extremely steep rake of the front end). Like I said, it's very slight.....and most people, without carpal tunnel issues, on day rides.....wouldn't even notice the issue.

Oh well, at least I have a fix.....hang 15lbs on the left side of the bike (or less, if I install a lighter weight exhaust). My plan is to mount a tool tube on the left side of the bike (I always carry these tools, pump, parts, etc. anyway) and this should balance the bike.

It's just kind of a bummer that I have to do this............ Subsequent to this noticing this, I've taken my DR650 and WR250R on the same roads....taken my hands off the bars, and the bikes track straight as an arrow.
Sounds like you've done all you can do... I guess aftermarket hard luggage hanging even further out from the bike on the right side would exacerbate the problem.